Maureen's NLP Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

laikabear

Maureen's NLP Log

Post by laikabear » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 am

Hi everyone... this is my first post. :)

Stats: Female, 40 yo, 5'10", 151 lbs. I live in Pasadena, CA and lift in my garage.

Started NLP 9/2017 and trained for 2 mos, then went on vacation and took 5 weeks off (it wasn't a 5 week vacation, I just was being lame). Started back at 20% lower weights 2 weeks ago.

I've never done weight training before; previously dabbled in running, short distance triathlons and taekwondo. The real reason I started lifting weights was that I'm an avid scuba diver and recently moved up to double tanks, which are heavy. Especially climbing flights of steep stairs at the beach. One of my younger, non-wimpy diving friends recommended Stronglifts, and after looking through that website I stumbled upon Starting Strength. I haven't been keeping an online log of my own, but I have been perusing a lot of the lifters' logs (especially the females) at the SS forums but noticed that many of the most interesting users moved over here. So here I am, trying to get stronger and learn.

Some recent workouts...

12/24/17

Squats: 55x5, 75x5, 95x3, 105x5x3
OHP: 35x5, 45x3, 53x5, 53x4x2, 53x3x2
DL: 150x5, 150x2

Squats and deadlifts were tough - my quads were a bit sore today. My squats look a little high on video. Couldn't get 5 reps on the OHP sets today. Time to switch to 5 sets of 3. And I couldn't do 2 sets of 5 on the DL anymore. I think it's time to switch to 1 set of 5.

12/27/17

Squats: 45x5, 65x5, 85x3, 100x2, 107.5x5x2, 100x5
Bench: 45x5, 57.5x5x3
Deadlift: 155x1, 145x0

On the squats, my form was breaking down and I could tell I wasn't getting depth. I decided to take some weight off the bar next time and try to get my form more dialed in and work my way back up. My quads are still sore today...

This is the first time I've missed a deadlift. I just couldn't get any more than that 1 rep. I dropped the weight to 145 to try to do something and couldn't get that up either. So just called it a day.

12/29/17

Squats: 45x5x2, 65x5x2, 85x5, 90x5x3
OHP: 35x5, 54x3x5
Deadlifts: 140x5

I was disappointed going down in weight on the squats, but I think it was the right choice to work on my form. I don't want to be overly picky but I don't want to disintegrate into a hot mess either... I think I'll go up 2.5 lbs next workout. OHP is getting hard. Today I did 5 sets of 3 for the first time, instead of 3 sets of 5. I'm hoping that this and 1 lb increments will let me keep going up for a bit. Deadlifts felt ok. I think I'm going to go up 5 lbs next time.
Last edited by laikabear on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

omaniphil

Re: Maureen's NLP Log

Post by omaniphil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Welcome to Exodus! Getting stronger will definitely help with the scuba gear wrangling.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Welcome @laikabear!
Thank you for adding your log to the site. +++

There are so many experienced lifters here, men and women alike. If you ever want or need any form checks/advice, there is the technique form check forum.

Happy New Lifting Year. : )

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcome!

I used to work in Pasadena once upon a time, off the 210 at Lake Ave.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi guys, thank you for the welcome!

I might take you up on the offer for a form check... I'm a bit shy of posting videos of myself but I really do need help.

1/1/18

Squats: 55x5x2, 75x5, 95x5x3, 45x5
Bench: 45x5, 60x5x3
Deadlift: 145x5

I'm still struggling a lot with my squat form. Today I was back to using the TUBOW (a foam roller). It's annoying having it sitting there in the rack, but I think it is helpful.

Ever since I started, I noticed that my left shoulder is pretty tight. I've been stretching it and it's improved but I still can't get that elbow down as good as the right side. And I filmed directly from behind on my last session and I realized that although I'm placing my hands symmetrically on the bar, once I duck under it, it's off-center on my back. I end up with the bar off to the left. Not good.

Today I filmed one set from behind again. Reviewing the video, the bar is off to the left again. WTF. I may have to put some painter's tape on the bar around my shoulder width so I can be sure it's centered on my back, because once I have my hands placed and duck under, I can't tell.

At least, I think I'm back to getting depth. I was initially going too deep, told to cut off some depth, did that, then I was too high. It's like I have no proprioception. I need a training partner to watch every squat and tell me when I can come up.

Also I just bought a belt, and I'm trying to get used to using it. I think it's affecting my depth. I got a 4" belt, after all I am tall, but I'm wondering if a 3" might have been better. Honestly I shouldn't need one anyway at these weights.
Last edited by laikabear on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:52 pm

@laikabear if it helps, there is a ladies-only forum where you could probably post form checks and get good feedback. @chromoly can provide more information if interested.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm

@laikabear, i'm far from the most experienced person here, but i can say it just takes a little while to get used to a belt and learn how you like to wear it, how you breathe and brace with it, etc...
I'd venture to say 4 inch is probably the right choice.

I feel like i'm just now getting it right for my deadlift.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum! Hope your training continues to go well.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

1/3/2018

Squat: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 100x5x3
OHP: 35x5, 55x3x5
Deadlift: 150x5

No belt today.

