Re: Low Expectations

Post by JC » Thu May 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Course she does, she's just too busy gardening to write any of it down

Right?

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm

@tdood, yes I am. Mostly just working around dysfunctional body parts and trying to ward off further decline. But I recently was diagnosed as hypothyroid (sort of, but then they thought maybe not, but then they thought maybe so...) and put on thyroid medication. So I'm hoping that will help and things will get to the point where I can actually make progress lifting.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I’ve had some thyroid type hormones be a bit off. Some of it was crappy sleep I think. I haven’t had it checked after I fixed my sleep issue to see if the levels have changed though, so my data means nothing.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 pm

JC wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:13 pm Course she does, she's just too busy gardening to write any of it down

Right?
Well, mostly it's boring and depressing to have to repeat this bullshit one-step-forward one-step-back bullshit. But also, gardening is legitimately exhausting when highly invasive weeds that need to have all their roots and bulbils and tubers and shit dug up are involved.

tersh

Post by tersh » Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 pm

fishwife wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 pm Well, mostly it's boring and depressing to have to repeat this bullshit one-step-forward one-step-back bullshit. But also, gardening is legitimately exhausting when highly invasive weeds that need to have all their roots and bulbils and tubers and shit dug up are involved.
Yes, which is why god invented herbicides. Not saying you SHOULD do that instead, given the context.
But for some plants it's foliar application or alllll the labor.

Also, the hypothyroid stuff can be a heck of a game changer.

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am

tersh wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 pm Yes, which is why god invented herbicides. Not saying you SHOULD do that instead, given the context.
Exactly. There are ways to apply herbicides correctly so that you don't end up ruining all of your or your neighbors' plants, it's true.

Unfortunately, I wanted to put squash and tomatoes in that bed and already had some peas in there, so herbicide was a no-go.

It's also true, though, that Ficaria verna is annoyingly good at surviving herbicide applications.

Hopefully, I can stay on top of it now. The issue was that I'd moved soil from an area where I did some landscaping, and it was probably FULL of bulbils. But because that happened when the F. verna was dormant, it didn't occur to me that I might be giving myself this much future grief.

I hate very few plants, but this is one that brings on the gardening version of the Red Mist (TM) for me.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am

Red Mist???

Do you wear a heart rate monitor while gardening?

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat May 12, 2018 2:38 pm

fishwife wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am
tersh wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:57 pm Yes, which is why god invented herbicides. Not saying you SHOULD do that instead, given the context.
Exactly. There are ways to apply herbicides correctly so that you don't end up ruining all of your or your neighbors' plants, it's true.

Unfortunately, I wanted to put squash and tomatoes in that bed and already had some peas in there, so herbicide was a no-go.

It's also true, though, that Ficaria verna is annoyingly good at surviving herbicide applications.

Hopefully, I can stay on top of it now. The issue was that I'd moved soil from an area where I did some landscaping, and it was probably FULL of bulbils. But because that happened when the F. verna was dormant, it didn't occur to me that I might be giving myself this much future grief.

I hate very few plants, but this is one that brings on the gardening version of the Red Mist (TM) for me.
Ah, invasive weeds. A gift that keeps on giving.

JC
Uke Star

Post by JC » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 am

mgil wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am Red Mist???

*Pictures the application of blunt force trauma as a herbicide*

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Sun May 13, 2018 12:54 pm

JC wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 am
mgil wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am Red Mist???

*Pictures the application of blunt force trauma as a herbicide*
I tousle the weeds until they die from contact with my qi.