XFit

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Re: XFit

Post by asdf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Yep, I posted on SS a couple years back that we have reached peak-crossfit.
"Peak CrossFit" is not the point of the article linked by Kyle.

Glassman is tired of the Games detracting from CrossFit's primary mission: battling chronic disease and helping the masses become more fit.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 pm

omaniphil wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
ebb wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm It was before my time, but I've always wondered how the Rippetoe/Xfit partnership worked out. (Well, I know how it eventually worked, but that it ever happened at all, is what I mean.) Any memories from consule Planco?
I don't know the story about how the Crossfit/Rip relationship ended...
Here you go:

[I decided to delete the link I had put here previously. It was to a post in the infamous "Couch Thread" on Irongarmx. I'm not sure such a link is appropriate for this forum.]

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm "Peak CrossFit" is not the point of the article linked by Kyle.

Glassman is tired of the Games detracting from CrossFit's primary mission: battling chronic disease and helping the masses become more fit.
I would argue that's what's behind it. I've not seen Glassman previously show any public concern for chronic disease and the like. Maybe I missed it, or maybe he's done so quietly behind the scenes; but HQ has under his leadership put lots of money, time and effort into the Games, and relatively little into broadening Crossfit's current demographic appeal (basically: well-educated white 25-34yo couples with household income $150k+), and absolutely fuck all into supporting new Crossfit gym owners; they get no business mentoring, nothing prevents another Crossfit opening next door, etc.

Anything that got Crossfit's name out there and grew the brand was considered good. Now that affiliate numbers have plateaued he's suddenly terribly worried about the world's health. Note that he specifically mentions affiliates with 300+ members. In other words, the more financially successful Crossfits are those who broaden their appeal beyond the Games funnel, and he is intrigued by this. He'll be multiplying the number of members by their average annual spend and thinking how HQ can get a chunk of that.

SS at least has tried to appeal to a broad demographic from the start.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:56 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm SS at least has tried to appeal to a broad demographic from the start.
#narrowcasting

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 am

asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 pm
mbasic wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Yep, I posted on SS a couple years back that we have reached peak-crossfit.
"Peak CrossFit" is not the point of the article linked by Kyle.
I don't know man . . . .
(the article)
The restructuring, orchestrated by CrossFit founder Greg Glassman, came just a week after the 12th CrossFit Games and a surprise to many in the company. One employee who was not laid off estimated it was “close to 30 – 40%” of staff in CrossFit’s Santa Cruz, CA office.

On the surface, the force reduction appears to be further evidence that CrossFit, Inc. is hemorrhaging money and finds itself in dire straits financially. However, after years of failing to turn a profit, the CrossFit Games is now in the black according to multiple sources inside HQ. Last year, they sold more than 60,000 tickets and by all indications the 2018 Games was an even bigger success. They also added a half-dozen new corporate sponsors like RockTape, RXBAR, and Pure Spectrum to their already impressive roster.

So what could be the reason for this massive downsizing?
If the current model was still very profitable, they would keep doing it for sure.
But its not.
(the article) “We chose to make these changes to refocus our efforts towards the core of CrossFit: our affiliates, seminars and certifications, and our core mission: preventing and reversing chronic disease,” an anonymous source within CrossFit said.
So...then couldn't quote Glassman himself even about the who'e "we care about the world health thing". or Castro.
No one in corporate could ink their name to this?

Ehh, that's all bullshit. ("on the surface")
This thing has obviously run its course, time to downsize, or find some other market to fleece for profit.
But lack of profits/money is whats really driving them to their new-so-holy-we-will-fight-disease mantra.
If they honestly believed their own bullshit, they would have more sensible programming that could be progressed.
and focus moreso on strength training, like ...... um...... SS.
They know (have known) this already (Strength training is most-band-for-your-buck health wise).

Probably come up with some new proprietary regimen that they can bill your health insurance company goverment for
when your doctor prescribes it.
ElderFit (tm).

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 am

mettkeks wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:56 am #narrowcasting
They just say that so that instead of feeling bad about being dumb with marketing, they can feel good about being smart enough to appreciate the genius of The Method; Rip has specifically said you have to be intelligent to get it. This is of course arrant nonsense; lots of dumb people lift and understand the benefits, and lots of smart people don't see the point, or do but don't care.

When an inexperienced trainer can't get a newbie to squat, it's not necessarily true that the person can't squat, it may be true that the trainer doesn't know how to teach them; likewise, if Rip, Reynolds and so on can't get a lot of people to "get" The Method's usefulness, it's not necessarily true that people can't get it, it may be true that Rip et al can't communicate it to them well. And mass communication is called "marketing." Statements like "you have to squat or you're a pussy" are amusing to those of us who do squat, but aren't calculated to attract inexperienced newbies.

Nonetheless it remains true that, in contrast to Crossfit, SS has not aimed merely at the rich white young demographic; they aim at poor and middle-classed whites of all ages, too, particularly the older and broken ones. That's the informal HQ they have, anyway; obviously individual SS-oriented gyms, like individual Crossfit gyms, will have different approaches.

