A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Idlehands Lifting and flirting with being Hodge

Post by Idlehands » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am

Idlehands back to being awesome

New log.
PL Background: I've lifted since 6th grade, in my parents basement. Father always said get strong then worry about bodybuilding nonsense later. Always be strong. I spent a lot of time doing all kinds of stuff, then
around 6 or 7 years ago I rediscovered the squat thanks to mkgillman. Then he(I?) convinced each other to do a meet so I could finally get that 405 squat. My first total was
USAPL:
B: 330
Squat: 420
Deadlift: 510

Injuries, dumbness, sour luck and today my bests are

495 squat(home gym)
578.5 deadlift (USAPL)
385 bench(RPS and USAPL)
405 bench(home gym tng)

I dunno what my goals are right now to be honest. Wife passed away 2 weeks ago due to a rare liver cancer that presented in a rare way. I'm moving my home gym from the basement to the garage.
Widow, single dad, son as ASD. I lift right now to basically push against something and be reasonable healthy cause I have to be, I guess therapy?
And to stay hodge.

I have less than a year to compete in RPS again as a submaster where I can nab a bench record too. Which would be fun. I compete cause it's nice to have a line in the sand, and meet people. We'll see what happens. I would love to get a 550 squat, a 600 pull, (not sure I can keep it together for this I have had issues with anything over 520 lately, even though my squat has risen. When I hit the 578, I had failed 455 squat)
I'm pretty sure I have a 440 bench in swinging distance too which is great as I chased 405 for YEARs. Nice to have that milestone done in 2016, and repeated in 2017.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Re: Idlehands Lifting and flirting with being Hodge

Post by Idlehands » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 am

Copy Pasta:
Monday:
Diet. Meh in the right directions

Lifting.

Squats(legit low bar)
275x5x3
Bench paused
275x5x4
Tng 10

Rear delt raises
15 20 25x10
Hammer curls 40x10x3. Can't tell if arms liked or didn't like or neutral.

Pool.

Picked up drylock for garage. Too tired to bother.

Ex and her girlfriend coming over to keep me company tonight. Feelings and emotions are all over the place.

Girl I went to k-12 with who used to tackle me and try to make out in kindergarten started talking to me on messenger cause I'm spamming a stupid fb games.

Noticed she was poly so we chatted. Now she's inviting me to poly cocktail mixers ?

Life is bizarre. I'm gonna hide in my home gym. Or home office. Or go mountain biking. People are strange.

Tuesday

20 minute road ride. Supposed to be 40. I can't math and also hot as shit out. Right into the pool after.

Working on floor in garage. It is not level for shit. Need more shingles to finish. I shoulda self leveled. We'll see how this holds up. I think it's level now but I worry about gaps under the drylock tile. Fortunately I think the worst is closer to the door so nobody deadlifting there.

Ex off to work yesterday am "I'll see you later "
"Um wha? When?"
"Oh we are coming back tonight "
"Oh well ok then "(so goofy for this girl good grief)

Buddy came down to keep me company too. He brought blood oath bourbon and a lamb loin. Like the whole goddamned thing. And a pile of tuna sticks. (Like wrapped long rectangular cubes he cutup and seared )

So we ate all that. And drank.

He also helped me with the floor then we used the water slide and floated in the pool.

Goddamn is summer back? I'm glad I didn't close the pool.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 pm

I can't imagine. My condolences. It sounds like you have a good group of people helping you.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Glad to see you over here!

One of the things that really pissed me off when someone deleted my entire post history is that one of the last things I wrote before I was banned was condolences for you and your son. Really pissed.

Keep kicking ass!

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:22 pm

mgil wrote:Glad to see you over here!

One of the things that really pissed me off when someone deleted my entire post history is that one of the last things I wrote before I was banned was condolences for you and your son. Really pissed.

Keep kicking ass!
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Today:
5th hole on belt. Amazingly last year in May I was in the smallest hole. I couldn't weigh myself this AM cause the scale I think needs batteries. Oh well.
Not sleeping at all at night. Just tossing and turning. Super exhausted today. Also drinking last night. Whoops.

Kiddo fell at school, then was super sad and upset. Probably the last straw so they had me come get him. He's bouncing in the trampoline at the moment so tomorrow is another day.

Gave up at work and did

Squats 285x5x3. Little tougher. Probably the exhaustion, dehydration and borderline hangover. Jeeze not surprised. Working on tightness for these. I don't want that bicep tendonosis to come back
Deadlifts: 315x5 Probably should have done more
OHP: Goddamnit I forgot these! So hot in the basement

Managed to lay the last row of tiles in the garage I could without cutting. Hoping the cut pieces/edges work out fast. It's so hot in there right now. Little bounce here and there in the floor. I'm hoping the next layer smooths that out. It's not perfect but it's pretty goddamned good.

