Kregna's Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Kregna

Re: Kregna's Log

Post by Kregna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:19 am

Murelli wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 am Stop posting on my log, Kregna. No vegans allowed.

Just kidding. I like my vegetables raw!
Yeah I heard you like it raw you dirty dog!
damufunman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:31 am You're only squatting twice a week right? If so, you might need more volume. I was back squatting twice a week for a while, with 2 WL days, but I was doing 5x5 and then 2 triples (TM-esque setup), though you're squat is a bit higher than mine.

ETA: missed that you actaulyl have 5 working sets of back squats... what's limiting your front squat? Surely not leg strength.
Yeah I'm happy with how many back squats are going and unless I added another session (x4 a week at the gym is plenty for me lol) not sure where I could fit it in. I'm doing the lighter front squats in front of back squats thinking along those same lines (higher frequency being better)

Dude I would love to know what is limiting my front squats lol. Leaning forward and barely being able to hold the bar up seems to be what's happening, but I think that's normal at anyone's max front squat... I would've thought upper back strength was decent from deadlifts, so I really am not sure what is limiting it lol. I know a guy who deadlifts 40kg less than me and back squatted less (although high bar) who front squatted 20kg more
fishwife wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:34 pm
Kregna wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:53 amI was constantly reopening cuts on my shins, bleeding through my socks and getting blood on the bar
Have you tried the soda bottle shinguard thing?
Thanks for the suggestion, I was worried the pressure against the bottle would still cause the bleeding as it's happened through both socks and trousers. Shins appear mostly healed now, so I'm gonna try and pull from the floor today... I'm not gonna miss anymore regular deadlifts, so if it means 1-2 weeks off snatch / C&J (which are worse at reopening the cuts) I'll do that

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:50 am

Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:19 am Dude I would love to know what is limiting my front squats lol. Leaning forward and barely being able to hold the bar up seems to be what's happening, but I think that's normal at anyone's max front squat... I would've thought upper back strength was decent from deadlifts, so I really am not sure what is limiting it lol. I know a guy who deadlifts 40kg less than me and back squatted less (although high bar) who front squatted 20kg more
Yeah, poor wording of that question. Meant to ask how are you failing? Sounds like it's upper back, which seems to me the most common culprit. I would guess the side does more front squats and possibly is built better for them. Also I could see high bar maybe training upper back better than low bar.

And FWIW my front squat is pretty low relative to back squat as well, about 65% (275 vs 420). Probably party of it is back squatting more often/for longer.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 am

damufunman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:50 am
Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:19 am Dude I would love to know what is limiting my front squats lol. Leaning forward and barely being able to hold the bar up seems to be what's happening, but I think that's normal at anyone's max front squat... I would've thought upper back strength was decent from deadlifts, so I really am not sure what is limiting it lol. I know a guy who deadlifts 40kg less than me and back squatted less (although high bar) who front squatted 20kg more
Yeah, poor wording of that question. Meant to ask how are you failing? Sounds like it's upper back, which seems to me the most common culprit. I would guess the side does more front squats and possibly is built better for them. Also I could see high bar maybe training upper back better than low bar.

And FWIW my front squat is pretty low relative to back squat as well, about 65% (275 vs 420). Probably party of it is back squatting more often/for longer.
Good to hear yours is a similar %. Maybe it's a low bar curse :D nothing I can do but work more on it. I'm only cleaning weights I can jerk, at the moment, so it's not holding up my clean anyway

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am

Sunday 15th Oct 17

Lifts done from the floor, shins bled a bit but who cares... quite tired by the end of the workout

Snatch
55kg: 5x1

Humped the bar hard and it helped a lot. Think I'm catching lower but didn't film

C&J
80kg: 5x1

Power cleaned first rep by accident. Quite wobbly on one jerk but otherwise felt fine but fairly hard

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am

Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am Humped the bar hard and it helped a lot. Think I'm catching lower but didn't film
Been wondering about this. Is the hip contact supposed to help propel the bar up somehow (whether that be direct upward momentum or hitting it outward and using that energy to get it up more)? Or is the contact just a side effect of aggressive hip extension and the bar being close to body?

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 am

damufunman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 am
Kregna wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:12 am Humped the bar hard and it helped a lot. Think I'm catching lower but didn't film
Been wondering about this. Is the hip contact supposed to help propel the bar up somehow (whether that be direct upward momentum or hitting it outward and using that energy to get it up more)? Or is the contact just a side effect of aggressive hip extension and the bar being close to body?
I was told to hit the bar loud enough to be heard when I was being coached. I don't know about any change in momentum (I imagine hitting it forward is bad) but I thought of it as a cue to extend the hips aggressively. Might be worth a try!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Ahhhh, the brush vs bang debate.....

I cannot make the bar make noise no matter what.

I think body proportions have a lot to do with this, and the style of your lifting.

No matter what I do, the bar gets into my high things before final hip extension...so no noise is made.

If you watch some lifters, the bar will clear there knees, and remain with almost no contact with the quads until to final extension/where hip contact is made...and thus the bar and plate rattle.

Some, the bar is in contact more above the knee right away...less noise.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Tuesday 17th Oct 17

Dips
142kg: 5x3
122kg: 8(@7.5)

-20kg for back off set

Chins
5x6

Not improving, time to change something (maybe some speedy doubles after DLs on my other strength day).

Squats
200kg: 4 (@9)
185kg: 3 (@9)
175kg: 3x5 (@8-8.5)

Could've definitely got a 5th. Annoyed I didn't cos this footage could go viral and I don't want kids in Asia thinking I'm some 4 rep bitch.
Oh well, 1-2 in the tank has been the rule the past few weeks and has been working.
Might go for my 500lbs soon, as Wendler's calc puts me at 233kg max if I use 5 reps at this weight

Z Presses
30kg: 8, 8, 8, 10

A strongman friend keeps suggesting these and I wanted another upper body lift on this day. Hate dummbells so this is fine. Will try 1kg weekly increases and keeps reps between 8-10

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Nice set! Definitely had at least one more, or three

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm

@Kregna, so apparently you do exist. What happened to this log?

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm

SeanHerbison wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm @Kregna, so apparently you do exist. What happened to this log?
I just can't be bothered coming on the forum that often to be honest dude (let alone updating a log!)

I did post in your log when you joined!

JC
Uke Star

Post by JC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Too busy coming on to guys in the locker room, right?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:33 pm

JC wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 pm Too busy coming on guys in the locker room, right?
Geez, that’s a bit strong, innit?

JC
Uke Star

Post by JC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Haha yes, I missed quite the important word out!

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Kregna wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pmI did post in your log when you joined!
Oh yeah, you did indeed. Mea culpa.