- Mopey Dick
- A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Penis
- Underwear (by Dong Delillo)

Lifetime PRs:
Squat: 450
Deadlift: 485
Bench: 255 :oops:
Press: 185

I'm pretty damn focused on grappling, but It's Time to start lifting as a supplement. I enjoy getting strong for it's own sake but have some compromises this time around. I got a surprise promotion to blue belt in December, so I'm going to try to take competition a little more seriously and it's a weight class sport.

I'm going to stick with middleweight for this year. That means I weigh in at 181 with a 5lb gi on, and 175 in no-gi undies. I weigh about 175 right now, so I don't have any room to gain significant weight. I'm fine with that, at this point I don't need to grow, just need to recomp a little bit and recover some old strength. Once I settle in to a routine, I think it would be smart of me to grow into the medium-heavy class, which would let me pack on 13 more pounds. But I'm going to wait until it's hard to make weight before I do that.

Anyways, my general template is going to look like this:

Code: Select all

Day 1		Day 2		Day 3
Upper press	Upper press	Lower pull
Upper pull	Upper pull	Weighted carry
Lower pull	Lower push	Arms/Abs
I'll be lifting and training on the same days pretty regularly. I try to get in 4 training sessions per week, and I'm going to make a weekend open mat more of a priority because it's a good opportunity to get in a bunch of intense rolls for conditioning.

As far as lifts, I'm going to keep it super simple (in order of priority: deadlift > press > squat > chin > bench > row) and just run linear progression on them for the time being. I'll probably do some kind of rep-adding scheme after that so I don't have to do much planning - start with 3s and then add reps until I hit 8s, then add a bit of weight and go again.

hector

Re: Bugbomb's Logbomb

Post by hector » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 am

bugbomb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:58 am Other log titles considered:
- Mopey Dick
- A Staggering Work of Heartbreaking Penis
- Underwear (by Dong Delillo)
I got a surprise promotion to blue belt in December, so I'm going to try to take competition a little more seriously and it's a weight class sport.
As far as lifts, I'm going to keep it super simple (in order of priority: deadlift > press > squat > chin > bench > row) and just run linear progression on them for the time being.
Bugomb, welcome!!!

Glad to read you are still grappling. Congrats on your promotion to blue belt! That's huge!!!!!

I love that you mocked 3 of my favorite books/authors.

In terms of lifts, I believe Andy Baker prioritizes weighted chins with his grapplers. Even above deadlifts sometimes. May be something to think about.

Congrats again on the blue belt!!!!

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks @Hector! Good to see you over here too :) I started 2017 with the intention of training (on the mat) 150 times. 3x/wk for the year. Wound up doing more like 240 sessions just out of sheer interest and enjoyment. Didn't have much tournament success (lost both of my IBJJF first-round matches by sub while up on points - groan) so I was honestly hoping for another 6months to a year at white belt to get that taste out of my mouth. But my wife was ready to be promoted - she's much, much better than I am - and I'm glad that our instructors decided to give us our belts together. That was cool.

Yeah, I've read Andy's stuff about grappling and weighted chins are definitely on the menu. Once my deadlift strength is back on track I will look at playing around, but for now DL and press are king and queen. But in anticipation of much chinning, I ordered this:

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm

btw - @hector have you seen this? Mike Israetel (RPS/Juggernaut) talking about programming BJJ and lifting.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 pm

I did a quick search to refresh my memory, and found this strange Egyptian thread filled with hieroglyphics:

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... jitsu.html

Looks like what I'm planning makes sense. The arms/abs stuff on day 3 is just intended to be supplemental to strengthen tendons and whatnot.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Forgot to put in Monday's work:

Monday 1/1/2018

Press: 75x10,10,10
Deadlift: 275x5,5
Chins

I think I'm going to start programming chins as a main lift with weight progression. Doing bodyweight chins is just so damn boring. I hate doing anything for reps, and I can already do sets of 10+ chins inside if I want to (doorway bar in my bedroom).

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm

bugbomb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm btw - @hector have you seen this? Mike Israetel (RPS/Juggernaut) talking about programming BJJ and lifting.

Had not seen it.
Listened to it during my commute. Good stuff! Thank you!

