Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery -Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:58 pm

Friday 12/2/22
I am vacillating between 272 and 273 lbs right now, which is slow progress. That's what I'm shooting for, so good. I'm hoping by Monday I'm bouncing between 271 and 272 lbs. I am hungry all the time, which sucks, but whatever. I need to get it down just below 265 lbs, whichis better for some blood markers and shouldn't hurt my numbers lifting.

Lateral Raises
50 x 15 x 3 sets
I tacked the following onto the last set:
25 x 6

Y Raises
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Rear Raises - Standard bar
135 x 13 x 2 sets
Then DBs
50 x 20

BTN Press - Standard bar
135 x 3

Standing French Press - KB, one arm at a time
35 x 8 x 3 sets

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Tuesday 12/6/22
Back in a gym, at least part time, for the stuff I can't do at home and don't want to buy the equipment for (Partly because I don't have room for the equipment). It has gone up to $12 a month.

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5
Left glute was straight up cramping by the second set with 405. I wasn't trying to push anything, it wasn't heavy, but I need to feel out where I'm at after squatting two or three times in the last 2 and half years.

Leg Extension - I am assuming the machine adds no weight to the resistance for purposes of calulations
90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

Messed with one of the leg presses a little, mostly to stretch out the glutes and pump a little blood. And because they had a shiny new looking one and I like new toys.
There is a machine for doing glute raises, I may give it a try next week, this week the glutes were kind of done after squats.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:38 pm

Hardartery wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:02 pm Tuesday 12/6/22
Back in a gym, at least part time, for the stuff I can't do at home and don't want to buy the equipment for (Partly because I don't have room for the equipment). It has gone up to $12 a month.

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5
Left glute was straight up cramping by the second set with 405. I wasn't trying to push anything, it wasn't heavy, but I need to feel out where I'm at after squatting two or three times in the last 2 and half years.

Leg Extension - I am assuming the machine adds no weight to the resistance for purposes of calulations
90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

Messed with one of the leg presses a little, mostly to stretch out the glutes and pump a little blood. And because they had a shiny new looking one and I like new toys.
There is a machine for doing glute raises, I may give it a try next week, this week the glutes were kind of done after squats.

Such exorbitant price gouging 🀣🀣

Although I'm guessing by local standards it isn't cheap.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:21 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:38 pm

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5

90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

It is middle of the road by local standards, I think. There are a couple of fancy gyms that want ridiculous prices, one wants $80 a month. They are generally very cardio centered and not really what I want anyway. Plus, I can walk to this one and not have to drive. The very well off go to the fancy ones I guess, but I prefer to hang out with actual lifters anyway and this gym has some actual local PLers and people actually trying to train hard. I have seen young ladies doing hip thrusts with a stack of plates or sometime a loaded bar, after an endless leg routine. There are some people really getting after it, it's not all gym bunnies looking for a date like I tended to see in the US.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm

Hardartery wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:21 pm

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5

90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

It is middle of the road by local standards, I think. There are a couple of fancy gyms that want ridiculous prices, one wants $80 a month. They are generally very cardio centered and not really what I want anyway. Plus, I can walk to this one and not have to drive. The very well off go to the fancy ones I guess, but I prefer to hang out with actual lifters anyway and this gym has some actual local PLers and people actually trying to train hard. I have seen young ladies doing hip thrusts with a stack of plates or sometime a loaded bar, after an endless leg routine. There are some people really getting after it, it's not all gym bunnies looking for a date like I tended to see in the US.
That's steep, geez.

Maybe it's the gyms I've been at here but I've never gotten the impression that anyone is there to get dates. Possibly it's just a US thing?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:54 pm

MarkKO wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5

90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

That's steep, geez.

Maybe it's the gyms I've been at here but I've never gotten the impression that anyone is there to get dates. Possibly it's just a US thing?
There are women there showing off what they have, for sure, but they seem to be intent on working out and not being talked to by anyone unnecessarily. In the US, in every gym I have been to, there were some people of bith sexes clearly there for reasons other than actually lifting. Some women have been obvious, like for no explainable reason performing some straight leg work directly in front of a fellow (It has happened to me, with my wife not that far away) and this is not in a location where one would expect to see it going on or facing the direction one would expect. I have directly experienced other behaviours, sometimes it had to be pointed out to me by a fellow lifter because I was that much not paying attention. I'm no Adonis, so I expect it must be fairly prevalent if I've experienced it. That was all in the US, I have not run into it in other places.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:26 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:54 pm
MarkKO wrote: ↑Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 pm

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 x 2 sets
315 x 5

90 x 10
135 x 10
180 x 10
225 x 10

That's steep, geez.