Got a free session to float in a sensory tank this weekend. Fuck it gonna float.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm sorry that you're suffering. I can't imagine what you're going through.

btw I hear those sensory-deprivation float tanks are really cool.

Lmeadows

Post by Lmeadows » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm

440 bench? Great goal...I'd love to see you get that. I've been dealing with my own grieving for the last year, lifting has been great therapy. I hope it helps you too.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Lmeadows wrote:440 bench? Great goal...I'd love to see you get that. I've been dealing with my own grieving for the last year, lifting has been great therapy. I hope it helps you too.
It was absolutely key the last 18 months. The last 3-4 months though I got some nagging injuries that ruined LBBS for me, and I just couldn't do the time under the bar. Like my stress was coming at me from so many directions I couldn't do anything serious lifting wise and recover. Back at it.

I'm hoping the new gym and climate control helps with the bench. I for sure know now that I got 405 that 440 is there. First time I hit 440 I swung at 420 and missed. Barely waited 3 minutes between sets. Anyways.

Today I couldn't get my shit together. Just empty feeling all day. Barely managed to put in time to answer current emails at work. Just barely got outta bed. Not the best when I have to get kiddo on the bus. We managed.

Gave up and worked on the gym for a bit. Did some conference calls. Then said fuck it, Full scoop of riot and my mood changed. WOOHOO. Love that stuff. I may not sleep tonight but fuck it. 6x3

squats;
295x5x3 - feeling fun. Still playing with grip and upper back tightness. Want to avoid tendonosis at all costs. Be tight!
Bench 275x6x3 tng Smoked

Curls 40x10x1 40x20x1
read delt raises
20x10, 20x20
outta here.
Forgot ab wheel. Damnit.

Ex and her girlfriend coming over tonight. Keep an eye on the crazy person. I have steaks ready to grill. Hope they get wine.

Have a good weekend all!

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Idlez! Glad to see you over here. Also glad to see you getting it in and staying strong. Iron is always therapeutic.

You'll crush 440. I've seen your biceps and thighceps. They say it all.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm

KDW wrote:Hi Idlez! Glad to see you over here. Also glad to see you getting it in and staying strong. Iron is always therapeutic.

You'll crush 440. I've seen your biceps and thighceps. They say it all.
It's been written. It's been said. 440 will happen.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:47 pm

truck said 101 today
Weather channel said 95

It was HOT as a mother fucker.

I've spent the whole weekend working in the Garage. I don't think I can call it that anymore It's not really a garage, no garage door. I'm open for names people!

I'm supposed to go to a 4 hour meeting in the city tomorrow. I can't . Kiddo sick tonight so he's not going to school I'll have to rock polo and underwear and video conference maybe? Ugh.

Point being, Since I thought I was going to the city tomorrow, I decided to get enough into the garage to move Monday's lift to today.

Did I mention Garage doesn't have ac either?! Or power? No fans, insulated oven with a bunch of windows. Awesome.

Squats:
305x5x3 Eh still working on a grip that will not cause pain over time.
Bench: exhausted. Managed to string together 280x5x5 paused. Skipped the amrap.

I took apart the rack today, moved, reassembled, and squatted.
I also moved all the 45s, (with help) so that's 14 plates 150' walking, amrap for time? That sucked. A buddy did help but I had one more trip than him.

I skipped a lot of stuff, as theres still 25s, 10s, 5s, 100s, and a set or two of bumpers still in the basement. And all of the dumbells. I have enough to lift though.

Good news! 4th hole on belt today. From 5th. Could be eating better, or not eating, or just totally dehydrated. I am very happy to have not closed the pool I was in that a ton today.

Ex girlfriend and her girlfriend left today. Dunno if they coming back tomorrow since I'm not going to the city, or if only the ex or whatever. Life is odd.

Also, had a comped float tank 60 minutes Saturday. That was kinda awesome. I've wanted to do a float tank since seeing Altered States in the 90s. I'm totally doing that again. I'm not gonna lie, some emotions came up and I cried. But what's a little more salt when there is what 1000lbs of epson in the thing?

