7mm Rehband, SBD or double/triple ply knee sleeves?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: 7mm Rehband, SBD or double/triple ply knee sleeves?

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am

Fuck Rehbands. SBD are much higher quality.

You're overseas, yeah? Here in 'Murica, we have Stoic brand (used to be Evolutionize) which is as good as SBD at half the price - you may consider checking your Amazon for them.

If by double/triple ply you mean the sleeves that are made out of wrap material like EliteFTS sells, they won't change your form any. Mostly because you can't get them tight enough to be like wraps - if you buy a pair too small, you just won't be able to put them on. They have more compression than neoprene for sure. They're also less comfortable, and triple ply might give you an extra 5 lbs own your squat. I used them for a bit when I wanted extra compression, but I don't care for them usually.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 am

Yeah, that's the sort of sleeves I was referencing from Elite. Again, they're okay, but I use them sparingly.

At those prices, you're probably best with the SBD.

OCG

Post by OCG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 am

Cody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am Fuck Rehbands. SBD are much higher quality.
Like all of them or just the newer one's that get thinner in the back? I've got a couple pair of old 7051's (blue line) or whatever and they're pretty solid. Fit wise? Eh could be better. But no problems with durability.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am

I've been using a pair of Rehbands for something like 3 years now. Very little upkeep, and no degradation that I've noticed. They might be looser, but over three years I haven't noticed the change?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 am

OCG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:11 am
Cody wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 am Fuck Rehbands. SBD are much higher quality.
Like all of them or just the newer one's that get thinner in the back? I've got a couple pair of old 7051's (blue line) or whatever and they're pretty solid. Fit wise? Eh could be better. But no problems with durability.
Yeah, fit on them is poo compared to SBD. And they stretch. Back when there weren't many options, Rehband was the best in the biz. Now that the market has expanded, there are just better options.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 am

I used the Rehband 7051 knee sleeves for over a year. Over the course of that year, they stretched out to the point that I would need to adjust them after every set. They are very good for keeping your knees warm though.

If you're in the market for sleeves that do a little bit more than keep your knees warm, I'd recommend another brand. My SBDs are painfully tight (I did size down), but my STrong sleeves are true to size and work great. Both pairs have stretched out over time.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 am

Nikipedia wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:20 am So they are the Maglite of sleeves? Thank you for your input, Cody. I'll look into the SBDs and if I can get a bargain.

Any other options or thoughts on going double or triple ply?
Get both? I have a pile of 8 or 10 pairs of knee sleeves, and a half dozen pairs of wraps.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm

I've never tried the double/triple ply sleeves, but I know those won't offer as much warmth but may give more support. I've used Rehbands and SBD's, and between the two the Rehbands aren't even close. I felt like my new SBD's did give me pop out of the hole, but that quickly went away as they stretched out a little bit. The Rehbands didn't offer anywhere near as much support.

I've noticed that a light wrap takes knee pain away (in my case patellar tendinitis). That could also be a pretty good option, and if you wrap them loose enough you only really have to take them off every other set or maybe every three sets.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:33 pm

I've only owned my SBDs for a few weeks and didnt size down much BUT I did size down on STrong Sleeves and Titan Yellow Jackets and both pairs lasted about 6 months of once a week use before the neoprene started shredding.

Hard to tell how tight the tighter size will be on you but just know if you get them too tight they will likely not last very long. SBD is great quality but Im sure the neoprene used in all 3 are similar.