Scott's log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

nkupianist

Scott's log

Post by nkupianist » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 am

Hi all,
In light of recent events, I don't have a burning desire to support the "other folks" by directing any advertising money their way via page visits to update my log.
Brief background
Male, 5'7", currently approx. 200 lbs bodyweight. First began seriously training the non-bench big lifts around Fall 2016, when I began the SSLP, starting around 185 BW. My LP ended late December 2016, at something like S-275, B-260,D-305,P-160. Ended it at around 200 pounds BW. I ended it when I tweaked my back on a 275 set of squats - purely due to form and no belt. I cut while doing 531 (don't judge me) Jan until about May 2017. Hit a low BW of 176. Screwed around with some self-guided programming a few months, then started HLM late July 2017. I've been running HLM since, with a few hiccups and deloads along the way. Current top lifts are S-385 B-315 D-430 P-202.5. I did my first meet as 198 mid-January 2018, with 375/315/410/1100 total.

Tweaked my back yesterday pulling an "RPE 11" set of 5 deadlifts I shouldn't have attempted. It's already improving and I'm not concerned long-term, but this confirmed my suspicions that I should move away from non auto-regulated programming.

I'll get my HLM log entries from SS up here tonight. I'm figuring out programming moving forward. I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to feel confident designing any RPE-based program, so I'm looking to fill the next 22 weeks starting 2.12 with BBM-based programming while doing a slow weight cut. I'll post when I figure out what order of what programs I'll be doing. Goal is to lose as little strength as possible, possibly doing a meet as a 181. Entries for the remainder of the week will be deload workouts just to make sure my back is good to go next week.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Scott's log

Post by Manveer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Glad to see you logging here.

The longer I train, the more I realize there is more risk than reward in RPE 10 work.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 am

Might as well log this. Forgive the lengthy post - just being detailed in case this might be potentially helpful to anyone rehabbing a back tweak.

I'm loosely applying what I know of Austin Baraki's method of dealing with back tweaks - basically applying high reps to the area with weights that are minimally- to not-painful. I'm also taking a heavy dose of NSAIDs with acid reducers to hopefully get this all calmed down soon.

I've had this exact injury before at the end of my LP. Pretty sure it's SI - that area bothers me fairly regularly, but it stays at bay unless I'm stupid as I was Sunday. SI "self adjustments" (things that make it pop) have a very direct impact on the pain. Very bottom of back, around the pelvis, worse on left side. No radiculopathy. Mostly hurts with extension - pretty sure I hyperextended at the top of a deadlift and finished the (heavy and sloppy) rep completely with my erectors. It's only maybe a 6/10 at its very worst - I've had to cancel no regular activities other than scheduled workouts. I know stretching isn't encouraged in the SS world, but my hips are chronically very tight, and this happens less often when I'm stretching them some. Going to restart that.

2.4 - day of injury. I'll post the workout that I got hurt on soon (I'll get my old stuff up here soon). After the injury, I came back in the evening and did a bunch of hypers, reverse hypers (all BW) and deadlifts with 90. I've also been doing cat camels sporadically - a big recommendation of McGill. They do loosen things up.
2.5 - day after injury.
Hyperextension - 3 x 10
Reverse hyperextension (BW only on a hyper bench, not a reverse hyper Westside-style machine) - 3 x 10
Deadlift - 135 3 x 10, 185 1 x 3. The set of 185 was pushing the injury a little so I didn't go up to a planned single with 225.

This morning, things overall are better. I've got a ton of back DOMS just from all the high rep sets I'm not used to. I think I've done all I can and will rest today. I'll show up to the gym for my scheduled workout tomorrow, but unless I'm 100%, I'll deload squats and pulls and will only do variations that don't hurt.

@Manveer , couldn't agree more. I kindof knew this already but thought I could get away with one more greedy month and start something auto-regulated in March. Lesson learned - I knew I was pushing into high-risk territory and didn't stop. On me entirely.

nkupianist

Old Log - July

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am

Hi all,
Quick stats:
30 year old male, 185 pounds, 5'7"
Approximate maxes:
SQ: 315
Bench: 300 (trained the bro lifts for years before doing the squat and DL, hence the strange numbers)
Press: 185
DL: 340

Starting a HLM program:
Mon - light squat, press, heavy pull
Wed - medium squat, paused bench, PC
Fri - heavy squat, bench, medium pull (light deadlifts)

I'm starting my deadlift artificially low - I've been trying to correct some form issues ever since I ended LP in the low 300s. I tend to either over drop my hips or I round if I leave them where they're supposed to be. Ignored the problem for a while and am finally addressing. Hoping that I can have better pulling form in a couple months when the heavy day pulls start getting challenging. I record all my sets and will be uploading my workouts to . I encourage form advice on my pulls. I'm very frustrated with them at the moment - they're still not great form wise, even after a few sessions with a SSC. Squats are high bar these days - I've had some major shoulder tweaks before, and LBS tend to aggravate it.
7.28.17 workout: heavy squat, heavy bench, medium pull day
I should have mentioned this in my first post, but all weights are in #s
Squat: 225, 5 x 5
Bench: 245, 5 x 5
Deadlift: 200, 3 x 5 (on medium day, I'm mostly just working on the form issues i mentioned in my first post - obviously this weight is not difficult)
Chins - 8, 8, 4
Tricep extensions - 70, 3 x 5 (I don't know the weight of the EZ bar and am just counting the plates, probably actually 83 ish)

7.28 workout -
7.30 half- workout
Saw SSC Mia Inman today to continue working on my pulls. Did "heavy" day deadlifts at 250 for 5, then some PCs, 135.
I still flex too much when I keep my hips up where they're supposed to be using the SS set up - not a ton of flexion, but just enough in the mid back that Id be afraid to do a heavy pull in this position. I'm probably going to have to allow some hip drop on my heavy work sets while doing a few light practice sets with a strict hip position. Hopefully, eventually, I can do the set up correctly with a neutral spine. Its still improving but not quite there. If anyone has dealt with this tendency to drop their hips too low, pushing the bar away, with an inability to get fully neutral when their hips are higher, I welcome input. Below is a fairly extreme example of what I tend to do with my hips to get neutral. Around :12. I'll do light squats and press tomorrow - normally these would be before the heavy pulls I did today, all on Monday.