The macho chest-thumping also slants the marketing towards the male demographic, and it's arguable whether their marketing actively excludes certain ethnic minorities, homosexuals and so on or just doesn't target them. But again, however badly they are at least trying for a broader demographic than does Crossfit. It's just that Crossfit is good at marketing, and SS is relatively bad - and like programming, you don't have to be an expert in marketing to see this, you can just judge on results. The Crossfit Games has millions of dollars in prizes and is viewed by millions of people worldwide, while the StrengthLifting Federation is a dozen people grunting in someone's gym.
mbasic wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 am Probably come up with some new proprietary regimen that they can bill your health insurance company goverment for
ElderFit (tm).
This would be the hope. Fitness professionals' organisations worldwide are all striving towards getting a chunk of that sweet, sweet public money currently going to doctors, nurses, radiographers, pharmacists and so on. If you run an ordinary old gym then customers come and go based on their own whim; but if you can get 3 sets of 5 prescribed, well...

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 am

It will interesting to see how the trans policy will impact the games. I doubt that there are enough trans athletes working at high enough levels to impact the women's field. But the moment there's one that makes the games, this shit will hit the fan.

If they follow IOC policy, then they will require a T level below a certain point for a year or two? And they won't require surgery. So, in theory, you could see a biological male, fully intact, with reduced T on the women's podium. If they are interested in killing the appeal of the Games, this would do it.

They are betting that it just won't happen. That way they can nod to trans activists without risking much.

Any controversy with this at the Crossfit Open will probably be too small to get them much flack. I don't know the xfit culture, but I suspect that women at the local level will be too worried about being labelled a transphobe at their local box to complain. And it's not as if xfit is going to require T level testing until they get to Regionals. And, again, there probably aren't any trans athletes that will make it to this level. The funnel is steep.

https://morningchalkup.com/2018/08/03/c ... o-compete/

quark

Post by quark » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:04 am

Rip has written that their biggest increase in attention and sales came following a mention in the NY Times. Consistent with Kyle's statement, #narrowcasting is just an excuse for poor marketing and Rip's desire to be a snarky asshole.

I'd have thought the money is in supplements rather than going for insurance reimbursement or the like. steadymd can't seem to pull off insurance reimbursement and they're doctors (including Jordan and Austin).

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:09 am

asdf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 pm
omaniphil wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
ebb wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 pm It was before my time, but I've always wondered how the Rippetoe/Xfit partnership worked out. (Well, I know how it eventually worked, but that it ever happened at all, is what I mean.) Any memories from consule Planco?
I don't know the story about how the Crossfit/Rip relationship ended...
Here you go:

[I decided to delete the link I had put here previously. It was to a post in the infamous "Couch Thread" on Irongarmx. I'm not sure such a link is appropriate for this forum.]
looked it up. that thing is 1400pgs long. Any idea on which page to start reading?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:12 am

quark wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:04 am Rip has written that their biggest increase in attention and sales came following a mention in the NY Times. Consistent with Kyle's statement, #narrowcasting is just an excuse for poor marketing and Rip's desire to be a snarky asshole.
The story below brought SSBBT3 to near the top of the Amazon sales list for a while. $$$$$$$$$

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/opin ... razed.html

I'm sure that DD gained too much weight too fast, but this article picked up on an attitude that I encounter from colleagues and other soi bois.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/half-l ... lass-85221

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:27 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 am Probably come up with some new proprietary regimen that they can bill your health insurance company goverment for
ElderFit (tm).
This would be the hope. Fitness professionals' organisations worldwide are all striving towards getting a chunk of that sweet, sweet public money currently going to doctors, nurses, radiographers, pharmacists and so on. If you run an ordinary old gym then customers come and go based on their own whim; but if you can get 3 sets of 5 prescribed, well...
Here's what I find perplexing here with Glassman and Rip (via Sullivan and the Barbell Prescription stuff*): with public funding will come a regulated profession. Both Glassman and Rip (Glassman actually putting skin in the game with lobbying money, iirc) have railed against licensing and registration or personal trainers and coaches. I understand why. However, as soon as that first $1 of public money is spent, it's going to be regulated. You don't get one without the other. Xfit is big enough to put their certification levels through some accreditation process. I don't know if Rip can fund this, even if his principles would allow it.
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 am It will interesting to see how the trans policy will impact the games. I doubt that there are enough trans athletes working at high enough levels to impact the women's field. But the moment there's one that makes the games, this shit will hit the fan.
I think Chlo Johnson (I think I got her name right) would be decently competitive at a regional level.

