Hi

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Mattjd

Hi

Post by Mattjd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi there

I hope everyone is using their old usernames.. or at least some kind of abbreviation.

ColoWayno

Re: Hi

Post by ColoWayno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm that guy named bob from Wisconsin, obvs.

Welcome!

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Mattjd wrote:Hi there

I hope everyone is using their old usernames.. or at least some kind of abbreviation.
I stole DR's username because he yoinked mikeylikey before I could register.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 pm

DirtyRed wrote:

well, I guess we can agree on a few things. Rush is awesome, rugby and professional wrestling sucks, and the, use of, commas...were they shouldnt exist is amzing. Especially when there used by a person who belongs to Coconut Island. That grammer nazi DR loves it.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 am

Mattjd wrote:
DirtyRed wrote:

well, I guess we can agree on a few things. Rush is awesome, rugby and professional wrestling sucks, and the, use of, commas...were they shouldnt exist is amzing. Especially when there used by a person who belongs to Coconut Island. That grammer nazi DR loves it.
COULD YOU AT LEAST USE A FUCKING APOSTROPHE?!

ETA: Hey, I can post in ALLCAPS here. CRUISE CONTROL ACTIVATED

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 am

Hey Matt. Good to see you. I second Wayno's welcome. I think DR brought cake (to his credit he always does), but if you want some you may get stuck talking with him. Beer's over there. A few people are upstairs hanging out in the kitchen. That's Wayno on the piano in the living room, I guess you already met him. Stoners are in the backyard. Some dudes and a few girls are lifting in the garage. Welcome!

I hope your studies are going well. Are you taking any cool classes this semester?

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am

Savs wrote:Hey Matt. Good to see you. I second Wayno's welcome. I think DR brought cake (to his credit he always does), but if you want some you may get stuck talking with him. Beer's over there. A few people are upstairs hanging out in the kitchen. That's Wayno on the piano in the living room, I guess you already met him. Stoners are in the backyard. Some dudes and a few girls are lifting in the garage. Welcome!

I hope your studies are going well. Are you taking any cool classes this semester?

Taking

1.) Signals and Systems - basically discrete and continuous signals and the various integral transofrms and how they're used, a math class if you will
2.) Intro to Imbedded Systems - programming microcontrollers in c with some economic aspects to account for
3.) Emags for Engineers - A watered down, more applied version of Electricity and Magnetism, I took the physics 300 level version last semester so this is cake
4.) Engineering Clinic - I chose machine learning, my heavy math background is helping me immensly. I took a Probably and Random variable class before, as well as discrete mathmatics and stats 1 and 2. Where I am struggling is the matlab programming.

Thats a total of 13 credits. Light semester. Sounds light, but machine learning is a lot. I want to carry this clinic through to graduation, so next semester and my entire senior year. I dont want a job in machine learning per say, but I just want a single project I can carry on for the rest of my undergrad that I know well. I know a few people that got jobs not even pertaining to their clincs but the jobs were impressed they carried on with it for so long and become an expert in it.

My university has a combat systems certificate that we can get. Pretty much gurantees a job at lockheed martin. I have a lot of open space due to having completed my gen eds at community college. I may go for it. I may not. Not sure what i want to do with my degree. If i stay in the north east, its a lot of embedded work. RF sounds interesting to me on paper too, but RF and electronics in general are hard to find anymore from what I hear. I do kinda wanna go for my masters but in math. Idk, its so hard to choose between practical and what I like. I still read math books more than anything.
Last edited by Mattjd on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

I hope everyone is using their old usernames.
Anything else we can do to make your life easier?

...fucking millennials.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Mattjd wrote:I hope everyone is using their old usernames.. or at least some kind of abbreviation.
Nah.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Mattjd wrote:c
I'm pretty sure Root and cwd have lots of experience using c. I plan on paying one or both of them to do my c homework.

Seriously though, just "overhearing" their random programming asides on the forums is useful. We need a programming thread.

Also: I'm only 3 weeks into learning c, so I should probably shut-up...but I'm surprised with how much I'm enjoying it.

Mattjd wrote: Where I am struggling is the matlab programming.
And this is where you have Gilchrest do your homework.

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Matt, you and Hanley are going to make some serious coin when your schooling is done. I can tell you that starting salaries for writing code here in Kendall Square are something like $150k /yr. Matt, go to Silicon Valley and the average salary for EEs is something like $250k. Has anyone seen what autonomous vehicle engineers are making? I think it's about a million dollars.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Mattjd wrote:Where I am struggling is the matlab programming.
Matlab is the easiest programming language. Fucking millennials!
AlanisHanley wrote:We need a programming thread.
Start one. How do you think your country got where it is now?
Also: I'm only 3 weeks into learning c, so I should probably shut-up...but I'm surprised with how much I'm enjoying it.
I had a C class in my 2nd semester and it was great. C is fun, and it's hard enough (it's not fucking Matlab - I love Matlab for mechanical engineering purposes, but it's a lazy programmer's language) for teaching purposes. I would send you my past exercises, but I don't know where they are and they are all in portuguese.

Also, Savs is right. There's lotsa money in those areas. If only I knew back then.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 pm

AlanisHanley wrote:And this is where you have Gilchrest do your homework.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Murelli wrote:How do you think your country got where it is now?
Genocide and enslavement.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:58 pm

AlanisHanley wrote:
By that logic you should kill everyone who doesn't program in C and enslave Root and cwd?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Murelli wrote:
AlanisHanley wrote:
By that logic you should kill everyone who doesn't program in C and enslave Root and cwd?
Can't. I'm an agent of Christ's love.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm

TimK wrote:Image
This is one of the best uses of this meme I've seen. It even rhymes with the original dialog.

Mattjd

Post by Mattjd » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:30 pm

AlanisHanley wrote:
Mattjd wrote:c
I'm pretty sure Root and cwd have lots of experience using c. I plan on paying one or both of them to do my c homework.

Seriously though, just "overhearing" their random programming asides on the forums is useful. We need a programming thread.

Mattjd wrote: Where I am struggling is the matlab programming.
And this is where you have Gilchrest do your homework.

I'll keep this in mind. My c programming will involve programing Texas instruments msp430 line of microcontrollers. From what I hear this is very useful as is hdl for fpga in some cases. Mainly because in many applications an ASIC costs too much. Meaning for the volume of which the circuit would need to be produced, economies of scale would not take into effect. So for something in 10s or 100s of thousands, think like appliances and missiles, a mcu or fpga is cheaper than paying someone to design an ASIC then going to a manufacturer to fabricate it and shit.

A cell phone, like the iPhone, of course would use an ASIC because they're making millions of units. So the economies of scale takes place in the manufacturing section

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 pm

mikeylikey wrote:This is one of the best uses of this meme I've seen. It even rhymes with the original dialog.
Thank you. Every once in a while, I accomplish something truly noteworthy.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 am

TimK wrote:
mikeylikey wrote:This is one of the best uses of this meme I've seen. It even rhymes with the original dialog.
Thank you. Every once in a while, I accomplish something truly noteworthy.
When is a good time to reference Jurassic Park?

Always. Always be referencing Jurassic Park.