After reevaluating my current deadlift form, realizing it's by no means bad enough to be lifting this light, and getting some kick in the rear motivation from Royce in the technique forum, I've decided to DTFP and LP my deadlift; I'll do deadlift Monday and Friday, but until I stall or encounter major form breakdown, I'll add 5 pounds per workout. Other lifts will follow the original HLM program Once I hit a wall, I'll stick with my original plan on a heavy and lighter deadlift day, or some similar pull schedule.
Despite my better judgement, after pulling 250 yesterday, I did deadlifts again today with 255, because America. They're to a point where they look pretty good extension wise from a 45 degree rear angle - that little bit of remaining flexion only shows from the direct side. When reviewing old video from my LP, my pulls were pretty solid with way less analysis over my pull and more weight. Hoping just sticking with it and adding weight to the bar unless I get really round will clean up what problems are left. Also playing with hook grip - after about 285, I tend to start struggling with grip for reps, and hook always messes with my whole pull if I just jump to it without practice.

Todays lifts:
Squat - 210 3 x 5
Press - 140 3 x 5
Deadlift - 255 1 x 5

nkupianist

Old Log - August

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am

8.2.17 log
Continuing with my deadlift LP, I did 260 1x 5. Quite easy, and I do think the set up is improving again. For fun, I pulled 315 for a single. It felt fairly light, and I probably could have done 3-5 had it been my work weight. More importantly, the set up looked overall pretty good. Tempted to speed up the progress, but a 5 pound LP 3x a week will have me there fast enough. Once I stall or start having technique issues, I'll go back to a DL/PC/DL schedule and eventually will just do one heavy deadlift session per week, as mandated by HLM. Hook grip is starting to feel good again.

8.1.17 lifts:
Squat - 220 3 x 5 (accidentally did 6 on last set)
Paused bench - 225 3 x 5
Deadlift - 260 1 x 5, 1 x 1

8.2.17 workout -
A bit late posting, but did Heavy Squat, heavy Bench and heavy Deadlifts on 8.4.17.
Squat - 230, 5 x 5
Bench - 250, 5 x 5
Deadlift - 265 1 x 5
Had to leave the gym a bit early, so came in the following day and did chins 3 x 8 and Tri Extensions, 75 3 x 5.
Squats went well. I think it was just camera angle, but upon review, depth might have been barely questionable on a few reps. I want to film from a better angle my next workout. I've been working on cutting off depth - my historic tendency has been to dive bomb way too low, occasionally at the expense of my lower back. Hopefully, I didn't swing too far the other way, but if camera angles prove I did, it should be easy to fix.

8.7.17 workout (light squat, Press, and [temporarily] Heavy Deadlift day)
Squat - 215, 3 x 5
Press - 145, 3 x 5
Deadlift - 270, 1 x 5, 315 1 x 1
Oddly, my form is overall better when I'm pulling a bit heavier than my current submaximal worksets or related warmups. 315 1 x 1 looked nearly textbook. My middle 3rd rep on 270 was a tad round. Guess I'm just getting lazy as I progress through a set and not squeezing out that last bit of flexion.

Late on this.
8.9.17 Workout:
Squat - 225, 3 x 5
Paused Bench - 245 3 x 5 - due to a formula accident, these were way too heavy (realized this later), but I got them! Ha. I'll take it.
Deadlift - 275 1 x - form was awful this session. Pretty round. However, it led to some realizations that made 8.11 great.

8.11.17 Workout:
Squat - 235 5 x 5
Bench - 255 5 x 5
Deadlift - 280 1 x 5 - these were the best pulls I've done in probably 9 months form-wise. It's coming back.
Chins - 8,8,5
Tri extensions - 80 3 x

8.14.17 Workout - Light squat, light press, heavy deadlift
Squat - 220 3 x 5
Press - 150 3 x 5, 190 1 x 1 for fun after failing 205 1 x 1
Deadlift - 285 1 x 5, 340 1 x 1, 360 1 x 1, 380 1 x 1
The singles were just "for fun" - was quite surprised at how decent even 380 looked. Based on this, I suspect I could do a sloppy 405 for 1, but I'll hold off a while and just do my programming.
Schedule will be kindof odd this week, as I'm seeing SSC Walter Palmer in Lexington to get some deadlift coaching. I'll plan to do 290 as part of the deadlift LP I'm on. Not sure yet if I'll get my heavy squats in this week or not - if so, it would probably have to be Saturday. Worst-case, I'll repeat this week's assigned squat work next week.

8.16.17 log:
Splitting up my training oddly this week because I'm seeing a SSC tonight. Just did my medium bench day yesterday.
Did 235, 3 x 5 paused. After accidentally overshooting last week, I went back down to my scheduled weights and had some PR attempt fun after to round out the workout.
Got (all paused) 270 1, 290 1, 300 1, and, most excitedly, 315 x 1! Didn't really expect to make that last lift - it was a grinder. I'd never held 315 in my hands on bench before, and getting it paused the first time was especially exciting. recorded this one for posterity - Instagram

8.17.17 workout
I met with Walter Palmer in Lexington for 90 mins and had a really helpful session. Did my medium squats with him before deadlifting just because it made sense to do a longer session and get some more stuff in in front of a coach after the decently long drive from Cincinnati to Lexington.
Sets/weights were:
Squat - 230 3 x 5
Deadlift - 295 1 x 5
Take aways on squats: I could narrow my stance a little. Widened stance out fairly substantially after attending a Chris Duffin Kabuki seminar, partially to reduce a bit of functional depth, as I always went too deep. Walter pointed out that narrowing stance a little should help with some minor knee stuff I've been having, and as long as bracing is good, depth will be controlled. So to summarize, squat cues were: closer stance, brace better, control the descent more.
Much of the deadlift cues were familiar territory for someone who's read the book and worked with a SSC before. Very recently, as my set up has gotten to a 95% correct point, I've noticed my shoulders don't align exactly where they would in the book - they're a bit farther back. Walter pointed out that with short arms and a medium-length torso, I may always be slightly farther back from the bar. With that said, we continued to work on keeping the hips up where they should be, which gets the shoulders as far out as they're able to be for my anthropometry. He also brought up a good point - since my COM is already going to be a tad farther back than most, socks are a bad idea. He commented on this after seeing a video where I was experimenting with them in which I nearly fell back on a pull because my weight got shifted so far back. I have a tendency to pull the bar off the floor slightly during set up with lighter weights - sometimes even a couple inches if it's 135. He attributed this to my arm length and said it should be fine, since I've seen video of heavier lifts in which that stops happening, and I just end up pulling the slack out of the bar. He suggested a bar with a bit of flex for heavy pulls to help offset my arm length if I can get my hands on it - which, at my gym, isn't likely, unfortunately. Walter seems to think I'm way below my actual strength levels on deadlifts due to all the time I've spent honing form below my limits. He suggested going up by 10 increments on a once a week pull structure for a while to catch up. Form-wise, I got a bit closer to flexion than I'd prefer on my last 2 reps, especially the final one. I'll partially blame that on a bench PR the day before, which at the time wrecked my erectors. Not too worried.
Deadlift summary of all points - don't drop hips on "chest squeeze" portion, wear Oly shoes, don't deliberate when setting the bar down - just set it down, get access to a DL-friendly bar if feasible, work on pull sequence - push through floor, then wedge hips forward once bar clears knees.
All in all, a really helpful session. I'll continue period visits to Mia Inman, who's a little closer to me, but I'll try to schedule one more session with Walter in a couple months. It's always nice to get more than one set of eyes on a needy lift. I recommend anyone reading this log who needs some help to find a SSC. Even if they're a bit of a drive away, they all know their stuff and will be able to help you greatly.

8.18 workout:
Heavy bench 260 5 x 5
Tri extension 85 3 x 5
Feeling pretty beaten up between all the PR attempts and the broken up scheduling this week due to my SSC consult. Was going to squat today, 8.19, but lower back and hips still pretty shot. Going to rest and repeat last week's squat weights and progress on all other lifts as scheduled. Going in today isn't worth a back tweak. Next week's heavy squat day will be 240.

8.21.17 log:
Squat (light day): 220 3 x 5
Press: 155 3 x 5
Deadlift: 305 1 x 5
Trying the 10 pound pull jumps as suggested during my SSC session. Not the happiest with my form just yet - still tending to drop my hips a bit and get a little too over/behind the bar. Last 2 reps especially weren't as extended as I'd like. I also need to drive into the floor more to start the pull - to my eye (and others who've watched in separate form checks), I tend to initiate the pull with my erectors, and my legs lock out too late in the lift. On the bright side, on the pull itself, 305 didn't really feel heavy, and it went up very fast on all reps.
After my last SSC session, I'm working on a slightly closer stance than I was using. I'd been squatting wider to avoid going too deep and flexing in the bottom. Going back to a slightly more SS-friendly stance, I'm now focusing on bracing even harder and slowing down the eccentric a bit. Despite feeling slow, on video, squats were still a little faster on the descent than they had to be.

8.23.17 workout (video not yet posted - will edit post and include when complete)
Squat (medium day) - 230 3 x 5, these looked the best they have in a very long time. Coach Palmer's stance width suggestion helped a lot.
Bench (medium day), paused - 240 3 x 5
Deadlift - 315 1 x 5. Did this against my better judgment in an attempt to milk this temporary pulling LP as much as possible. Filmed from the sticky requested angle for the SSCs and submitted a form check. Angle doesn't catch all lumbar flexion, but it does show all the other joints better, and other than a bit of forward bar roll before the pull, these looked pretty decent to my eye.

8.25.17 workout:
Squat - 240 5 x 5
Bench - 265 5 x 5
Deadlift - 315 1 x 2 just did these to send to the coaches as a reply to a form check - didn't want to tax my back.
PC - 135 3 x 3
Chins - 8 8 6

8.28.17 workout
Squat - 215 3 x 5
Press - 160 3 x 5
Deadlift - 325 1 x 5
Tri extension - 90 3 x 5

8.30 workout
Squat - 225 3 x 5
Bench (paused) - 245 3 x 5
Power clean - 140 3 x 3

nkupianist

Old Log - September

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am

9.1.17 workout
Squat - 245 5 x 5
Bench - 270 5 x 5
Deadlift - 260 3 x 5

9.4.17 workout
Squat - 220 3 x 5
Press - 170 3 x 5
Deadlift - 335 1 x 5
Tricep extension - 95 3 x 5
Tried LBS for the first time in a very long time on my work sets. Going to keep doing LBS on M/H days and move light day back to HBS. I have temperamental bicep tendons, and I'd like to keep HBS form as fresh as possible in case I have to revert back to it for heavier days.

9.6.17 workout
Squat - 230 3 x 5 (HBS)
Bench (paused) - 250 3 x 5
Power clean - tried 145 3 x 5. Realized I have a lot of form problems to clean up - re-reading the blue book, and deloaded to 95 - did some volume with that to groove in some of the biggest issues.
Chins - 8 8 7

9.8.17 workout
Squat (LBS) - 250 5 x 5
Bench - 275 5 x 5
Deadlift - 270 3 x 5

deads got interrupted because an idiot at my gym found setting the bar down quickly to constitute "banging weights" (see previously posted videos to get an example of how I dismount weights - NOT a drop). After putting an extra layer of padding under the weights to appease him (which I had to do mid-set during my second set), I wasted another 20 minutes getting talked to like a child by a trainer who doesn't like powerlifters. Got lectured about damaging equipment (which I don't), how loud we are (which we are not), and how he doesn't want a platform (which I suggested as a compromise) because the "culture" that would encourage isn't what he wants. Had to directly call the owner to see if I needed to change gyms. Fortunately, the owner is a cool guy who is going to talk to the two out of line idiots. Very annoying. Our new head trainer joined one of the most old school gyms in the area and seems to want us to be a Planet Fitness. Ignoring him from now on.
So we ended up pretty much getting booted from our gym Monday due to the deadlifting stupidity. The trainer won. Whatever. Still got it in at a different gym.

9.11.17 workout
Squat high bar - 225 3 x 5
Press - 175 4 5 3
Deadlift - 345 1 x 5

Tried out another gym.
LBS - 235 3 X 5
bench paused - 255 3 x 5
Light deads (no set up for PC here for <135 and resetting. Will bring my bumpers if I join)
225 3 x 5
Chins 8 8 5

9.15.17 workout
Tried another gym. Nice spot but literally no plates under 5. Really messed up my programming.
LBS - 255 - 5 x 5
Bench - utterly screwed up programming. Scheduled to do 280. Had to do 285. Didn't like bench height either. Was so bad I didn't log well. Did a set of 3, another set of 2 with 285. accidentally misloaded a side and did 1 or 2 with 290, asymmetrically loaded. Was already gassed from stress associated with my gym ordeal, so probably wouldn't have gotten all 5 x 5 of 280 either. Just to do SOMETHING, I did a 225 AMRAP at the end - 12 reps.
Deadlift - 285 Pressed for time - did 2 sets of 5.
Probably the least productive workout I've had in a while, between the gym being hot, a weak that stressed me out badly, and a lack of needed plate increments.

9.18.17 workout
HBS - 240 3 x 5
Press - 175 3 x 4, hoping to ratchet this up to 3 x 5 in the next couple weeks. Plan is to get there, try 180. Assuming I fail to get 3 x 5 (which I probably will), I'll try 177.5. At my next 3 x 5 failure point, I'll drop back to 3 x 3 and micro load, maybe with a higher volume back off set.
Deadlift - 355 1 x 5. Still kick the bar away a bit on set up but other than that, deadlifts are looking better. My shoulders seem to naturally want to be a bit farther back than the model suggests - I'm fairly short-torsoed and short armed - not really built for great pulls.
For fun, attempted and completed my first ever 405 pull - that was fun.
Instagram

New gym owner is cool - asked him if we were an issue during the workout. Said our pulls are loud but rightfully blamed it more on the single-layer rubber flooring than on us. Is actually thinking about getting a platform, which would be great. So far, so good here.

Just realized I can't do math and did medium day squats on light day, high bar. Whoops. They were easy, so that's something - sticking with the planned progression I mapped out, but I get tempted now and then to LP my squat for just 2-4 weeks so that I'm pushing my limits a bit harder. I think HBS are still better "grooved" enough for me that they feel a bit easier at times, despite the less advantageous leverages. LBS are 95% back, but haven't quite fully clicked again yet. In retrospect, wish I'd controlled my diet better during LP so I wouldn't have had to do all the cutting I did and wouldn't be in such an awkward programming point with some lifts.
Continuing straight into an intermediate program off LP instead of dropping 25 pounds would have been so much more logical. Hindsight...

9.20.17 workout
LBS - 245 3 X 5 - figured I could increase weight slightly since I accidentally did this weight Monday high bar.
Bench paused - 255 3 x 5 repeated, since my bench programming got messed up the previous week.
Snatch grip deadlifts - 225 3 x 5 considering dropping all Oly lifts for a while. My new gym has no bumpers and I'm under 135 on PC if form is maintained. Doing types of deadlift 3 times a week isn't sustainable and I know this. Playing around. Also, these fried my back.
Chins - 3 x 8

9.22.17 workout
LBS - 260 5 X 5
Bench - 280 5 x 5 - real struggle, a bit ugly at points The end is nigh for non micro loading here.
Deadlift - 280 3 x 5
09-24-2017, 10:59 PMnkupianist

9.24.17 workout
HBS - 235 3 X 5
Press - 175 5,5,3
Deadlift - 365 1 x 5
Tri extension - 90 3 x 5
Chins - 8 8 5
Deadlifts were ugly. Im still trying to initiate the pull with my back instead of leg drive. Fayigue didnt help. To plan around a trip, I did this workout a day early. All the stupidity taxing pulls last week, combined with that, hit me. Felt off all workout. No more 3 x week deadlift variations for a while. I'll go back to PC on M day. In Vegas for a work related function this week and hoping to hit iron addicts gym for a possibly abbreviated Medium day (light pulls, medium all other lifts) Tuesday. Hoping they have suitable plates for my laughably low weight PC. To avoid trying to get my belt through TSA, Im just going to use one there. We'll see how that goes.

9.26.17 workout
Used the CT Fletcher Iron Addicts gym while in Las Vegas. Very nice place.
LBS - 245 3 X 5
bench -paused - 260 3 x 5
PC - 95 3 X 3

9.28 log
Visited iron addicts again to get some of my usual Friday work in on Thursday since I travel all day Friday (today). All I still have left to make up is my heavy press work, which I'll do tomorrow.
Was using a 3 inch loaner belt, and squats were very loose and off feeling. Had massive knee slide and too much depth on a few - was hard to get tight into such a mediocre belt. Pulls were also loose feeling - glad I didn't video my sets - I suspect I was very flexed Think I was too fatigued from walking miles a day in Vegas to get tight enough. Add the belt and the problem was compounded. But hey I got it in and didn't spend the time wasted so there's that.
Squat 265 5 x 5
Deadlift 280 3 x 5
9.30 workout
Last partial workout - all programming during my trip is completely, albeit fragmented. Proud of myself for missing no training. It was bench 5 x 5 today,9.30. 285. Last set got grindy but got them. Might be time to start riding out the 5 x 3s starting at 290, micro loaded by 2 or 2.5. I think this can have my weights increasing for the remainder of the year. Should be doing multiple sets of singles in the low 300s by the end of the year.

nkupianist

Old Log - October

10.2.17 workout
High bar Squat - 240 3 x 5
Press - 175 5,5,4 very close on rep 5. If my sleep wasn't off and I wasn't playing with a cold, I think I could have grinded this out.
Deadlift - 370 1x 2, 1 x 5
Due to using a thicker than usual bar, my grip gave out and required a rest before doing a second set with my preferred bar. Not my prettiest reps - last two had a bit of flexion. Working on it. As always constructive criticism welcome.
Deadlifts - 370 -

10.4.17 workout
LBS - 250 3 X 5
Bench paused - 265 3 x 5
PC - 100 3 X 3 considering nixing these. They're so light relative to my deadlift, they can't be having any positive effect on it. They're fun, but I'm awful at them.
Chins - 3 x 8

10.6.17 workout
LBS - 270 5 X 5
Bench - 290 5,5,5,4,3 finally hit the wall on my stupidity aggressive progression. Going to reboot next week at 292.5 for 5 x 3 and micro load for the remainder of the year. I'd like to get at least close to December before I'm down to singles. Well see.
Deadlift - 285 3 x 5

10.8.17 workout
HBS - 240 3 X 5 letting the offset between heavy day and the other days grow just a tad.
Press - 177.5 3 x 3 ha, I'm finally starting to understand the reasoning behind and execution of the 2.0.
Deadlift - 375 1 x 5 have a few form things I need to keep working on. Most importantly here, lower back got a little loose on the back half. As always criticism welcome.
Chins - 8,4 moving these permanently to days that don't involve heavy pulls first. I didn't have anything left.

10.11.17 workout
Tired and achy today, enough so that I hope I'm not getting sick. Sleep has also been off until last night, so hopefully I just wasn't recovered well due to that. Everything felt loose and mis grooved lift wise, and I'm getting some minor knee and SI joint stuff. Going to get good sleep and hopefully be cool by Friday.
LBS - 255 3 x 5 - a bit of knee slide and upward movement of the bar in the bottom. Otherwise, per video, form looked better than it felt.
Bench paused - 270 3 x 5 a well intentioned spotter touched the bar on set 3 but I truly don't believe she helped. I'll say something if she spots again.
PC - 105 3 X 3
Going to rest. Hopefully I can avoid injury or sickness with some good recovery.

10.13.17 workout
Still feeling tired and not great. I think it's really bad seasonal allergies and bad sleep though.
LBS - 275 5 x 5 these felt like crap, but I got 'er done. My knee has been bugging me, and upon review, I'm going to deep my knees slam forward in the hole. Need to correct this ASAP.
Bench - 292.5 5 x 3 Actually ended up doing a couple extra sets. Long story short, got 2 sets done before the gym got desserted - our racks aren't great for self-spotting. Coached my wife for a half hour before just restarting from set 1 with a spotter when someone arrived. Ended up doing 7 sets total.
Deadlift - 285 3 x 5

Trying to bump my nutrition, sleep and supplementation into overdrive to push through this hump.

10.15 workout
Squat - 250 3 x 5
Press - 180 3,2,3 set 2 went bad because I paused too long after rep 2 and just couldn't get tight enough
Deadlift - 380 1 x 5 hard. Need to stop kicking the bar away via hip dropping. Made the last rep a huge grind.

10.18.17 workout
LBS - 260 3 x 5
Bench (paused) - 275 4,3,3
PC - 110 3 x 3
Chins - 8,4,4 working on forcing a dead hang at the bottom - realized I've not been doing this. My chins will probably be embarrassingly low in reps for the foreseeable future.

I think it's time to switch to triples on paused bench too. Also, after assessing my form and how my elbows and shoulders are starting to feel with LBS, I think for the near future, I just need to be resigned to the high bar. I'll see how 260 goes high bar on Friday, and then I'll load by 10 for a couple weeks to still hopefully end the year with work sets in the low 300s.

10.20 workout
Back to high bar. Too many shoulder and elbow complications from low bar.
HBS - 275 5 x 5
Bench - 295 5 x 3
Deadlift - 290 3 x 5

10.22 workout
Did squat and deadlift today. Skipped press due to time constraints. Will get it in tomorrow.
Sleep and nutrition were off all weekend so this was harder and sloppier than necessary.

HBS - 250 3 X 5
deadlift - 385 1 x 5 - very hard, and ugly toward the end. I might be nearing a point
of necessitating lower rep heavy deadlifts followed by backoffs. I'm not going to tolerate much more flexion than these reps had, if any.

10.23.17 workout
Press - 180 3 x 3
Press 1.0 back off - 135 3 x 5
Chins - strict dead hang - 3 x 4

Yep repeating 385 on deadlifts next week after talking to Mia Inman. Going to keep working on not kicking the bar forward - isn't helping.
10.25.217 workout
Squat - 260 3 x 5
Bench paused - 277.5 3 x 3
Instead of doing "heavy" (quoted because of how bad mine are) PC, I did some lighter deadlift reps, working up to 315 for a few. Focused on a very slow, controlled squeeze. It helped a lot. Video review showed that the bar is moving way less forward of midfoot to my eye. Still not perfect - my hips drop a tad - but the slower speed makes the bar stay a ton closer. Much of the distance from my shins at start was due to how fast I'd knock it with my legs, not the actual amount of hip dropping. Did some PC after this. Was tired, so to avoid doing crappy arm-pull PCs, I just kept it at 65 to work on the form. Hopefully the pulling camp in Lansing on 11.4 clears up my PC. If not it's going out of the rotation - a PC max under 150 is doing nothing to drive my deadlift max of over 405 up further.
Chins - strict dead hang, 3 x 4. Will try 3 x 5 next time. Adding a bit of a pause now just to reinforce the hang.

