135 x 3
225 x 3

Zercher Lift
225 x 2
315 x 1 + extra squat
405 x 1 x 2

Zercher DL - finisher
225 x 7

I am pretty sure that I have never actually done the full Zercher before. I have done Z Squats out of the rack, and ZDL plenty of times, but Idon't thin that I ever bothered to try the actual regular lift before. I am pretty sure 500 was there if I wanted to really go for it, but I didn't. It is certainly withing short reach either way from the way that all felt. I have to say though, using an Axle or a thick bar is way easier on the forearm, the regular bar just rides that main biceps tendon like a cheap whore. This was probably just the ADD taking over tonight.
The electric shower head decided to die today, so I was stuck with a cold shower. I am picking up a new one tomorrow, I hate cold showers. For anyone reading this and totally confused by the idea of an electric shower head, welcome to Latin America. They do not typically plumb the houses for hot and cold water, just for cold, and they put in what amounts to an instant water heater as a shower head wired into an outlet (Hopefully) above the shower. It sounds sketchy because it is, but a new shower head is $20 and a water heater is generally considered an unnecessary luxury. Plus, I don't want to tear up concrete walls to running plumbing, seeing as I don't actually own the place where I normally live.

MarkKO

Re: Hardartery -Recreational Outrage

Post by MarkKO » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:00 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:33 pm Monday 9/19/22
Zercher DL
135 x 3
225 x 3

Zercher Lift
225 x 2
315 x 1 + extra squat
405 x 1 x 2

Zercher DL - finisher
225 x 7

I am pretty sure that I have never actually done the full Zercher before. I have done Z Squats out of the rack, and ZDL plenty of times, but Idon't thin that I ever bothered to try the actual regular lift before. I am pretty sure 500 was there if I wanted to really go for it, but I didn't. It is certainly withing short reach either way from the way that all felt. I have to say though, using an Axle or a thick bar is way easier on the forearm, the regular bar just rides that main biceps tendon like a cheap whore. This was probably just the ADD taking over tonight.
The electric shower head decided to die today, so I was stuck with a cold shower. I am picking up a new one tomorrow, I hate cold showers. For anyone reading this and totally confused by the idea of an electric shower head, welcome to Latin America. They do not typically plumb the houses for hot and cold water, just for cold, and they put in what amounts to an instant water heater as a shower head wired into an outlet (Hopefully) above the shower. It sounds sketchy because it is, but a new shower head is $20 and a water heater is generally considered an unnecessary luxury. Plus, I don't want to tear up concrete walls to running plumbing, seeing as I don't actually own the place where I normally live.

I sounds sketchy, but where I grew up I saw power lines connected by what looked like knots. So I can absolutely see that being a thing.

That being said, when I think about it the principle seems very similar to those Zip taps that produce instant boiling water which we install in houses without thinking twice. Well, not us as in my work, but people definitely do.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:14 pm

Thursday 9/22/22
Down to 274 lbs, that probably won't last long once I hit France.

Muscle Snatch to Strict Press
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5 x 4 sets
185 x 4

Muscle Snatch to BTN
155 x 5 x 2 sets

Missed the last rep on the front presses, which annoyed me, but I barely got the 4th and didn't want to PP so I just didn't even try the 5th rep. Still, up from last time. The Muscle Snatch part got better too, but it wasn't as effortless as I would like. I am likely to get only one more serious session between now and Tuesday when I fly out, unfortunately. Maybe 2, but I'm not counting on it.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 am

Saturday 9/25/22
Positively terrible session, honestly, from most perspectives. I did not do the lifts that I should have been doing because I'm flying out Tuesday morning and won't touch a weight for at least two weeks. But I also neede a mental health session, Deadlifts it was.
DL - 3" blocks
225 x 3 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3 - straps
585 x 1 - felt like I was lifting a million pounds so I cut it at one rep to save something for the top sets. LOL.
645 x miss x 4 (At least) - I only know it broke the blocks because it went down and made the noise of having been entirely airborne. It really felt like all I did was bend the bar and stop, but it actually was leaving the ground, just barely. This was frustrating, but I knew after 585 I probably wasn't getting anything in the form of a progression from the last session.
635 x miss x 2 - I had basically decided to call it isometrics after the secon miss at 645.

So, a lot of misses, which I don't like. But, I could feel exactly where the weakness is, and honestly I think it may have done me some good to strain in vain that much. I really stayed with it, way past normal, just trying to gut it out because it's the hard grinding strain that clears my head and puts me in a better place. Plus side, I didn't pass out. I have on occasion blacked out during a hard lift and even dropped after doing the lift, even though I only know that I got it becasue someone watched and told me afterwards that I got it. I have seriously started a lift and remembered nothing from the start to waking up on the floor after I did it. Probably bad for me in some way, oh well.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:11 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 am Saturday 9/25/22
Positively terrible session, honestly, from most perspectives. I did not do the lifts that I should have been doing because I'm flying out Tuesday morning and won't touch a weight for at least two weeks. But I also neede a mental health session, Deadlifts it was.
DL - 3" blocks
225 x 3 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3 - straps
585 x 1 - felt like I was lifting a million pounds so I cut it at one rep to save something for the top sets. LOL.
645 x miss x 4 (At least) - I only know it broke the blocks because it went down and made the noise of having been entirely airborne. It really felt like all I did was bend the bar and stop, but it actually was leaving the ground, just barely. This was frustrating, but I knew after 585 I probably wasn't getting anything in the form of a progression from the last session.
635 x miss x 2 - I had basically decided to call it isometrics after the secon miss at 645.

