Dan's Log - I used to lift. I still do, but I used to, too. (Gary Knuckles Style currently)

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Dan

Dan's Log - I used to lift. I still do, but I used to, too. (Gary Knuckles Style currently)

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm

How does one begin a training log?

Well...maybe open with some

STATS

Male, 42
6'1" 225lbs
Press 170x1
Bench 235x2
Squat HB 330x2
Squat LB 245x5
Dead (conv) 390x1

History (possible TMI warning)

I started lifting about 8 years ago. Up until that point, I honestly thought people who lifted weights were mentally deficient. I mean, all you need to be is thin and have cardiovascular capacity, right? Muscles make you slow and inflexible anyway. I was about 160lbs. My job involves travelling 15 days per month and fixing machines. My territory is every time zone from Massachusetts to Hawaii. I eventually realized that even the most slovenly of my coworkers had an advantage on me: average adult male strength. Something clicked.

I hit the internet and quickly learned that smart people use barbells and do "compound exercises" and cardio can burn muscle?! :shock: I found Stronglifts 5x5, which is a very well designed website for rank sub-novices. I mean, I'd never heard of or seen a squat. Like, you can do that with a barbell? And here are the steps? Same thing with deadlifts. The pressing exercises were no surprise, but by the time I got to rows, I was obsessed with the whole idea. I found a barbell, plates, bench and power rack on Craigslist and gave the guy asking price if he'd help me disassemble and load the thing into the back of a borrowed truck. I'll never forget the way he looked at me. It was a sort of patronizing pity, although he tried to hide it. "Happy lifting, man!" he said as I closed the tailgate.

Let me not give you the entire painful blow by blow of the intervening years, merely the broad strokes. All lifts started with the empty bar. Form was youtube fail level, but I didn't know until I finally got something to record myself with. I heard great things about the Starting Strength site and books and made my way over. I read Rip's forum from the back to the front and bought in hard - books, video, t-shirt. I resetted way too many times, did GOMAD when I shouldn't have, and saw an SSC, but still ended up at 250lbs with a 205 squat, 115 bench and all the tendinitis I could bear. To be fair, I had metric tons of stress from work and family as well. I ended up with a full hormonal collapse and severe depression. (Don't worry, it totally gets better.)

Long story short, got on replacement testosterone and thyroid meds. This helped a bunch, but I was still riddled with fatigue. It turns out I have intolerances to milk, eggs and almonds. My guts were quite inflamed. When I got the food situation straight, I was able to train with some consistency and success. I mention all this not to explain my substandard progress, but maybe someone reading this might have medical issues they don't realize. My doctor did his best and it still took a couple years to get this all figured out. Some of us have weird bodies that don't act right, but that just means we have to try harder and look deeper for solutions.

I might be losing some folks here, let's hit them with something punchy, direct and to the point...

Goals

I like the idea of the 200/300/400/500 benchmark. Also, I would like to not get any fatter.

All right, back on track!

Recent Training

Almost all of my good training has been in the last year and a half. It started when I found St. Andrew the Baker's Programming forum. He confirmed what I had suspected but was too apprehensive to put into practice: one can work in other rep ranges besides 5, and those rep ranges can be cycled weekly. I got so much progress out of his blog posts and answers to forum members that I gladly bought his 5/3/1 and GGW templates. I got 9 months out of the first one and put 35lbs on my press, 50 on my bench and around 100 on my deadlift. I probably stayed on it a couple cycles too long, however. A couple weeks ago, I finished my first cycle through his GGW HLM template. I think it is a good program, but I only added 5lbs to my press. My bench dropped by 10lbs and I realized I have to be honest with myself about my squat and dead.

Change is Needed

I never was comfortable with the low bar squat. I feel off balance and uncoordinated when performing it. The tight hip angle inflames the soft tissue around the joints. Jamming my knees out makes this worse. I get the elbow AIDS real bad, bro. My best run came when I cycled 8/5/2 with high bar, but I felt like I was missing out somehow. I'm switching to high bar and that's that. Also, I started filming myself from the front when squatting and my left knee was very visibly lower than the right. I got confirmation from an orthopedic leg guy that I'm 11mm shorter on the left side, so now it's time to experiment with heel lifts. High bar with a narrower, less toes-out stance seems to lessen the discrepancy.

I have a hell of a time getting my lower back set on conventional deads. I'm one of those guys whose back position is "about as good as it's going to get" as Rip would say. What happens when the bar gets a couple inches off the floor is my lower back extends into position and stays there for most of the lift. Then, when I get back to that point on the way down, my back loses extension again. The open mindedness of this forum inspired me to give sumo a try. I've also heard it said that when someone gets good at sumo, their conventional extension improves as well. Ideally, I'll be able to do both at some point.