As I try to get back to where I was on squats when I reset (107.5), I was torn between 2.5 and 5 lb jumps. I didn't want to be too greedy, but I decided to try for 5 and it went okay. Weightlifting is weird to me - I never know if I'll be able to lift the weight or not. When I was running, there was never any question. Whatever the workout was, I could complete it. It might suck and I might not want to, but I never found myself physically unable to do an extra mile or whatever. I never started a 15 mile run wondering "Can I finish?" I mean, if I didn't finish, I wouldn't get home. Maybe that doesn't make any sense. I'm just struggling with the fact that for lifting weights, it's not just my own mind and my willingness to show up to a workout that matter. Although I know the mind does play a big role.

So here's a question: if 2 identical twins were doing NLP and one prematurely switched to 2.5 lb jumps on the squat while the other one stayed with 5 lb jumps longer, would they both end up at the same weight when their NLP finishes, just with the 2.5 lb person taking longer to reach a plateau? Or if you decrease too early do you then lose out on those gains because there is some time factor also? I assume that the 2 people (controlling for all other variables) would end at a similar weight on the squat, just the one with the smaller jumps would take longer.

OHP... I'm at 1 lb jumps and now at 5 sets of 3. Wow, 5 sets of 3 really takes longer than 3 sets of 5. I kind of hate the OHP right now.

Deadlifts - I've had good form with deadlifts so far (I think) but today I could feel my back rounding a bit. Hmmm.
Last edited by laikabear on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:22 am

laikabear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 amSo here's a question: if 2 identical twins were doing NLP and one prematurely switched to 2.5 lb jumps on the squat while the other one stayed with 5 lb jumps longer, would they both end up at the same weight when their NLP finishes, just with the 2.5 lb person taking longer to reach a plateau? Or if you decrease too early do you then lose out on those gains because there is some time factor also? I assume that the 2 people (controlling for all other variables) would end at a similar weight on the squat, just the one with the smaller jumps would take longer.
My best guess they would end up at the same weight (assuming all other factors equal - compliance, recovery, etc). IMHO, the novice LP is a short period of time, so it's not worth worrying too much about how much you can squeeze out of it. If you're lifting for years, where you end your novice LP is inconsequential in terms of long term results. Switching to more advanced programming will serve you better than performing several resets and working back up.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am

1/5/2018

Squat: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 105x5x3
Bench: 45x5, 62.5x5x3
Deadlift: 135x1, 155x5

Today I didn't wear my knee sleeves (Rehbands) because someone mentioned they might be interfering with me getting depth. Unfortunately, I found it easier to get depth without them (although I still have a lot of trouble telling where I am). Unfortunate because I have janky former runner knees, especially my left, and it was NOT happy after my squats. I had to put the sleeves back on to deadlift. That knee often complains when I'm trying to set up the deadlift.

I did wear the belt for the last warmup set and the work sets. I think the combo of heavier weight and the belt also makes it tough for me to get depth. I have trouble telling but I'd say the work sets were questionable. I'm going to press forward and still try to add 5 lbs next time, and still try to keep doing 3 sets of 5.

I have been putting painter's tape on the bar the last 2 workouts to check bar placement on my back and make sure it's symmetrical. Today I filmed one set from behind to see how I was moving. My left elbow wants to be higher than my right, my left shoulder is less flexible, and even with the bar centered, finally, the left shoulder is lower. IDK what, if anything, that means.

I have to post that video because I watched it back and busted out laughing because my Doberman was standing in front of the camera the whole time. She is such a dork. She has the exact personality of Scooby Doo.

Bench went ok, weight's feeling really heavy. Still adding 2.5 lbs and doing 3 sets of 5 there... for now...

And deadlifts, ugh. A PR, but daaaamn the last 2 were VERY hard to get up. I felt my back rounding a bit, although I think I did better than last time. I set up the camera too low and the video was not helpful. I think it's time to start alternating deadlifts with barbell row (I think I'm too old and clumsy for power cleans).

I tried lifting before eating breakfast after getting home from work the last 2 sessions (I work night shift). I think it was helpful in some ways as I wasn't stuffed. But my arms feel kind of noodly right now and I'm not sure if that would still be the case if I ate first. Also, I don't feel like eating anything now, and going to bed with no breakfast probably isn't going to help my lifts. So it may be back to breakfast first...

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am

https://youtu.be/LKZO7SCwLGg

Don't know how to embed videos but here it is on Youtube if anyone is interested. Not much help with a form check, but it was good for a laugh at least.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am

If you go into "creator studio" on your youtube channel, then tick the box of a video, then click "actions, then "more actions" you'll see embedding in there.
Took me a while to find this.
I disabled comments there too. And it eventually asked me if i wanted to make my settings default.
I'm sure you could find the "make default" without having to get a pop up like i did.
Then when you post the link it will just be embedded already.

My eyes isn't as developed as lots of folks here, not even close. So i'll avoid saying anything other than i think you are doing basically well overall form wise. No alarms going off for me as i watch.
I can't be more help with any detailed suggestion going forward for you, but as i mentioned elsewhere, i got very useful help when i posted a from check vid.
I have seen folks here being nothing but helpful and friendly with form checks.

peez

Post by peez » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm

laikabear wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am https://youtu.be/LKZO7SCwLGg

Don't know how to embed videos but here it is on Youtube if anyone is interested. Not much help with a form check, but it was good for a laugh at least.
That's a lovely dog that came videobombing!