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Idlehands wrote: I've spent the whole weekend working in the Garage. I don't think I can call it that anymore It's not really a garage, no garage door. I'm open for names people!
Gainzz Grotto
Idlehands wrote:Ex girlfriend and her girlfriend left today. Dunno if they coming back tomorrow since I'm not going to the city, or if only the ex or whatever. Life is odd.
Odd can be good. It at least means things are happening.
Idlehands wrote:Also, had a comped float tank 60 minutes Saturday. That was kinda awesome. I've wanted to do a float tank since seeing Altered States in the 90s. I'm totally doing that again. I'm not gonna lie, some emotions came up and I cried. But what's a little more salt when there is what 1000lbs of epson in the thing?
You're brave. I wouldn't do that shit.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 am

fishwife wrote:
Idlehands wrote: I've spent the whole weekend working in the Garage. I don't think I can call it that anymore It's not really a garage, no garage door. I'm open for names people!
Gainzz Grotto
Idlehands wrote:Ex girlfriend and her girlfriend left today. Dunno if they coming back tomorrow since I'm not going to the city, or if only the ex or whatever. Life is odd.
Odd can be good. It at least means things are happening.
Idlehands wrote:Also, had a comped float tank 60 minutes Saturday. That was kinda awesome. I've wanted to do a float tank since seeing Altered States in the 90s. I'm totally doing that again. I'm not gonna lie, some emotions came up and I cried. But what's a little more salt when there is what 1000lbs of epson in the thing?
You're brave. I wouldn't do that shit.
“We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.”

Gainzz Grotto is good. Buddy said looked like a Cathedral the way it's got a rack under the hip roof. Iron Church?

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 am

Idlehands wrote: I dunno what my goals are right now to be honest. Wife passed away 2 weeks ago due to a rare liver cancer that presented in a rare way. I'm moving my home gym from the basement to the garage.
Widow, single dad, son as ASD. I lift right now to basically push against something and be reasonable healthy cause I have to be, I guess therapy?
And to stay hodge.
Fuck man. My condolences.

I lost my dad to cancer a few years ago. Not the same as what you're going through, but lifting helped, well as much as anything can I guess.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Re:

Post by Idlehands » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 am

SpinyNorman wrote:
Idlehands wrote: I dunno what my goals are right now to be honest. Wife passed away 2 weeks ago due to a rare liver cancer that presented in a rare way. I'm moving my home gym from the basement to the garage.
And to stay hodge.
Fuck man. My condolences.

I lost my dad to cancer a few years ago. Not the same as what you're going through, but lifting helped, well as much as anything can I guess.
Thanks. Seems surreal still. Lifting got me through the worst of the the disease. Back at it to get through the recovery I guess.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 am

Idlehands wrote: Thanks. Seems surreal still. Lifting got me through the worst of the the disease. Back at it to get through the recovery I guess.
Yeah, I think that's all you can do.

My dad was the first person I was really close to that died. Surreal is a good way to describe it. Even now, it will hit me hard at unexpected times.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

Managed to get kiddo to school today, so he's feeling better. That's good. I then had time to drop my truck off to get an oil change that I had had scheduled. Road my bike back. 2 mile leg pump!

Kiddo had half day so he wanted to go to the diner. Took the wife's car to diner. Lost my shit. Decided that maybe I should do deadlifts today instead of tomorrow, or ya know crumple and curl up from stress.

At the diner, the owner apparently knew my wife on facebook. Gave condolences. offered to cater the service, comped kiddos meal. That kinda hit me. I mean we had went to the diner for years and they know us and are super nice. Totally help out when kiddo is having an off day and we are out. Super understanding. People are really amazing, though it caught me off guard too.

Went to pay for oil change, since I can't pick up the truck, but I wanted the keys for when I manage to figure out logistics of getting it. Yet another single parent problem.

Get kiddo back home, off to the garage.

Deadlifts
Forgot belt on first set cause crying, Fuck it, grip it and rip it
315x2x20 emom

@lakschmi I woulda went the whole 30 but was outta time. I also didn't wear socks so my shins are wrecked.

I'm feeling a little more human. Man I have to say I totally get that one post by Jim Steel. Sometimes you just have to lift. Doesn't' matter what the plan is, doesn't matter what you are doing. Life is kicking you in the balls, go pull.
Sweat. Iron. Blood. Literal tears. It helps. It's not fun but it's better than the alternative.

I'm off to the city here if my sitter shows up in time for me to get the train. Some close work colleagues want to go out, one is here from Chicago and wanted specifically to hang out and actually meet in person. So many really good people at the company.

Don't get me wrong. Life still sucks.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

Glad the lifting is helping.

My Dad passed in 2015 from cancer. Couldn't figure out what else to do so I went back to the gym the next day or something. Seemed to help.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Manveer wrote:Glad the lifting is helping.

My Dad passed in 2015 from cancer. Couldn't figure out what else to do so I went back to the gym the next day or something. Seemed to help.
Sorry about your father man
Fuck cancer

Today:
Squats: 315x5x3 back to three wheels
Press: 135x5x5 WTF This was hard as hell. But at least standing press!

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm

I really enjoy reading your log. I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's passing.