*Dr. Sullivan would be okay since he is a board-certified MD. @JordanFeigenbaum and @Austin would be fine also, since they have passed boards. I imagine that if the organization is done right, that what are currently coaches can work as consultants and do some version of exercise triage, but the programming and nutrition would have to carry an MD (or RD) signature to be covered by insurance. In essence, BBM would be fine if this were to materialize, and possible SSOC if it's setup proper, but I'm not sure. Even then the SSC carries no weight in that scenario other than being an additional employment requirement of the SSOC.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 am

mgil wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:27 am
iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 am It will interesting to see how the trans policy will impact the games. I doubt that there are enough trans athletes working at high enough levels to impact the women's field. But the moment there's one that makes the games, this shit will hit the fan.
I think Chlo Johnson (I think I got her name right) would be decently competitive at a regional level.
Chloie Jonsson is not competitive and CJ is not going to compete in the 2019 open because of "injuries." CJ sued Xfit in 2014 or so because they wouldn't allow CJ to compete. There was some settlement. A trans advocacy journal has an article on the new XFit policy here:

https://www.them.us/story/crossfit-games-trans-policy

They didn't mention more than a couple trans people doing xfit. If there were any serious competitors, I'd expect that they would be mentioned.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am

As for the health thing, Glassman has given lots and lots of presentations about how bad sugar is and has publicly lobbed a lot of grenades at Coke, as well as being a strong voice against gluten and advocating for specific diet interventions.

Not sure how anyone can say he hasn't been on a "public health" advocacy/tirade for years.

Edit: from 2 years ago -

From 3 years ago -

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 am
Chloie Jonsson is not competitive and CJ is not going to compete in the 2019 open because of "injuries." CJ sued Xfit in 2014 or so because they wouldn't allow CJ to compete. There was some settlement. A trans advocacy journal has an article on the new XFit policy here:

https://www.them.us/story/crossfit-games-trans-policy

They didn't mention more than a couple trans people doing xfit. If there were any serious competitors, I'd expect that they would be mentioned.
There’s no caption for the cover photo... Am I gay or not?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 am

broseph wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am Am I gay or not?
yes

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:50 am

mgil wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:41 am
broseph wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am Am I gay or not?
yes
Yes, I’m not gay?!?! This is a relief. And very definitive. Meaning we don’t need to talk about it ever again. Unless you want to DM me about further testing.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm I've not seen Glassman previously show any public concern for chronic disease and the like. Maybe I missed it
Yeah, you missed it. it's been there from the start.

Here's Glassman in 2007 talking about public health at an early CrossFit seminar. CrossFit's description of his lecture:

"Much of the public information about diet, particularly the emphasis on low fat and high carbs, has resulted in a near epidemic of obesity and type II diabetes. In this first of a two-part lecture excerpt, Coach Glassman explores some of the science behind nutrition and the body, particularly the role of insulin in health and disease. "Syndrome X," the "deadly quartet" (obesity, glucose intolerance, high blood pressure, high triglycerides), and coronary heart disease, he claims, are avoidable through dietary means."

More recently, here's a CBS news video and article from April 2016 in which Glassman describes CrossFit as a "'non-medical health care company' that can prevent chronic disease."

Here's an article about Glassman getting personally involved in California politics in order to take on the soda industry. It mentions supporting a particular candidate, producing videos, and hosting "public health and chronic disease awareness events at affiliates across the district."

Here's a video of Glassman lecturing about how CrossFit has the cure for chronic disease, also from two years ago.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 am

asdf wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am
Here's a video of Glassman lecturing about how CrossFit has the cure for chronic disease, also from two years ago.
What's wrong with Glassman? Did he fall off a rope or something? I can't recall what his excuse was. But he looks to have a few diseases. It makes him an awful spokesman for the cure.

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:54 pm ...[CrossFit] HQ has ... [put] relatively little [time and effort] into broadening Crossfit's current demographic appeal (basically: well-educated white 25-34yo couples with household income $150k+),
SS at least has tried to appeal to a broad demographic from the start.
You think SS is targeting a broader demographic than CrossFit? That's ridiculous.

There are more non-white CrossFitters than people who have ever heard of Starting Strength.

Check a map of CrossFit affiliates. You think the 15 CrossFit gyms in Lima, the 13 in New Delhi, the 45 in Shanghai, the 48 in Busan, the 6 in Kuala Lumpur, etc. and etc. are filled with white people? (I've been to CrossFit gyms in each of those places. I can assure you they're not.)

Even if you're right about the percentages, as the base expands, more and more people of color are coming into CrossFit. There are definitely affiliates in southern California where the majority of members are non-white (with the majority being Asian and/or Latino).

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:04 am

iamsmu wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:43 am What's wrong with Glassman? Did he fall off a rope or something? I can't recall what his excuse was.
His "excuse" is that he contracted polio as a child. 60 Minutes reported that he also suffered a serious leg injury dismounting from the rings in his youth. Is one or the other or both a sufficient "excuse" for you? He's 62, by the way.

At 10 weeks old, he contracted polio, although he wasn’t diagnosed until more than a year later, when he was given a small walker. “I was just one-legging it for a while,” he says, laughing. “I’m not the wallowing type.”

Given his medical history, contact sports weren’t an option, and, at 5'6", neither was competitive swimming. But gymnastics was, so he became a ring man, despite his parents’ concern that he’d hurt himself. “I couldn’t run as fast as the others, but I could always do more pull-ups than anybody,” he says. “All I needed was chalk and the rings and to be left alone.”
https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/crossfi ... ive-2015-9