Who is on a cut?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

augeleven

Re: Who is on a cut?

Post by augeleven » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:26 pm

dcw wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am Jesus, do I sound like as big of a tool to you all as I do to myself saying this garbage?
When people asked about my lifting and I replied that I only lift for strength, not aesthetics: I sounded like a tool,
When I said that I'm exercising to be healthy and durable so I can be there to take care of my family well into old age, but still ate recklessly and spent time exercising that I could have spent helping my daughters read or something: I sounded like a tool.

something something, eat arby's.

One more: Sometimes I read this thread while sitting on the coach at 1am eating ice cream straight from the carton.

QED

eta: I don't think you sound like a tool

DCM

Post by DCM » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm

iamsmu wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:10 am
JohnHelton wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am
TimK wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 pm
JohnHelton wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:58 pmIncidentally, I find it crazy that professional males seem to be so concern with having a runner/triathlete body. I guess they associate bulk with being a laborer. Really stupid, but I do think it is a bit of classism.
Is this a real thing?
My wife and I are convinced that it is. When we go out to dinner, we see so many men that seem to be competing with their wives as to which one can be the skinniest. They all want to look something like Jordan Spieth. Long and lean. That works well in a suit. And looking good in a suit while having "great hair" signals that you are successful. Obviously, I don't buy into that world view.

Oh, and the wives trying to be as tiny as models...that doesn't workout so well when they are in their late 40s and losing all musculature.

People should try to avoid being fat. That isn't healthy. However, I wish it was more common for people to want to be strong AF. I literally don't know anyone else outside of this forum and Instagram that is doing that.

I just remembered this story: After my first powerlifting meet, my wife wanted to show off videos of me lifting in competition to her family at Christmas. My sister-in-law (a runner) was so disgusted that she couldn't watch any of the videos. Literally, none of her family can understand why I do what I do. It seems very strange to me. One could ask the very same question of the runner. Why run? However, that practice is very widely accepted.
https://psmag.com/social-justice/half-l ... lass-85221
Your story and that article are deeply depressing. The culture seems a bit different over here in the UK, thank God. Though I too have had my fair share of stupid comments about "not getting muscle-bound", etc. But most people I come across dig that I'm dedicated to a physical pursuit of some sort and not just a tub of lard. The specifics of said pursuit don't seem to matter too much.

DCM

Post by DCM » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am
dcw wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:58 am
JohnHelton wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 am
dcw wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 am
Wayne wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm Have any of you guys targeted abs (situps, rollouts etc) with assistance work?
2-3x per week.
1 x 5-8min density block of ab wheel
1 x 5-8min density block of knee/leg raises
1 x various planks for a few sets each

Always done at the end of conditioning/gpp days. I hate training abs; the density block thing makes it tolerable. I have no idea to what extent it has actually helped my ab development, but i'm sure it's more than zero.
Dexter, you have to be getting as close to abs as anyone.
In the right light on the right day with the correct amount of water being retained in the right place, I can see them prominently. I'm at that point where the way I look fluctuates wildly depending on the time of day, carb intake, water, blah blah blah (this is a thing, right?). My hope is to lose just a bit more (5lb?) and then with the expected slight bump in weight transitioning back to maintenance I'll fill out and look even leaner. Jesus, do I sound like as big of a tool to you all as I do to myself saying this garbage?
Welcome to the tool box. Glad you could join our party. :D
Yep, if you are a tool, then so are we all. RIPPED TOOLS!! ;-)

ch

Post by ch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Many people who don’t train don’t realize the stereotypical meathead/lunk look involves lots of “supplements.” They don’t realize that you can be very strong without looking like Thor Bjornsson.

For example the average person probably wouldn’t think Austin is “too musclebound,” yet he’s at an elite level of strength.

dcw

Post by dcw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 pm

At least I’m in good company! Lol

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 am

DCM wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm
JohnHelton wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:58 pmIncidentally, I find it crazy that professional males seem to be so concern with having a runner/triathlete body. I guess they associate bulk with being a laborer. Really stupid, but I do think it is a bit of classism.
Is this a real thing?
My wife and I are convinced that it is. When we go out to dinner, we see so many men that seem to be competing with their wives as to which one can be the skinniest. They all want to look something like Jordan Spieth. Long and lean. That works well in a suit. And looking good in a suit while having "great hair" signals that you are successful. Obviously, I don't buy into that world view.

Oh, and the wives trying to be as tiny as models...that doesn't workout so well when they are in their late 40s and losing all musculature.

People should try to avoid being fat. That isn't healthy. However, I wish it was more common for people to want to be strong AF. I literally don't know anyone else outside of this forum and Instagram that is doing that.

I just remembered this story: After my first powerlifting meet, my wife wanted to show off videos of me lifting in competition to her family at Christmas. My sister-in-law (a runner) was so disgusted that she couldn't watch any of the videos. Literally, none of her family can understand why I do what I do. It seems very strange to me. One could ask the very same question of the runner. Why run? However, that practice is very widely accepted.
Your story and that article are deeply depressing. The culture seems a bit different over here in the UK, thank God. Though I too have had my fair share of stupid comments about "not getting muscle-bound", etc. But most people I come across dig that I'm dedicated to a physical pursuit of some sort and not just a tub of lard. The specifics of said pursuit don't seem to matter too much.
I’m in the UK as well and I would say I’ve noticed more people taking an interest in weight training. They seem to go to the usual box gym PT’s and do things we would consider silly, but it’s a start. To be fair I think that’s how a lot of people get into it anyway.

DCM

Post by DCM » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:23 am

Wayne wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 am
DCM wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm
Is this a real thing?

I’m in the UK as well and I would say I’ve noticed more people taking an interest in weight training. They seem to go to the usual box gym PT’s and do things we would consider silly, but it’s a start. To be fair I think that’s how a lot of people get into it anyway.
Yeah, and gym culture in general seems to have become pretty mainstream here in the last few years, at least among the under-40s. You see lots of products marketed at gym-goers in supermarkets - protein drinks, protein-enriched cereals etc. Definitely a shift from even a few years ago, I'd say.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:40 am

We’re in Chicago for a funeral. What am I gonna do, not eat Italian beef twice a day?

I had really good recent whoosh down in weight. Hoping to at least break even after this weekend.

ch

Post by ch » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 pm

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 pm

The masses are out of control. Next they are going to be eating large amounts of protein and lifting heavy weights. That will certainly not be good.

quark

Post by quark » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:18 am

cwd wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:43 am I'm using MATADOR protocol: cut 2 weeks, maintain 2 weeks, repeat.
"This systematic review in obese and overweight individuals showed that regular intermittent dieting decreased lean mass compared to continuous dieting. There were no differences in effects for either intermittent vs continuous interventions across all other outcomes. In contrast to previous systematic reviews, this study suggested that lean mass is better preserved in continuous dieting compared to regular intermittent dieting."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-018-0204-0

However, if something is working for an individual, it doesn't really matter whether it works for others. Also, I'm not sure how on point the study might be.

h/t Austin's twitter feed.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 pm

@quark, that's interesting.

I'd like to read the whole report, to see what definitions of intermittent were used in the various studies. And I'd like to see the measured effect size, even if it was was it statistically significant was it practically large enough to matter? But the default guess should always be: it doesn't matter. Calories in vs. calories out.

I like the maintenance weeks because it gives me a mental break and practice at avoiding the rebound effect. And, I'm not on a schedule so I can afford the lost time.

P.s. went to the goodwill store today and bought a pair of 32" waist jeans. Tight today, should fit just fine in two weeks...

quark

Post by quark » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:49 pm

@cwd Full paper at https://scihub.unblocked.gdn/https://ww ... 018-0204-0

I haven't read it yet, but it appears that weight loss followed calories in v calories out, the difference was in body composition - fat loss v LBM loss.

Congrats on your 32" jeans.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Roughly 4-5 weeks of maintenance due to various trips away and holidays. Over this period waist is roughly static, weight down a couple of pounds.

Aim for this week is to return to prior macros and see how I get on. Can adjust down if required.

Congrats on the 32” jeans.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:36 pm

quark wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:49 pm Full paper at https://scihub.unblocked.gdn/https://ww ... 018-0204-0
I haven't read it yet, but it appears that weight loss followed calories in v calories out, the difference was in body composition - fat loss v LBM loss.
The studies were very different from one another, and probably very few of the subjects were doing heavy resistance training, if any. The overall difference between continuous vs. intermittent was an average of 1 extra pound lean mass lost by the intermittent dieters.

I'm sticking with my default guess that intermittent/not only matters if it affects compliance.
Congrats on your 32" jeans.
Thanks! My actual waist is 34.5" today, but we all know pants sizes flatter us.

ch

Post by ch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm

I’m seriously considering some sort of meal replacement shake for breakfast on days where I work mornings. I’ve tried overnight oats... don’t like the texture.

I’m never actually hungry in the morning. I just don’t function well at work if I don’t eat.

Does anyone have experience with this?

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:51 pm

ch wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:22 pm I’m seriously considering some sort of meal replacement shake for breakfast on days where I work mornings. I’ve tried overnight oats... don’t like the texture.

I’m never actually hungry in the morning. I just don’t function well at work if I don’t eat.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Yes.

I used to really like The Man Shake but they're an Aussie product, probably not available over there. But that's how I originally lost 40kgs. I've tried a couple of others that are also probably Aussie only so not much good to you.

Lately (not that I've had one in months) I really like the Scitec Nutrition Shake & Wait - https://uk.scitecnutrition.com/products/shake-wait - possibly these are available in the States.

They go a pudding like texture due to the glucommanan, which seems a bit weird at first but that helps make them more filling for longer. They taste pretty good too.

DCM

Post by DCM » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 am

Today I'm beginning what will hopefully be the final, 12-week phase of my cut. 93kg and 35.6 inches today, by the end I want to be 87-88kg and whatever my waist has to be for a defined six-pack. Abs for Xms or gtfo! Watch this space...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 am

DCM wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 am Today I'm beginning what will hopefully be the final, 12-week phase of my cut. 93kg and 35.6 inches today, by the end I want to be 87-88kg and whatever my waist has to be for a defined six-pack. Abs for Xms or gtfo! Watch this space...
Good success to you, @DCM

I think i'm 18 or so days in maintaing a fairly mild deficit (- 400 calories is my best guess). Woke up today just a hair over 195 instead of 200 where i started.

Plenty of bodyfat to make up the difference, and i'm geared up to be using it, so it seems like basically zero impact on performance.
I'm going to continue the deficit and could bump up 100 calories if it seems needed.
I've never done this while actively focusing on strength for a meet, but it's cool learning my parameters better.

I've only ever lost hella weight at once, or done a heavy deficit for two weeks between my last two DL cycles, or mildly mildly modulated weight as i bumped up against 200+ lbs.

Protein has remained at 1gram per lb bw.
As long as my numbers stay in line with my progressions and meet goals, i'll keep slimming down.
November i may want to go surplus again, but that remains to be seen.

I would love to do well at my meet, and also have a head start on the big cut i want.
Could make 2019 more productive than waiting to cut.

#WingingIt

DCM

Post by DCM » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks Wilhelm, it's appreciated. I'm excited and apprehensive (will I achieve my desired results?) in equal measure.

A slow-and-steady approach as you seem to have adpoted truly is the best way forward for long-term success, imo.