Looking good, finish line is in sight...

The Plan
  • Increase work capacity
  • Decrease rest time
  • Increase frequency and volume on squat, bench and dead
  • De-emphasize press for now to allow bench strength and technique to catch up
  • Find solution for leg length and practice high bar squat
  • Practice sumo dead
  • Take slack out of lifts in preparation to make the most out of Montana Method guidelines when they become available
  • Experiment with Nuckols programs in meantime
Thanks for having a look!
Last edited by Dan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: DLS Log - I used to lift. I still do, but I used to, too.

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Welcome to the logs, @DLS!
Thanks for sharing your training.

There are several lifters here doing test replacement, and at least one i know of with different length legs.
@TimK may have some good suggestions for adjusting for that.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm

I actually completed a week of the new Plan already. I pulled the general idea from Nuckols' 28 Free Programs download. I used the 3 day per week beginner programs for bench, squat and dead. I'm not a beginner, but for sumo and high bar, I might as well be. And just for kicks, let's see how far I can get on bench, too.

Both bench and squat have a 3x8 day, a 3x6 day and a 3x4 day. The last sets are supposed to be AMRAP, but in keeping with The Plan, I dropped them in favor of more Hanleyan rep schemes. I chose starting weights that might be a bit light to be conservative. The beginner deadlift program has a 15x1 day, a 10x1 day and a 5x1 day. I like this because it gives me plenty of practice setting up in the sumo position. Called my sumo max at a conservative 300 for calculation purposes.

Unless otherwise noted, all squats will be high bar and all deads will be sumo. sets x reps

Week 1

Monday 3/5/18

Squat 155 3x5, 2x4

Bench 155 3x5, 2x4

Dead 60% 185 15x1 Every minute on the minute for work capacity and time efficiency - let's see how long I can keep this up.

Everything felt fast and light, which is a good way to start a new cycle.

Wednesday 3/7/18

Squat 165 3x4, 2x3

Bench 165 3x4, 2x3

Dead 70% 215 10x1 EMOM

DB hammer curls 20lbs 12+14x4+3=71 total reps - These were done as myoreps. I did these for the first time last week at the same weight and got 47 total reps. A 24 rep increase seems ridiculous. I should probably go up to 25lbs next week.

Got faint on the descent of a few of those deads. Had tunnel vision, hearing went strange. I've had that happen a few times on conventional deads, but always at 350+. I think I'm able to really get full extension for the whole rep. Video shows nice neutral lumbar curve. Maybe my breath is too big.

Friday 3/9/18

Squat 175 3x3, 2x2

Bench 175 3x3, 2x2

Dead 80% 245 5x1 EMOM

BB rows 135 3x8 I do these from 4.5 inch blocks. This allows me to start and end every rep on the "floor" and yet keep my back in extension the whole time. Otherwise, I'd look like Niki Sims in the StSt BB Row video with my butt higher than my shoulders. No thanks. And no offense to Niki, she's stronger than me in every lift but the press.

Possibly getting too deep on squats, as my hips are acting up just a bit. Smoothed out by final 2 sets. Got super dizzy on the first work rep of deads. Starting to exhale a bit on the descent helped. Weights are still light, but my extension looks great and much less lumbar fatigue. Hips don't seem to mind sumo, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Next week will see 5lbs added to squats and bench, 15lbs to deads.
Last edited by Dan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm Welcome to the logs, @DLS!
Thanks for sharing your training.
Thanks for this forum. You folks have created something special and I wouldn't keep my log anywhere else.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 am

Saturday 3/10/18

Prowler day

2x40yd pushes with empty Prowler

8x40yd pushes with 70lbs added

22 minutes total

First time in a month I've been able to do these because of my travel schedule for work. It's amazing how quick conditioning regresses. I need to find a way to condition on the road without disrupting my lifting schedule. Also, starting with the empty sled is a better idea than just loading it up and getting to work. It seems to prevent my legs from stiffening up afterwards.

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Week 2

Monday 3/12/18

Squat 160 3x5, 2x4

Bench 160 3x5, 2x4

Deads 65% 200 15x1 EMOM

DB Pullovers 25lbs 2x12

I feel most coordinated with a narrower squat stance with less toes out angle. The hips like it better too. Bar speed is better and I can get the plates to rattle at the top. To Future Me: just stick with high bar!