So, a lot of misses, which I don't like. But, I could feel exactly where the weakness is, and honestly I think it may have done me some good to strain in vain that much. I really stayed with it, way past normal, just trying to gut it out because it's the hard grinding strain that clears my head and puts me in a better place. Plus side, I didn't pass out. I have on occasion blacked out during a hard lift and even dropped after doing the lift, even though I only know that I got it becasue someone watched and told me afterwards that I got it. I have seriously started a lift and remembered nothing from the start to waking up on the floor after I did it. Probably bad for me in some way, oh well.
Recently I read a post by JM Blakeley on the benefits of straining, whether or not you actually make the lift. He's a a smart guy, too.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:46 pm

Thursday 10/20/22
France was excellent, I even found a mountain bearing my family name that none of us knew existed. Hard to believe my DNA has so little French in it. I was ready to buy a place and move there, and I'm not ruling that out. Italy was nice, but next to France it's second rate. Except there's better art and more of it in Florence than in Paris. That's fine, I can visit the art and live near the Alps in France. The food was much better than most of Italy. Anyway...

Finally decided it's time to stop working on my Winter body and exercise again.
DB Side Raise - ascending
5 x 5
10 x 5
15 x 5
20 x 5
25 x 5
30 x 5
40 x 5
75 x 5 - not gonna lie, these were dubious.

75 x 5 x 3 sets - got better with each set

DB Floor Press
75 x 15 x 3 sets
I can just curl the 50's up while laying on the floor, the 75's not so much. It's better to set them on the thighs while still sitting up and then kick them up.

DB Rear Flyes - ascending
5 x 5
10 x 5
15 x 5
15 x 5
20 x 5
25 x 5
30 x 5
40 x 5
75 x 5
This left me very much on the verge of puking. Not an embellishment. Both ascending thingies (Clusters? What are the Bro's calling these things these days?) were done without break, just set down the DB's and grab the next pair. Go time.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:16 am

Saturday 10/23/22
Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5 x 2 sets
315 x 3 x 4 sets, might have been 5
Basically I went until they felt sorta right, which was the last one or two reps of the last sets. I thought I was having issues with the left glute but I was actually doing the lift with essentially only left glute. I had to mentally shift to the right, as I was not engaginf that side at all apparently. Man did it get easy once I did that. For anyone wondering, at least in an N=1 case, no you cannot do just Deadlifts and maintain your Squat. It may come back quite quickly once I start doing them regularly but for right now they were way off.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Tuesday 11/1/22
Muscle Snatch
135 x 5 x 2 sets
185 x 5

Muscle Snatch and Press Away
185 x 3 x 2 sets
205 x 3
205 x 2
205 x 1

Muscle Snatch an BTN Press Away
185 x 2 x 2 sets

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Wednesday 11/2/22 - holding steady at 275 lbs this week
JM Press - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 7
125 x 7
145 x 7
155 x 7

Side Raises - DB
50 x 15 x 3 sets

Reverse Curls - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 10 x 2 sets

May be time to kick the diet into full keto by the end of the week and drive for another 20 lbs to allow for rebound. We'll see. It seems mostly like I am picking up where I left off with no major loss of gainzzz from a month off. I have in the past been accused of being "That guy that disappears for 6 months and doesn't lose anything". I am not, that guy is taking several grams of stuff to pull that off. I am the guy that never seems to really tap into what is possible though. Probably the reason I always lifted more at a contest than in the gym. I am losing faith in my ability to learn that ability, I'm getting a little old to pick up new tricks. But maybe I show up to collect some Masters records a few times and hit one of those Rogue Record Breakers thingies. Those look like fun.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:32 pm

Friday 11/4/22
DL - conventional from the floor
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 5
405 x 3
495 x 3 - mixed grip
585 x 2 - straps

DL - 3" deficit - conventional
405 + red bands x 5 x 2 sets

Easiest 585 maybe ever. Seriously. I had no idea how that was going to go but it was butter. I felt like I had several RIR, I was thinkin of just going for it but I burped on the way up with rep 2 and then really belched at the top for some reason and kinda lost my game face if you know what I mean. It was so easy that belching on the way up didn't bother it, and usually I would have trouble with the loss of diaphram pressure among other things, but the weight somehow just wasn't heavy enough to bother me. I don't know what's going on but I'll take it. the deficits with bands were easier than expected as well, I really felt like I could grind 10 there but I needed a gauge for these and didn't want to crush my CNS right out of the gate after vacation. This bodes well for training for a bit.

