Leucine vs Total Protein

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Paul

Leucine vs Total Protein

Post by Paul » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Following some of the BBM stuff, it seems that total leucine per meal is more important than total protein.

For example, gelatin is very low in leucine and is a terrible quality protein for feeding muscle growth, although there may be other benefits to consuming it.

Whey is very high in leucine and is considered by far the best protein for feeding muscle growth.

Jordan Feigenbaum has thrown around a 3-4g leucine per feeding figure, required to maximize muscle protein synthesis, beyond which no further MPS will be stimulated. I have been basing my meals around this concept.

In the case of a "normal" diet, focused on high quality (high leucine) protein sources, the 1 gram per pound bodyweight seems to be a great recommendation.

With a very low calorie diet, such as a Protein Sparing Modified Fast or Rapid Fat Loss protocol, you're not getting all the trace proteins accounted for in a "normal" diet. (Ex. From oats or legumes)

Would this mean that total protein intake could be much lower as long as each meal contains 3-4g of leucine?

Anything else to add or discuss about leucine or related topics is more than welcome as well.

klocness

Re: Leucine vs Total Protein

Post by klocness » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

This is an interesting article by Jorn Trommelen on Stronger by Science: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athle ... in-intake/

There's a section about leucine and total protein intake, which says:
...supplementing leucine may be more beneficial than simply trying to eat more protein.
Based on this, 20g of protein per meal (3-4 times per day) plus supplementing 5g of leucine might be an effective approach to stimulating MPS while on low calorie diet.

There's also this article about whether you really need 1g protein per pound of body weight: https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of ... ybuilders/

It says 0.82g/lb and maybe even 0.64g/lb could be enough.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 am

Why was it Jordan stopped recommending BCAAs?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:32 am

Greek yogurt is also high in leucine.
And yes, the recommendations of about 30 grams protein per meal are based on that being enough to get the leucine needed for food induced MPS.

klocness

Post by klocness » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:04 am

convergentsum wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 am Why was it Jordan stopped recommending BCAAs?
Here's his explanation from 2017:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:35 am

klocness wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm This is an interesting article by Jorn Trommelen on Stronger by Science: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athle ... ein-intake
BRB, looking at leucine supplements...
Seriously though, interesting stuff. I'm definitely going to consider some of this in my diet.
I'm going to read through these a few times in case I missed something, but I wonder what the minimum protein requirement is with leucine supplementation.