After doing more research, my deadlift stance seems to be more of a hybrid or narrow stance sumo.
  • Toes are nowhere near plates
  • Toe angle is closer to low bar squat
  • Hips are still behind bar, though not as far back as in conventional, and definitely not jammed up against bar like competition sumo
  • Knees are just over bar and shin angle is tilted forward
  • Still need to use my lats to keep the bar close to me
I tried a moderate sumo, but that was rough on the hips. Competition sumo is right the fuck out. The whole idea of getting away from conventional was to be able to set up and maintain better extension, which is working so far. Hoping it holds up at higher weights.

Decided to try these pullovers I'd been hearing so much about. The movement felt super awkward to me. I did them crosswise over a bench with bent elbows. I'm curious to see the soreness pattern on these, because I didn't feel them in the chest or lats. Tips are welcome.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Wednesday 3/14/18

Squat 170 3x4, 2x3

Bench 170 3x4, 2x3

Dead 75% 230 10x1 EMOM

DB hammer curls 25lbs myoreps 10 + 4x4 + 3 = 29 total reps
- down from 71 reps at 20lbs last week. Myoreps are a strange animal. But I like them for 2 reasons: I can knock them out quickly and they don't give me wrist, elbow and forearm pain. Every other time I tried curling (db, ez bar, barbell) no matter how conservatively I programmed them, I'd have to quit after a few weeks or my pressing would be affected. Of course, it might be that high bar squatting has let the elbow AIDS heal up.

I'm really having to slow the descent on the squats to the point that I'm minimizing the stretch reflex. Any sort of bounce in the hole really hammers the outside of my hips. Yes, even at this laughably low weight. In the past, I've dealt with trochanteric bursitis twice and it is the worst. I'm pretty sure it has to do with bouncing out of the hole with knees jammed out. Not sure how everyone else gets away with this... I remember Rip talking about how he was the only person he knows who would get it. I thought about mentioning my experience, but since I had nothing useful to add, I decided not to. Maybe I should recommend eliminating the stretch reflex. That would go over well. :roll:

Bench still feeling snappy.

2 plates+ on sumo. The challenge here is all setup and form. The weight is light enough to not even be a consideration. If I can finish this 3 week cycle with a new 1RM around 350 with solid technique, I'll be quite happy. Never quite made it to 400 conventional. If I can do it sumo, then I guess I'll be a sumo guy.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Thursday 3/15/18

DB Rows 25lbs 4x10 - pulling db low to hip area

I decided to experiment with these on my off day because of the thread about BB rows making shoulders hurt. Having long forearms myself, the last bit of ROM tends to push my shoulders forward which can be irritating. And as many times as I've tried rows this way in the past, they don't seem to do much for my lats. However, pulling the db low to the hip and not letting my elbow get too far behind my torso seems to solve all that. I suppose the BB version would be something like a Yates row.

Friday 3/16/18

Squat 180 3x3, 2x2

Bench 180 3x3, 2x2

Squats are starting to hurt my hips again, goddammit. Not sure what to do about this. It could just be the way in which I'm programming them right now, which is probably a little more aggressive than it needs to be long term. Might have to get an idea of my 1rm and switch over to HPS. Bench is slowing down as well. I wanted to take the slack out of those two lifts for a few weeks, but next week might be the end of that. I expect they'll both have a 1rm of 225, give or take.

This workout was interrupted by news of an emergency trip. Had to get my shit together and fly to Philadelphia and then drive up the turnpike to Wilkes-Barre. Luckily, the whole trip only kept me away from home for 27 hours.

Saturday 3/17/18

Deadlift 85% 260 5x1 EMOM

Still trying to nail down form here. My hips shoot up about an inch at the start of the pull. Need to pull the slack out of my hamstrings while setting up.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm

Week 3 - Pivot to HPS

Monday 3/19/18

Squat 160 2x5, 3x4

Bench 160 3x5, 3x4

Dead 55% 170 15x1 EMOM

I will be starting HPS next week with both squat and bench calculated from a 225 e1rm. I will do this week just a bit short in volume to prepare myself and get the weekly rhythm down. Squats feel better, but I have to do them slower than I want to. Speed kills (the hips) evidentally. The sumo deads were very light today as a prep for 1rm testing on Friday. BUT....they felt like total garbage. Looking back at the video, every rep was wildly different. I don't think I have the hip mobility for sumo. I went back to conventional for a few light reps afterwards and it seems the higher I can keep my hips, the better lumbar extension I can achieve. Keeping the hip angle as open as possible seems to help this. After some experimentation which ended up with me in an almost SLDL position, I said fuck it and took off my Do-Wins. In sockfoot mode, my conventional setup looks somewhat better. In fact, better than I thought it would, as how much can a 3/4" heel make, really? Enough to matter. Not sure how I can handle the leg length difference without shoes. I will have to take video from the front tomorrow to see. Also, should consult with TimK.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm

@TimK, when I started this log Wilhelm mentioned you also have leg length asymmetry. I looked at your videos and saw the modified shoe and mat you deadlift from. My left side is 11mm shorter, which I hear is not too bad, but standing on 3/8" plywood makes a world of difference with my squat coordination. Another factor is the upper half of my left femur is rotated internally, so my external rotation is also uneven. If you have a few minutes, I have some questions...

How large is your asymmetry?

Did you modify your shoe or have someone do that for you?

Do you use extensions on all your shoes, or only when lifting?

Anything else that you've learned over time that I should know would be helpful.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm

DLS wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm @TimK, when I started this log Wilhelm mentioned you also have leg length asymmetry. I looked at your videos and saw the modified shoe and mat you deadlift from. My left side is 11mm shorter, which I hear is not too bad, but standing on 3/8" plywood makes a world of difference with my squat coordination. Another factor is the upper half of my left femur is rotated internally, so my external rotation is also uneven. If you have a few minutes, I have some questions...

How large is your asymmetry?

Did you modify your shoe or have someone do that for you?

Do you use extensions on all your shoes, or only when lifting?

Anything else that you've learned over time that I should know would be helpful.
1. I have never had it measured precisely. I basically just found the plastic mat that I used to use at a hardware store and when I stood on it I felt like my hips were level. Tried using it in the gym and everything felt better, so I stuck with it. It was 7/8".

2. I brought my weightlifting shoes to a cobbler and told him that I needed the whole shoe raised by 7/8" and it had to be a very dense incompressible material. I just recently got my flats shimmed for deadlifting, so I no longer use the mat at all.

3. Just when lifting, although I might try it for my everyday shoes since it was cheap (my cobbler only charged me $25). It usually doesn't bother me in day-to-day life. The exception is when I have to stand in one spot for a long time, like at a concert. I end up keeping all my weight on the right foot (short side) which causes that foot to get sore after a while.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm 1. I have never had it measured precisely. I basically just found the plastic mat that I used to use at a hardware store and when I stood on it I felt like my hips were level. Tried using it in the gym and everything felt better, so I stuck with it. It was 7/8".

2. I brought my weightlifting shoes to a cobbler and told him that I needed the whole shoe raised by 7/8" and it had to be a very dense incompressible material. I just recently got my flats shimmed for deadlifting, so I no longer use the mat at all.

3. Just when lifting, although I might try it for my everyday shoes since it was cheap (my cobbler only charged me $25). It usually doesn't bother me in day-to-day life. The exception is when I have to stand in one spot for a long time, like at a concert. I end up keeping all my weight on the right foot (short side) which causes that foot to get sore after a while.
Thanks for the info!

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Wednesday 3/21/18

Squat 205x1 @8.5, 190 3x1

Bench 205x1 @8, 190 3x1

Dead 275x1, 305x1, 325x1

DB hammer curls 25lbs myoreps 10+6x4+3=37 total reps - 8
reps more than last week at same weight

Hips are holding up better on squats if I slow my descent and control the bounce out of the bottom. The single to start was a little harder than I thought it would be, but definitely not an @9. I just couldn't fully buy in to sumo deads. I did these singles with no shoes and taking the slack out of the bar like someone had a gun to my head. Guess what, the video looked good. I probably could have gone higher, but I need to drill in form at lower weights, which has been the theme of this log so far. I'm going to call that 325 a 1rm for calculation purposes, but I could have gone higher for sure. Would my form have been as good? Probably not. I definitely see why everyone likes power day, very energizing and motivating.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Friday 3/23/18

Squat 180 3x3

Bench 180 3x3

Dead 260 2x2, 1x1

I kept the volume a couple sets lower than I am shooting for long term, so as not to blow myself out before I even get started. This also helped as I was in a time crunch and had to leave for the airport at 7AM. Everything moved well and the deads looked good on video, barefoot with short leg on 1/2" of hard rubber sheet.

Week 4 - full volume with same intensity as pivot week

Monday 3/26/18

Location: Armor Gym in Knoxville, TN - A large clean space with multiple squat racks and benches. One deadlift platform and 4 slots for olympic lifts, all equipped with bumper plates and bar jacks. Indoor turf track with push and pull sleds. $15 day pass.

Squat 70% 160 3x5, 3x4

Bench 70% 160 3x5, 4x4

SGRDL 165 3x3, 3x2

Wow, so this is what a full volume hypertrophy day feels like. I was able to keep rest times to a minute to start, but heading towards 2.5 minutes near the end. This is still a huge difference in work capacity from where I was a couple months ago. Squats are really getting grooved, now that I've glued on an extra 1/2" on the left shoe. It's not a constant fight to stay symmetrical - it just happens. Bench felt strong and brisk. In trying to decide on a light pull variant for H day, I had to rule out SGDLs and deficits because I simply cannot get into a decent starting position. Some of that is probably my hip mobility, but since my hams are stupid tight, why not stretch them with RDLs? And for some extra upper back action, how about snatch gripping them? Anyway, 165 felt very light, probably too light, but I was able to do them with some snap and with short rests. About 30 hours later, I pinched my shoulder blades together and felt the DOMS big time. Hamstrings are a bit sore, but nothing that should affect me tomorrow, so I guess I hit the sweet spot.

Thanks and credit to @Murelli. I'm starting a run on your HPS template that you outlined here viewtopic.php?p=57840#p57840. It's about 85% the same besides some adjustments in pulling, and I also haven't decided on the H day singles. But it really appeals to me.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 am

Dude, I ran one week without the H day singles and put it back in, because a caloric deficit may get things out of hand.

Also, long live Power Deads.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Wednesday 3/28/18

Squat
75% 165x2
85% 190x1
215 @8
85% 190 2x1

Bench
75% 165x2
85% 190x1
210 @8.5
85% 190 2x1

Dead
70% 225x2
85% 275x1
305 @8
85% 275 2x1

DB hammer curls 25lbs - myoreps 10+6x4+3=37 total reps - the exact same as last week. Not going to raise the weight unless I get at least 40 total reps. My first total at this weight was 29 reps, so that would be an increase of over 30%.

Well, the squats finally got ahead of the bench. I probably could have gotten 220 @8, but let me not get ahead of myself. Squats are getting grooved and I have zero pain in my hips and elbows. The keys are shimming my left leg and doing high bar squats with a narrow stance. I feel totally balanced and can drive the bar quickly out of the hole. Bench was pretty good, although my left shoulder wants to roll out from under me when fatigue sets in. I knew I didn't have 215 in me for an @8 effort, but it's still 5lbs more than last week. Deads were fine. The SGRDLs from H day were effective in stretching my hams.

So now I can calculate new 1rms on all three lifts. I think the best thing to do is complete the current week at the original calculation, and start the next week based on the numbers from the preceding P day (Wednesday). After all, I am still not yet at full volume for an S day. I need to have 12 squat reps, 15 bench reps and 8 to 10 dead reps. Last week was only 9, 9 and 5, respectively. I could also add in singles @7 to precede the 70% sets on H day. Murelli seems to believe in them and I like what he's come up with here.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 am

Friday 3/30/18

Squat 80% 180 4x3 - paused all reps on third set

Bench 80% 180 5x3 - paused all reps on second and fourth set

Dead 80% 260 3x2, 4x1

BB row 105 4x6 - bent to 45 degrees, rowing into lower abs and pausing at the top - trying to make this a lats movement

Squats were very easy, might have to use updated e1rm from P day to calculate S day within the week. Bench is getting tough. I've never done anywhere near this volume of pressing in a week, even when combining bench and standing varieties. My left anterior shoulder is a bit annoyed, but nothing 600mg of ibuprofen doesn't fix. The reps are moving fast, and I'm finding a groove, so I can go with it. Working with such a low weight on deads is interesting. The lift becomes more like the others, which is to say recovery becomes manageable. I've been beating my head against the wall with 2 to 8rms for so long, it almost feels like I'm sandbagging here. But, the last couple reps of the 10 were harder than I predicted, so it's all good. Looking forward to calculating the weights for next week!

Saturday 3/31/18

Prowler push 10x40yds - 2 empty/8 with 70lbs added

Prowler work is so much easier to recover from since I went to HPS. Trying to do it the day after an @9 or @10 deadlift max set was way worse. It would ruin the rest of my Saturday.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:39 am

Murelli wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 am Dude, I ran one week without the H day singles and put it back in, because a caloric deficit may get things out of hand.

Also, long live Power Deads.
I'm up to full set volume now, so I'll add the @7 singles to H day starting next week.

Now when you say Power deads, do you mean the pulls set up on S day, with the single @8 followed by the backoff volume?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Power deads = deadlift as the power day pull.

Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Murelli wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:13 pm Power deads = deadlift as the power day pull.
OK, then I agree. My deads have been never been snappy and I think this will help.