10.27.17 workout
Squat - 280 5 x 5
Bench - 297.5 5 x 3
Deadlift - worked up to 315 again. Started trying the alternate grip. My right thumb has a horrible injury of some sort, and I think hook has been exacerbating the problem. Forget exact reps - just focused on clean, slow reps.

10.29.17 workout
Squat - 265 2 x 5. These were brutal, then I realized I accidentally did medium day two days after a heavy day. Whoops.
Press - 182.5 3 x 3
Press "1.0" back off - 140 3 x 5
Deadlift - 315 1 x 5. Still working on the new grip and a slow squeeze. Need to slow the speed down by about half from where it was here. Reps were a little too fast, and I didn't get squoze on rep 5 - thoracic rounding. Good news is 315 now does not feel heavy whatsoever. Trying to strike that balance between paralysis by analysis and snap city. May deviate from the program and do an LP on my cleaned up deadlift, with all other programming as scheduled. I'd like to have my pulls back towhere they were a week ago with cleaner form by the new year. We'll see.

10.31.17 workout
Squat - did "light" day since I messed up order Sunday. 250 3 x 5. Felt way heavier than they should for some reason.
Bench paused - 280 3 x 3. Self-spotted in a rack. Accidentally got too low on the right side and hit the safety on one rep, but still got it up - counted it. These weren't easy.
Deadlift - 315 1 x 5. worked on form again. Much better - bar still rolled, but spine stayed pretty neutral. Did a single with 365 - also looked decent, rolling/hips dropping aside.
No more pulling this week - heavy squat, bench and then a pulling camp in Lansing on Sat with Sullivan/Kurisko. Want to save my lower back for it. Hopefully I come out with a better deadlift.

nkupianist

Old Log - November

Squat - 285 5 x 5
Bench - 300 5 x 3
Chins 3 x 4

11.4.17 workout - at pulling camp in Lansing, MI
Incredibly helpful. My heaviest set of deadlifts here was 325 for 5. Did all my PCs with 115.

11.6.17 workout
Squats - 255 3 x 5
Press - 185 3,2,1 Think I would have gotten at least 2 last set if I didn't have a hand/wrist injury going on - that made it tough
Back-off Press 1.0, 145 5,5,4
Going to try again two more times. If I stay stalled on these, I'll ride the program out to singles.
Deadlift - 335 1 x 5, 365 1 x 1

11.8.17 workout
Squat - 270 3 x 5
Bench paused - 285 3 x 3
SLDL - 285 3 x 5 first time doing these.
Chins - 3 x 5

11.10.17 workout
Called this one after squats due to some GI distress. Had a really bad morning and started getting cramps again on last set of squats. Wanted to be home when disaster struck. Hope to finish workout today.
Squat - 290 5 x 5

11.11.17 workout
Bench - well this was disappointing. I've been having a weird pec tightness on my right side - the bottom of reps feel way too stretched, and the top of the rep feels cramped for that pec, right around the insertion point at the arm pit. This got really bad today. After set 1, I deloaded to 275. Did two more paused triples. Just to get some volume in, I AMRAPPED 225 for 12. Awful and pointless programming decision, I know.
Deadlift - 295 3 x 5. These went well - probably the best form I've ever gotten on deadlifts - even managed to basically not move the bar at all on some reps.

Signed up for my first powerlifting meet. Hopefully my bench cooperates - if training all goes well, I could see myself putting up 325. If this pec thing continues, I'm probably relegated to the low 300s for the meet.
11.13.17 workout
Squat - 260 3 x 5
Press - 185 2, 2, 1 not happy here. One more week of an attempt, then I guess I ride out the program to singles...
Press 1.0 back-offs - 145 3 x 5
Deadlift - 345 1 x 5

11.15.17 workout
Squat - 275 2 x 5 (giving myself the beginning of the taper of sets here as in the book - 275 is definitely no longer light, especially at this point in the week before I'm fully recovered for heavy day)
Bench paused - 285 3 x 3
SLDL - 230 3 x 5
Pec still tight.

11.17 workout
Squat - 295 5 x 5
Bench - 300 5 x 3
Deadlift - 300 3 x 5
Pec still tight - meh.

11.19.17 workout
Saw Mia Inman today.
Squat - I think she fixed some issues with my knee tracking. Knees feel great. 265 3 x 5
Bench paused - 287.5 3 x 3 Nothing major seen wrong with my form here. Getting a massage. Definitely seems to be the pec minor area where i'm feeling all cramped.
Deadlift - 355 1 x 5, 385 1 x 1

11.22.17 workout
Squat - 280 2 x 5
Press - 185 3 x 3 (finally), 150 3 x 5 back offs (1.0 style)
SLDL - 235 3 x 5
Going to stop the stiff-legs I think. I have an injurious back history, and these seem to be consistently bringing on symptoms the next day.

11.24.17 workout
Squat - 300 5 x 5
Bench - 225 3 x 5 paused - working around this darn pec issue.
Deadlift - 300 3 x5

11.26.17 workout
Squat - 270 2 x 5
Press - 187.5 3 x 2
Deadlift - 365 1 x 5, 390 1 x 1

11.29.17 workout:
Squat - 285 2 x 5
Bench - 250 5 x 5 paused - Coach Campitelli gave me some tips to help with some pec discomfort. They helped, although my shoulder is now getting a bit tweaked. The deload helped though.
Snatch grip deadlift - 225 3 x 5 this was tolerated better by my back than stiff legs.

nkupianist

Old Log - December

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 am

12.1.17 workout:
Squat - 305 5 x 5 Started messing with some singles. Did 315, 335 and 350. Definitely felt brutalized the next day between this and the volume.
Bench (paused) - 235 3 x 5
Deadlift - 305 3 x 5
I've altered my pressing a bit due to scheduling and fatigue. till my mid-Jan meet, I'm doing more of HML structure with with my presses. L is Mon., H Wed. and M Fri.

12.4.17 workout
Squat - 275 2 x 5
Press 2.0 - 190 3 x 2
Press 1.0 - 160 3 x 5
Deadlift - 370 1 x 5, 395 1 x 1

12.6 workout
Squat - 275 2 x 5. Did light day again because I don't count good. Whoops.
Bench paused - 255 5 x 5, slingshot bench 315 1 x 5. Best pec has felt in weeks. Minor left shoulder stuff but I think that will fade. Still tweaking form.
SGDL - 230 3 X 5
Chins - 3 x 5

12.8 workout
Squat 310 5 x 5
Bench paused - 240 3 x 5
Deadlift - 310 2 x 5, starting to taper these down in volume as I get more beaten up.

12.12 workout
Squat - 280 2 x 5
Press - 192.5 3 x 2, 200 x 1 - really happy about this to be at 195 BW
Press 1.0 165 2 x 5, 1 x 3 - failed last set, will repeat.
Deadlift - 375 1 x 5, 405 1 x 1

12.14 workout
Squat - 295 2 x 5
Bench (paused) 255 5 x 5, 280 x 1, 300 x 1 going to start throwing some heavy singles in pre-meet.
Slingshot bench 315 1 x 5.5 (failed on 6)
SGDL 225 3 x 5

I did show up in between the 14th and 30th but got so behind on logging I never caught it up. For the most part, you can pretty much fill in the blanks - standard HLM incremental loads.

12.30 workout
Squat - 325 5 x 3, 355 1 x 1, 375 1 x 1, 385 1 x 1
Bench - 270 3 x 5. Too grindy to do last sets.
295 1 x 1, 310 1 x 1, 245 1 x 5
Deadlift - 315 2 x 5

nkupianist

Old Log - January

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 am

1.2 workout
Squat - 290 2 x 5
Press - 197.5 2 x 1, 1 failed 3rd single.
Press 1.0 165 1 x 4. On press, this is probably the worst workout I've had all training block. My fault - all recovery factors were horrible during the holidays. Got back on the wagon today.
Deadlift - 390 1 x 3, 410 1 x 1

1.4 workout
Abbreviated, short on time
Squat - 310 1 x 5
Bench - 255 3 x 5

1.6 workout
More of a mock meet. In singlet, did all my attempts for the meet, which is on 1.13.
Squat - 315, 355, 375
Bench - 275, 295, 315
Deadlift - 355, 390, 410

1.9 workout
Squat 275 3 x 5
Bench paused 260 3 x 5
Deadlift 315 3 x 5
Last workout before meet. Had meet today, 1/13. Went 9/9, total 1100.
375/315/410

1.15 workout
Front squat - 135 3 x 5, 185 1 learning form here. Going to do another HLM cycle with some exercise selection changes.
Press - 200 1, 170 5,3,3 going to start doing heavy singles then back offs
Deadlift - 385 1 x 5, 420 1

1.17 workout
Low bar squat - 300 3 x 5 going to keep these on medium day while I regroove them.
Incline - 185 3 x 8 giving hypertrophy ranges a tru for a couple lifts this cycle.
Barbell row (bodybuilding style ) 135 3 x 8
Chins for time. 2 mins. Got a whopping 11. Doing rows first spent me.

late as usual. Catchup post...
1.19 workout
Squat (high bar) - 315 5 x 5
Deadlift - 320 3 x 5
1.20 workout (time constraints - did bench this day)
bench - 260 5 x 5
the 1.19 deadlifts trashed me, so volume on M pull day is now 2 x 5.

1.22 workout:
Press - 200 3 x 1, some failed attempts in there, but got all 3 singles.
Memory is fuzzy, but THINK next, I got 165 5,4,3
Front squat - 140 3 x 8
Deadlift - 390 1 x 3, failed the 4th. This was why I decided to reduce the stress of M pull day.

1.24.18 workout:
LBS - 275 3 x 5, got some more form feedback on these. Rushed the reps a bit because of lightness. Did a better job keeping my upper back tight and elbows down. 315 1 x 1
Incline - 195 3 x 8
Barbell rows - 140 3 x 8
Chins for time, 2 mins (giant set), total of 15 reps.

1.26.18 workout
LBS (doing them heavy day now) 320 5 x 5, definitely am feeling the benefit of the hips on this lift now relative to HBS. They weren't easy but would have felt a lot heavier high bar. Form is 85-90% there I'd say - still have the occasional rep where I get loose in the hole or get pitched forward too much.
Bench - 262.5 5 x 5 (paused)
Deadlift - 325 2 x 5

1.29.18 workout
Front squat - 145 3 x 8
Press - 200 3 x 1, 170 5,4,3
Deadlift - 390 1 x 5

1.31 workout
LBS - 285 3 x 5
Incline 200 3 x 8
Deadlift (belted, with flats) - giving this a try. 325 2 x 5. Think I'm a flats candidate. Pull felt way better. Back stayed way flatter too.

nkupianist

Old log - February

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 am

2.2 workout
LBS - 325 5 x 5
bench - 265 5 x 5 (paused)
Barbell Row - 145 3 x 8

2.4 workout
Front squat - 150 3 x 8
Press - 202.5 3 x 1, 170 3 x 3
Deadlift - 395 1 x 5, should have listened to my body and deteriorating form. Back tweak. Followed AB's advice and moved around a ton. Went to the gym last evening and pulled 95 for reps, along with reverse hypers. With NSAIDs, it's about 50% better already today. Going to pull 135 for 20s tonight. Will treat this as a deload week but try to make every workout. My goal is to start something RPE-based next week. Enough #voluntaryhardship for this guy.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 am

2.7.18 workout

Pretty boring stuff. Just testing some weight on my back. Squats - 135, 3 x 5 beltless (some paused), 185, 3 x 3 beltless (some paused), 225 1, 2 with belt
Deadlift - 135 3 x 5, 185 3, 225 2

Some tightness and discomfort that's probably typical of working a recently tweaked area, but no sharp pain during, and no new pains after. Back was 80% yesterday, and it's 90% today. The goal tomorrow will be to work into the low 300s with squat and deadlift and get some pressing variant in. After that, I should be back to programming as usual and will start the Bridge Monday. If Friday goes badly for any reason, I'll take the following week to continue working with medium-high intensity weights and will resume training one week later than I currently intend to.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 am

2.9 workout
(late posting obviously)
did a final testing day for the lower back. Worked up to 315 for a single on squat, followed by 275 3 x 5 back offs. Felt fine.
Benched 245 for 3 x 5. Back is still a tad sensitive to an arch, but it was ok.
Deadlift - worked up to 345 for 2 singles, then did a bit of back off volume with 275 3 x 5.
Ready to start The bridge today. Spent the weekend working on some DIY deadlift blocks. Since those aren't done for rack pulls and my gym doesn't have rack pins low enough, I'll be substituting pause deadlifts for rack pulls today. Hopefully blocks are done in a few days.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 am

2.12 workout
First week on The Bridge, by Barbell Medicine. One substitution - did paused deadlifts instead of rack pulls - still building some blocks.
Squat w/belt - 280 x 5 @ 6, 290 x 5 @ 7, 305 x 5 @8.5 (assigned RPE on this set was 8)
Close grip bench: 195 x 4 @ 6 (assigned RPE was 7), 205 x 4 @ 7 (assigned RPE was 8), 215 x 4 @ 8 (assigned RPE was 9)
2 ct paused deadlift, 1" off floor: 205 x 7 @ 6 (assigned RPE was 7), 220 x 7 @ 8(assigned RPE was 7), 225 x 9 @0 (assigned RPE was 8)

figuring out efficient nomenclature to log assigned vs actual RPE in here. Log will get clearer as I go. For now, if the RPE /= assigned RPE, I'm just notating that. I've seen some notes on tables in here - I'll read them later.

RPE rating skills are still developing too. I'm sure I'll get better at this as I go.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 am

2.14 workout

2 count beltless paused squat:
225 x 4 @ 7(assigned RPE: 7)
235 x 4 @ 8 (assigned RPE: 8)
245 x 4 @ 9 (assigned RPE: 9)

Press w/belt:
140 x 5 @ 6 (assigned RPE: 6)
150 x 5 @ 7.5 (assigned RPE: 7)
155 x 5 @ 8 (assigned RPE: 8)

Barbell Row:
135 x 8 @ 6 (assigned RPE: 6)
145 x 8 @ 6 (assigned RPE: 7)
185 x 8 @ 8 (assigned RPE: 8)
185 x 8 @ 8 (assigned RPE: 8)

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:37 am

2.15 GPP workout
chins (7 mins AMRAP): 5,3,3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1 (31 total)
Planks: 7 mins AMRAP: I didnt log exact rest/plank intervals. Started with 1 or 2 1 min. planks, 30 seconds rest. Progressed to 30 secs on/1 off. I'd be very happy if I could do 1 min. on/30 secs off for entire 7 mins at the end of the 8 week block
Elliptical - 25 mins, approx. 120 HR.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 am

2.16 workout
Deadlift w/belt:
310 x 5 @ 6 (assigned RPE: 6)
325 x 5 @ 7 (assigned RPE: 7)
340 x 5 @ 8 (assigned RPE: 8)
These were harder than they should have been. Not used to doing chins the day before - lats were fried.

Bench, 1 ct paused (competition bench):
225 x 5 @ 6 (assigned RPE: 6)
240 x 5 @ 7.5 (assigned RPE: 7.5)
250 x 5 @ 8.5 (assigned RPE: 8)

3-0-3 tempo squat (beltless) - my new least favorite exercise
185 x 8 @ 7 (assigned RPE: 6)
185 x 8 @ 8.5 (assigned RPE: 7)
185 x 8 @ 9 (assigned RPE: 8)
Going to repeat these weights. I can do much more, but this is still a very foreign and painful lift for me.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 am

2.19 workout
nomenclature note: for this program, due to all the single sets at a given RPE, when multiple sets are performed, it makes the most sense to list weight x reps x sets when multiple sets are performed. I'll be sticking to this for the duration of the program.

Squat w/belt:
285 x 5 @6 (assigned RPE: 6)
290 x 5 @ 7 (assigned RPE: 7)
305 x 5 x 3 @8 (assigned RPE: 8)

Close grip bench:
205 x 4@6 (assigned RPE: 7)
215 x 4@8 (assigned RPE: 8)
230 x 4@8.5 (assigned RPE: 9)
230 x 4@8 (assigned RPE: 9)
Still getting the form down, hence the random RPE bump at the end. Need to go a bit heavier next time, it seems, assuming this wasn't just a fluky good day.

Block pulls
315 x 7@6 (assigned RPE: 7)
365 x 7@8.5 (assigned RPE:8)
375 x 7@9 (assigned RPE: 9)
375 x 7@9.5 (assigned RPE:9)
It seems I went too light on set 1 and too heavy on 2-4. These were much harder than I expected. I'll be a tad more conservative next workout and will take less of a jump after set 1.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am

Catch up post (as always):
2.21 workout

2 ct paused squat:
235 x 4@7 (assigned RPE:7)
245 x 4@8 (assigned RPE:8)
255 x 4@9 x 2 sets (assigned RPE:9)

Press w/belt:
145 x 5@6 (assigned RPE: 6)
155 x 5@7 (assigned RPE: 7)