Sirimiti

Post by Sirimiti » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Love the dog! A judicious use of dog butt to hide possible see-through pants. Something that frequently concerns me when I squat 😉. Your squats looked generally good but I am not a great judge either. I used to squat too deep as well, then I cut it off and was going too high. Eventually I got the feel for where I should be.

You are actually squatting around the same weight that I was when I started using a belt (3" because I'm short). I also felt like it wasn't enough weight yet but it really did help. I don't think I would have been able to progress as well if I hadn't used it because I had also hurt my back so it provided some added security there. Also, you lift at home so there are no gym bros to judge you for it and I don't think anyone here will either. Use it if you need to.

I have seen people squat with one hand out further on the bar to accomodate less mobility on that side. I guess it depends also on what is preventing that side from getting into position. Some issues can be stretched or worked out and others just have to be accomodated. My shoulders are actually pretty mobile but it takes a few sets of squats before I can get them all the way in.

Maybe try a light breakfast before training. Something easy to digest and not bulky so you have some energy but you won't be weighed down. Then have something else after training.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 am

As far as I could tell from the angle squats looked alright. Try a side or front 45° degree view if you can get it.
Does the bar stay in place on your back or do you have to hold it up with your arms? Looks like it might be a bit too low.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am

Looks like the lil doggie was looking outside from the open garage door?

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:45 am

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am If you go into "creator studio" on your youtube channel, then tick the box of a video, then click "actions, then "more actions" you'll see embedding in there.
Thanks! I'll try that next time. You're answering all my computer questions! :)
peez wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm That's a lovely dog that came videobombing!
:) That's my goofy girl. I can't believe she's almost 8 years old. She still acts 2. But her muzzle is going very gray!
Sirimiti wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 pm Love the dog! A judicious use of dog butt to hide possible see-through pants.

I generally don't have to worry much since it's a home gym, but it does look like these become a bit transparent when stretched! I ordered a very pricey pair from Bombsheller recently that I am hoping are going to be amazing and not see-through. Maybe Darcy was just trying to save me the embarrassment of showing my butt on the internet.

Thank you for your other advice and encouragement. I'm going to try to keep plugging away with the belt and I think I'm going to have to go back to using the knee sleeves too. Hopefully I will find a happy medium on the depth!
damufunman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:38 am
As far as I could tell from the angle squats looked alright. Try a side or front 45° degree view if you can get it.
Does the bar stay in place on your back or do you have to hold it up with your arms? Looks like it might be a bit too low.
I think the bar stays okay... I was putting it too high previously so maybe now it's a bit low. I will try to post a proper video later. I just posted that one for a laugh TBH, I know it's not suitable to tell much.
slowmotion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am Looks like the lil doggie was looking outside from the open garage door?
Yeah, she likes to supervise me AND guard the yard at the same time. It's a tough job. Every time I'm resting between sets, she comes and demands some petting. My other dog ignores me until I turn off the music, because she knows that's when I'm really done.

You have a very cute doggy as your avatar. I hate that avatars are so small, I want to zoom in! :)

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 pm

1/8/2018

Squat: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 100x3, 110x5x3
OHP: 35x5, 56x3x5
Barbell Row: 35x5, 55x5x3
Chinups: LOLNOPE

I didn't feel like today was going to be a very good day in the gym...

I went on a shore dive yesterday and my calves were sore (a long dive and we were in a bit of surge for a while). I wish I could say my double tanks are starting to feel lighter, but they aren't. I really felt the weight digging into my shoulders standing around waiting for everyone to gear up. I did feel like the stairs coming out of the water were maybe a tiny bit easier than usual. I have been feeling kinda crappy also because of the weather - it's raining here, which is unusual, and my allergies are going crazy and I had a migraine yesterday (the barometric pressure change wheny it rains often gives me a migraine). Haven't been sleeping very well and I ate like crap yesterday. I have trouble getting enough protein and yesterday I just didn't even try. And today I haven't eaten anything at all. !!!

Anyway, that long intro is just to remind myself that even though I really had not set myself up for success, I went and lifted and had a good workout and I'm glad I did. I was worried I wouldn't be able to squat 110, but it went ok.

I decided to add in barbell rows again. My max on barbell row was 76# but that was Nov 1st. I wasn't sure where to start back. I think 55# was not heavy enough. I was using 10 lb bumpers (plus some iron weights) on a 15# bar. Next time I do barbell rows I will put the 10s on the 45 lb bar.

I can't do a chinup. I had some resistance bands lying around from some PT I did back in my running days. They were not robust enough to use for an assisted chinup. Not even close! I tried negatives but that was not really happening. I need to get some bigger resistance bands.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Hilarious! I also had one of those dogs with a gift for inhabiting exactly the wrong space at the wrong time. His was usually right behind me when I was about to turn around with a coffee and plate of breakfast in my hands. Welcome to the board!