There are women there showing off what they have, for sure, but they seem to be intent on working out and not being talked to by anyone unnecessarily. In the US, in every gym I have been to, there were some people of bith sexes clearly there for reasons other than actually lifting. Some women have been obvious, like for no explainable reason performing some straight leg work directly in front of a fellow (It has happened to me, with my wife not that far away) and this is not in a location where one would expect to see it going on or facing the direction one would expect. I have directly experienced other behaviours, sometimes it had to be pointed out to me by a fellow lifter because I was that much not paying attention. I'm no Adonis, so I expect it must be fairly prevalent if I've experienced it. That was all in the US, I have not run into it in other places.
The women showing what they got I've come across for sure but most of them seem to be intent on improving what they have rather than talking to anyone just as you said. The other stuff you describe I have NEVER seen. Granted I haven't trained at that many gyms and they've mostly been at least partly powerlifting or bodybuilding focused so there's that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Wednesday 12/7/22
Bench
135 x 10 ? -wasn't really counting
225 x 5
275 x 3 x 3 sets
255 x 4
First Bench session since March 2020. It went okay, nothing magical.

Flyes - DB, bench
35 x 5 x 2 sets
45 x 5 x 2 sets
Not hard at all, I spent the first two lighter sets stretching out via a long pause at full extension. So, no tension just letting the weight pull for a good 5 count and then contracting and doing it again. It felt good to let things stretch out.

Seated MP - machine, it's either Cybex or Life Fitness and I know it was originally in a Y in Florida. There's a large chunk of the equipment that all came from one and all kind of look the same, it is likely that someone bought it all wholesale during an equipment changeout at the Y and sent it in a container to here. I am assuming that the machine addds zero pounds to the actual lift.
90 x 5
180 x 5 x 3 sets
It takes me a minute just to wedge myself under the handles before I start lifting.

Front Raises - DB
45 x 5
65 x 5 x 2 sets

I tried to record the raises, but I set the camera up completely wrong and all that was visible was my right arm from an odd angle.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm

Friday 12/9/22
JM Press - straight bar
135 x 10
185 x 7
185 x 5 x 2 sets
I appeared to be rotating the elbows on the ascent, it got worse with each progressive rep. The second and third sets I concentrated on keeping the elbows in and not rotating, so I got less reps.

E Z Bar Curls
105 x 7 x 3 sets
KB Curls - myoset? - supinated grip holding the KB straight out
35 x 10, 7, 5, 5

JM Press - EZ Curls Bar
105 x 7

KB Cross Body Tricep Extension - supinated grip
35 x 1
And that was it. Biceps are pumped up, triceps fried as that was actual failure with the KB.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:59 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm Friday 12/9/22
JM Press - straight bar
135 x 10
185 x 7
185 x 5 x 2 sets
I appeared to be rotating the elbows on the ascent, it got worse with each progressive rep. The second and third sets I concentrated on keeping the elbows in and not rotating, so I got less reps.

E Z Bar Curls
105 x 7 x 3 sets
35 x 10, 7, 5, 5

JM Press - EZ Curls Bar
105 x 7

35 x 1
And that was it. Biceps are pumped up, triceps fried as that was actual failure with the KB.

Jesuchristo 185 on JM presses...
I just started doing these and find that just the bar for sets of 10 gives a good stretch in my arms (and elbows). I'm guessing you just have to work up overtime, but it's much harder to me than just benching. I had wondered if I was doing bad form, but you're doing pretty much what I've seen JM Blakely do and what I recorded myself doing so I guess they're just meant to be a low weight exercise anyway.

Commenting on the gym bunny thing. Worst one I've ever had was being at the gym around 8pm when it gets kinda empty and this one girl with full out gymshark attire pinned herself with a weight I know she's done before because I had seen it in weeks past and did this right before I finished a squat set. Pretty sure it was on purpose to chat me up, but I was dating my now ex from community college at the time. Missed opportunities, but that's the worst I've had of it from a gym bunny.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:51 am

SnakePlissken wrote: ↑Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:59 am
Hardartery wrote: ↑Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm Friday 12/9/22
JM Press - straight bar
135 x 10
185 x 7
185 x 5 x 2 sets

E Z Bar Curls
105 x 7 x 3 sets
35 x 10, 7, 5, 5

JM Press - EZ Curls Bar
105 x 7

35 x 1
Jesuchristo 185 on JM presses...
I just started doing these and find that just the bar for sets of 10 gives a good stretch in my arms (and elbows). I'm guessing you just have to work up overtime, but it's much harder to me than just benching. I had wondered if I was doing bad form, but you're doing pretty much what I've seen JM Blakely do and what I recorded myself doing so I guess they're just meant to be a low weight exercise anyway.