Unfortunately I work later hours now and so haven't been to BJJ in several months. All I can do is lift hard and try to be as strong as possible for my eventual return.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm

hector wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm Unfortunately I work later hours now and so haven't been to BJJ in several months. All I can do is lift hard and try to be as strong as possible for my eventual return.
I feel really lucky to have enough flexibility in my life/work to be able to hit the lunchtime class almost every day. We have a few guys who have to take time off for months at a stretch, and it's really impressive to me how much dedication they show to get back on the mat. After that much time off - they're white belts - it's got to be almost like starting over.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 am

Saturday 1/6/2018

Press: 85x10,10,10
Deadlift: 295x5,5
Chins

Sunday was a long, tough open mat.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 am

hector wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pmUnfortunately I work later hours now and so haven't been to BJJ in several months. All I can do is lift hard and try to be as strong as possible for my eventual return.
See, you say that, but how many people have started lifting for a sport, had to stop the sport for a while, and then ever got back into it? i'm rooting for you, though. I have faith.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:36 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 am
hector wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pmUnfortunately I work later hours now and so haven't been to BJJ in several months. All I can do is lift hard and try to be as strong as possible for my eventual return.
See, you say that, but how many people have started lifting for a sport, had to stop the sport for a while, and then ever got back into it? i'm rooting for you, though. I have faith.
Shit.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 am
My situation is a bit different.
I didn't start lifting for jiu jitsu.
I started lifting long before Jiu Jitsu.
I found jiu jitsu after years of lifting and I like Jiu Jitsu more than lifting.
And, as unusual as this preference might be around here, I'd rather be a BJJ black belt with a 315lb squat than a BJJ white belt with a 800lb squat.

For now my gym (lifting gym) is open 24 hours, so lifting is an infinitely easier thing to work into my schedule. In contrast, my BJJ school only has classes at 7pm and 8pm. Which is normal for where I live.
If my work schedule normalizes I will absolutely prioritize BJJ over lifting.

THank you for your faith!
I'm a contractor. This job isn't forever. Things change. I'm confident I'll eventually be able to return to BJJ.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm

hector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 am My situation is a bit different.
I found jiu jitsu after years of lifting and I like Jiu Jitsu more than lifting.
And, as unusual as this preference might be around here, I'd rather be a BJJ black belt with a 315lb squat than a BJJ white belt with a 800lb squat.

For now my gym (lifting gym) is open 24 hours, so lifting is an infinitely easier thing to work into my schedule. In contrast, my BJJ school only has classes at 7pm and 8pm. Which is normal for where I live.

I'm a contractor. This job isn't forever. Things change. I'm confident I'll eventually be able to return to BJJ.
Same here. Sucks about your school's hours though... Can you hit open mats or anything?

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 pm

bugbomb wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm
hector wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:52 am My situation is a bit different.

Same here. Sucks about your school's hours though... Can you hit open mats or anything?
Not presently. There might be one open mat a week I could hit every other week or so, but it's hard to justify paying the full monthly membership to only go twice.

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 am

That sucks. Our school's open mat is a free-for-all - anyone can come, from any gym, no fees. Super fun.

tersh

Post by tersh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

So, uh. How's it going?

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 am

tersh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm So, uh. How's it going?
It's, uh, going well.

But I'm not lifting.

I've had several "first sessions" and I just can't get over the mental hump of starting out with light weights on movements I've done so many times. I'm actually considering joining a gym - if I can find one close enough - where they map out some programming for me.

Jiu jitsu is going great, though. They asked me to start helping a little bit with kids' classes, which is easy because I'm already there with my kids.

Oh, and I've been doing a 20-minute yoga routine in the evenings before bed. One downside to my life is that I'm either in jiu jitsu posture (spinal flexion, scapular protraction) or I'm working on a laptop (spinal flexion, scapular protraction). It's just a big ol' internally rotated mess, and the yoga has helped a lot. I realize that deadlifts would also help counteract this, but the tank is fairly empty right now with BJJ training, three kids, and two businesses (one of which is exhaustingly unproductive, the other of which is exhaustingly productive).

tersh

Post by tersh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Yeah, that's a pretty killer combo. But at least it's going well!

hector

Post by hector » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

bugbomb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 am
tersh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm So, uh. How's it going?
It's, uh, going well.

But I'm not lifting.

I've had several "first sessions" and I just can't get over the mental hump of starting out with light weights on movements I've done so many times. I'm actually considering joining a gym - if I can find one close enough - where they map out some programming for me.

Jiu jitsu is going great, though. They asked me to start helping a little bit with kids' classes, which is easy because I'm already there with my kids.

Oh, and I've been doing a 20-minute yoga routine in the evenings before bed. One downside to my life is that I'm either in jiu jitsu posture (spinal flexion, scapular protraction) or I'm working on a laptop (spinal flexion, scapular protraction). It's just a big ol' internally rotated mess, and the yoga has helped a lot. I realize that deadlifts would also help counteract this, but the tank is fairly empty right now with BJJ training, three kids, and two businesses (one of which is exhaustingly unproductive, the other of which is exhaustingly productive).
I think it's primarily young people with few responsibilities who can pull off simultaneous lifting and BJJ.
Glad to hear BJJ is going well!

bugbomb

Post by bugbomb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 pm

hector wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm I think it's primarily young people with few responsibilities who can pull off simultaneous lifting and BJJ.
Glad to hear BJJ is going well!
Hey, I think he just called me old.