XFit

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

Re: XFit

Post by asdf » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for the detailed response, @Austin. I sincerely appreciate it.

I hope that your seminar material turns into a book, because I would surely like to read it.

alek

Post by alek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Austin wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am Cholesterol is a sterol molecule that itself is not causative of cardiovascular disease, and is essential for numerous physiologic functions (hence why every cell in your body can synthesize it on its own, if necessary). Dietary cholesterol intake, in general, tends to have little effect on blood cholesterol levels (except perhaps in a small subset of genetically predisposed individuals).

Cholesterol (among many other things) is carried on various lipoprotein particles, such as low-density lipoprotein particles (LDL-P). The subset of these particles carrying apolipoprotein B are the direct cause of cardiovascular disease, with risk being proportional to the lifelong exposure (i.e., concentration x time) to apoB particles ... and denying this is a problem. This risk can be further accelerated by processes that modify these particles (e.g. smoking, chronic inflammatory states like autoimmune disease, diabetes, HIV infection, etc.) and increase their tendency to become retained in vascular walls and attract the attention of the immune system. [For more, see here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5837225/ ]

...stuff I haven't read yet...
Thanks for this, Austin!!

I see you wrote exposure and it's in the article cited as well. Can you explain that, please? How are we exposed? Can we control when or how much we're exposed? Is it all about lifestyle factors such as maintaining a healthy weight, not smoking, etc.?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 am

Yes, @Austin, y'all are in the process of writing a book, yeah? Any ETA?

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 am

alek wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm Thanks for this, Austin!!

I see you wrote exposure and it's in the article cited as well. Can you explain that, please? How are we exposed? Can we control when or how much we're exposed? Is it all about lifestyle factors such as maintaining a healthy weight, not smoking, etc.?
It's basically referring to the lifelong exposure of your vascular system to the apoB-containing particles - as I said above, you can think of it as the [blood concentration] x [time] AUC. And those things are certainly important, yes, but there are a number of other considerations where things can get complicated.
Cody wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 am Yes, @Austin, y'all are in the process of writing a book, yeah? Any ETA?
Eh, I'm working on several other projects that will be released first, but all the material from it will ultimately end up in book form at some point. The problem is every time I think I "know" something, I read something new that sends me down the rabbit hole all over again :lol:

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am

Austin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 am
Cody wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 am Yes, Austin, y'all are in the process of writing a book, yeah? Any ETA?
Eh, I'm working on several other projects that will be released first, but all the material from it will ultimately end up in book form at some point. The problem is every time I think I "know" something, I read something new that sends me down the rabbit hole all over again :lol:
Pretty sure that's why @JordanFeigenbaum said he never released his book...

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 am

Cody wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am
Austin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 amThe problem is every time I think I "know" something, I read something new that sends me down the rabbit hole all over again :lol:
Yeah, he said he wanted it to be perfect (or something similar, not a direct quote). Which is the same as saying it'll never happen.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:19 am
Cody wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am
Austin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 amThe problem is every time I think I "know" something, I read something new that sends me down the rabbit hole all over again :lol:
Yeah, he said he wanted it to be perfect (or something similar, not a direct quote). Which is the same as saying it'll never happen.
This man needs to know the fundamental rule of writing "I don't want it right, I want it Tuesday!"

Also, perfection negates the need for folk to buy the second edition.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Sounds like the games are going to run the way I suspected, with a big elimination stage up front as a kind of mini-regionals. But it's a little more complex. . .

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm

iamsmu wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm Sounds like the games are going to run the way I suspected, with a big elimination stage up front as a kind of mini-regionals. But it's a little more complex. . .

Does this effectively get more qualified people out of the talent pool and into the main events later in the year? It seems convoluted and like some of the top folks could get booted early by really botching an event or being unprepared for a wild one (another mountain bike session or something more-Fikowski/runner based). Meanwhile less elite folks might get through a few rounds but just get shut down when the "CF Open" workhorse workouts come out, like Murph, deadlift pyramids, peg boards, and all that.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:37 pm

Austin wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am Cholesterol is a sterol molecule that...
Reviving your post from 2018 to thank you again.

Not only for your original response, but also for the three-part article you wrote on cholesterol last year and for your just-released discussion of the new European guidelines regarding Lp(a).

I really appreciate what you're doing.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:16 am

asdf wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:37 pm
Austin wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am Cholesterol is a sterol molecule that...

Not only for your original response, but also for the three-part article you wrote on cholesterol last year and for your just-released discussion of the new European guidelines regarding Lp(a).

Seconded!

I just listened to that podcast on my drive yesterday along with the blood pressure discussions. Great stuff.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:08 am

asdf wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:37 pm

alek wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:16 am Seconded!

I just listened to that podcast on my drive yesterday along with the blood pressure discussions. Great stuff.
Awesome, glad you all found it helpful! Appreciate the feedback.