Commenting on the gym bunny thing. Worst one I've ever had was being at the gym around 8pm when it gets kinda empty and this one girl with full out gymshark attire pinned herself with a weight I know she's done before because I had seen it in weeks past and did this right before I finished a squat set. Pretty sure it was on purpose to chat me up, but I was dating my now ex from community college at the time. Missed opportunities, but that's the worst I've had of it from a gym bunny.
I appreciate that compliment, I honestly have no idea what is good or bad for a JM Press weight wise. I am twisting the elbows in the first try, which made them a lot easier, so I am going to concentrate on not letting them rotate. I found that I really felt it a LOT more with the EZ Curl bar, I think it blocks tha ability to rotate the elbows and puts everything in a specific alignment that really cooks the triceps without annoying anything. I will likely switch back to that bar, or use both in a given workout, it really makes the lift a lot harder and yet feels better at the same time.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Saturday 12/10/22
Deadlift - conventional
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
425 x 3
515 x 3 - straps
605 x 1
Ugh.

Deadlift - conventional - 3"+ a little deficit
515 x 3 x 2 sets

Woeful lifting. The 605 was painfully slow and I was not intending for it to be a single. But.... it is a 20 pound jump from last week. I threw on the 10's at 4 plates and so they are sandwiched between 45's in the video - the intent there being to work grip by increasing the last DOH set. So, next session will be a repeat with the same weights and hopefully more reps. I am still feeling alittle chewed up from Squats earlier in the week, that might be too close together for me, or it might be fine once I adjust to squatting again. Time will tell.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 pm

Monday 12/12/22
Crap ending to a crap day.
Muscle Snatch to Strict Press Away
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
195 x 3 x 2 sets

Muscle Snatch to BTN Press
135 x 5 x 2 sets

Just wasn't feeling it today. I hate OHP, I hate how jacked up it is from the lack of shoulder ROM, I hate how it isn't fixed yet. It is better, but not enough. It's pretty obvious by the back bend and how far back my shoulders are even on the BTN. I can't really OH Squat right now because I can't carry the weight far enough back so it pitches forward unless it's light enough for me to just brute force it with the weight basically out in front of me. The wife tested positive for Covid, so I probably have it even though I am symptom free. Which throws a wrench into my plans for the week in general and I'm pissed off about it because I want to be in the gym. The landlord came back into town for the property today, which is a huge PITA. He's a nice guy, but every time he's here the whole damn place gets turned upside down and he has shit in the way non-stop. I waited until 10 PM to go out and start lifting, expecting everyone to be in for the night, but damned if every person on the property wasn't within 10 feet of the weights for some reason. That didn't help my mood, and the session didn't get out any agression. Damnit.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:54 pm

Hardartery wrote: ↑Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 pm Monday 12/12/22
Crap ending to a crap day.
Muscle Snatch to Strict Press Away
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
195 x 3 x 2 sets

Muscle Snatch to BTN Press
135 x 5 x 2 sets

Just wasn't feeling it today. I hate OHP, I hate how jacked up it is from the lack of shoulder ROM, I hate how it isn't fixed yet. It is better, but not enough. It's pretty obvious by the back bend and how far back my shoulders are even on the BTN. I can't really OH Squat right now because I can't carry the weight far enough back so it pitches forward unless it's light enough for me to just brute force it with the weight basically out in front of me. The wife tested positive for Covid, so I probably have it even though I am symptom free. Which throws a wrench into my plans for the week in general and I'm pissed off about it because I want to be in the gym. The landlord came back into town for the property today, which is a huge PITA. He's a nice guy, but every time he's here the whole damn place gets turned upside down and he has shit in the way non-stop. I waited until 10 PM to go out and start lifting, expecting everyone to be in for the night, but damned if every person on the property wasn't within 10 feet of the weights for some reason. That didn't help my mood, and the session didn't get out any agression. Damnit.

Unlucky. Hopefully it doesn't hit your wife or you too hard.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:49 pm

Wednesday 12/14-22
Mildly carbed up. It's mandarin orange season here, just starting, so I'm eating a lot of them because I like them and I can get them across the street at roughly $3 for two dozen. Straight off of someone's tree, no stickers, pesticides or GMO nonsense and not painted orange to fool the consumer when it comes out of the shipping containers. So I'm low carb until mandarin season ends.

Lateral Raises - Meadows grip
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Y Raises - neutral grip
50 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Cross Body Curls - DB - first and last pronated, middle set neutral
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Cross Body Triceps Extensions - MyoReps arm to arm
50 x 10, 8, 4, 2 - pronated grip
45 x 3 - neutral grip
40 x 4
35 x 5
30 x 5, 5

Lateral Raises - Plates
25 x 15

The neutral grip cross body curls are a new weird, they torch things in a whole new way. The problem with these hypertrophy sessions is the pump. My arms were uncooperative initally for the triceps extensions, they just didn't really want to bend. There are worse problems to have I guess. I'm going stir crazy, haven't done anything all week but make a grocery run today so we don't starve and I'm really frustrated. I REALLY wanted to be back in the gym I guess, and having to avoid everyone until the while is negative is cramping me substantially. This is a really petty thing to complain about, I didn't realize how much it meant to me to move about freely again.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:03 am

Hardartery wrote: ↑Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:49 pm Wednesday 12/14-22
Mildly carbed up. It's mandarin orange season here, just starting, so I'm eating a lot of them because I like them and I can get them across the street at roughly $3 for two dozen. Straight off of someone's tree, no stickers, pesticides or GMO nonsense and not painted orange to fool the consumer when it comes out of the shipping containers. So I'm low carb until mandarin season ends.

50 x 10 x 3 sets

Y Raises - neutral grip
50 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

50 x 10 x 3 sets

45 x 3 - neutral grip
40 x 4
35 x 5
30 x 5, 5

Lateral Raises - Plates
25 x 15

The neutral grip cross body curls are a new weird, they torch things in a whole new way. The problem with these hypertrophy sessions is the pump. My arms were uncooperative initally for the triceps extensions, they just didn't really want to bend. There are worse problems to have I guess. I'm going stir crazy, haven't done anything all week but make a grocery run today so we don't starve and I'm really frustrated. I REALLY wanted to be back in the gym I guess, and having to avoid everyone until the while is negative is cramping me substantially. This is a really petty thing to complain about, I didn't realize how much it meant to me to move about freely again.
It isn't petty. It's fine to not leave the house because you don't want to; but to have to stay in because you can't go out is another kettle of fish entirely. Just because it's broadly the right thing to do isn't going to make it much more palatable.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:38 am

MarkKO wrote: ↑Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:03 am

50 x 10 x 3 sets

Y Raises - neutral grip
50 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

50 x 10 x 3 sets

45 x 3 - neutral grip
40 x 4
35 x 5
30 x 5, 5

Lateral Raises - Plates
25 x 15

It isn't petty. It's fine to not leave the house because you don't want to; but to have to stay in because you can't go out is another kettle of fish entirely. Just because it's broadly the right thing to do isn't going to make it much more palatable.
I think not being sick makes it worse. Things are generally open now, but because my wife is sick I need to avoid people. Not saying that I want to be sick, but, you know.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Hardartery wrote: ↑Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:38 am
MarkKO wrote: ↑Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:03 am

50 x 10 x 3 sets

Y Raises - neutral grip
50 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Curls
50 x 10 x 3 sets

50 x 10 x 3 sets

45 x 3 - neutral grip
40 x 4
35 x 5
30 x 5, 5

Lateral Raises - Plates
25 x 15

I think not being sick makes it worse. Things are generally open now, but because my wife is sick I need to avoid people. Not saying that I want to be sick, but, you know.
It would somehow make it more bearable

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:24 pm

Friday 12/16/22
Block Pulls - conventional - 3 inch blocks
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
425 x 3
515 x 2 - mixed grip
605 x 2 - straps

Felt like at least 1 RIR on the 605, which is pulling from my sticking point not a better pull height for me typically. So that was good.

Reverse Rotations - KB
35 x 5 x 3 sets each hand

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Thursday 12/22/22
Bench
135 x 10
225 x 5
295 x 3
315 x 1
295 x 3
Different bench today, this one let me take max legal grip, which is what I think I used. The bar was a little weird though so I may in fact have been a little wider than legal, hard to tell.

Flyes
50 x 5 x 3 sets
Nice stretch, felt like I grazed the floor on a couple.

Front Raises
65 x 5 x 3 sets

Side Raises
65 x 5 x 3 sets

Straight Arm Pushdowns - on the plate loaded cable thingie
100 x 10
150 x 10 x 2 sets
100 x 10
Lats are torched.