Skid

Post by Skid » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Made 405 look easy!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Skid wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:00 pm Made 405 look easy!
Thanks! I am stoked about how that session went.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:32 pm

Saturday 11/5/22
Rear Flyes - DB
50 x 15 x 3 sets

Cross Body Triceps Extensions
50 x 8 x 3 sets
35lb KB x 5 tacked on right after the last set as a finisher

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

I have mild DOMS in the lats and lower back. Unusual for me, but I'll take it.

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery -I believe in marigolds

Post by Hardartery » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:53 pm

Monday 11/7/22
OH Squats and shoulder warmups with bar

PC + Front Squats - single Clean
135 x 3 x 2
225 x 1, 2, 3, 1
Last rep was BB crossed arms style, meant to be basically AMRAP but the bar slipped and several different body parts mutinied and told me to just put that thing down, damnit. My own fault, I wore a tank top and I know perfectly well that I need sleeves in this climate for that sort of endeavour. Just way too much sweat to try and keep that thing in one place that way.

Flyes - on the floor
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Reverse rotation thingies with the KB
35 x 10 each arm

So, I used the KB because I can let it hang forward and down and that way it keeps tension on the arm for essentially the entire ROM. My elbow was on a 5 gallon bucket and I was sitting on the floor. Worked okay. The front Squats are firstly more leg work, because I was planning to be back at the local gym starting this training cycle but I am not so I had to substitute something for the Back Squats I had planned. Secondly, I suck at these now and therefore should do them until I suck less aggressively at them. I hate them, because they do not challenge my legs, just my pain threshold. The bar is mostly being supported in my hands and only getting token contact with the chest and deltoids. It's not intentional, at 225 it gets better contact, but it hurts like hell in the wrists and to a lesser extent in the shoulders. Whatever, I just need to suck it up and quit being a princess about it. We'll see if I pay for that bar slip tomorrow or not.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Wednesday 11/9/22
Shoulder warmups and stretching ad nauseum

Muscle Snatch + Strict Press
315 x 5 x 2 sets
185 x 5, 4, 5

Floor Press - Reverse Grip
135 x 13

Got pressed for time by a mid-workout conversation, which was neither planned nor expected, but happened. The floor presses were basically AMRAP just to get a level. My anterior delts actually hurt, and I was worried about doing this 2 days after the front squat fiasco. Apparently I was a little justified in my apprehension but overall not a horrible session even though it was short.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:37 pm

Friday 11/11/22
JM Ppress - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 10
195 x 5 x 3 sets
The hardest part of this was figuring out how to get the bar positioned, it was difficult to do laying on the floor, and I found that I couldn't quite just muscle it from the floor behind my head. I ended up with using my 3" platforms so I could get under the bar, I did one by pulling the bar onto my hips in a seated position and then kicking it up when I lay back, but it was a bitch to put back down afterwards. I am going to start backat the local gym part time soon so I can round out my options. It will sound weird to anyone in N America or Europe, but not only are masks still common here, they are still mandatory in a bunch of places (Like Walmart for example).

Curls - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 10 x 3 sets

Side Raises - Pinkies up today
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Reverse Rotation thingies
35 kb x fail
25 grip plate (Like a KB handle but it's the rim of the plate which is 3 spoked) x 7, 10, 8
Weak side dictated reps. Used a taller bucket to rest the elbow on this time and it made a huge difference. Having it level with the shoulder made it much more difficult and now I know how jacked that left shoulder is. Weak as a kitten. I could have repped out all night with the right side but that set of 10 with the left actually made me dizzy.
It didnt help matters that my calcium definitely crashed. I knew I was a little off the last two days and something was going on, I knew after the first set it was calcium. My own fault I guess, I took some Magnesium the other day midday, and didn't take calcium that evening. Apparently I still can't do that, the magnesium sucked up all my transport and crushe dthe calcium. I hate being this delicate of a creature.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Monday 11/14/22
DL - Conventional
225 x 3 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 2 - mixed grip
585 x 3 - straps

DL - conventional 3" deficit + red bands
415 x 5 x 2 sets

Took taday as a "Carb up" day. A pecan square at a bakery my wife wanted to try and three pieces of homemade sourdough with my lunch. The wife makes good bread, and if she baked regularly I'd be closer to 400 lbs. In spite of the carb up, I am currently lighter than when I woke up somehow. The 585 felt lighter last time, but I had a 4th rep if I really wanted it today and the 3rd didn't feel much worse than the first. So ther's that.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:05 pm

Nice nice.

They barely know what sourdough is here.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:58 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:05 pm Nice nice.

It was fresh made, with butter, and I sprinkled a little pink salt over it. It was hard to stop at 3.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:42 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:58 am
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:05 pm Nice nice.

It was fresh made, with butter, and I sprinkled a little pink salt over it. It was hard to stop at 3.
I got a pack of 12 croissants from Costco the other day....and they did not last a day :lol: