Stranger Than Fiction

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

omaniphil

Re: Stranger Than Fiction

Post by omaniphil » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019/02 ... 4244/?sl=2

They've already made it hard to get access to real sudafed, don't take imodium away from me!

Also, I get blocked up for days taking 1-2 doses of imodium - I can't even imagine taking 50-100.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm

omaniphil wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 am https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2019/02 ... 4244/?sl=2

They've already made it hard to get access to real sudafed, don't take imodium away from me!

Also, I get blocked up for days taking 1-2 doses of imodium - I can't even imagine taking 50-100.
Legalize pot and mushrooms, ban Imodium. Two steps forward, one step back.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 am

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 am

Doing my research on gender issues to form a better opinion on things....First I've heard of this.

https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/david-reim ... njoan-case

GooooooooooOOOOO science !

after the one twin brother had his penis chopped off, and was taking female hormones, and etc....
During the twin’s psychiatric visits with Money, and as part of his research, Reimer and his twin brother were directed to inspect one another’s genitals and engage in behavior resembling sexual intercourse. Reimer claimed that much of Money’s treatment involved the forced reenactment of sexual positions and motions with his brother. In some exercises, the brothers rehearsed missionary positions with thrusting motions, which Money justified as the rehearsal of healthy childhood sexual exploration.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am

Wait, wasn’t that a Law & Order episode???

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:28 am

alek wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am Wait, wasn’t that a Law & Order episode???
from the article wrote:Reimer also became somewhat iconic in popular culture, being directly referenced or alluded to in the television shows Chicago Hope, Law & Order, and Mental.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 am

It's a good book. Super depressing. That creep had the siblings simulating sex and doing all sorts of strange shit.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

broseph wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:28 am
alek wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am Wait, wasn’t that a Law & Order episode???
from the article wrote:Reimer also became somewhat iconic in popular culture, being directly referenced or alluded to in the television shows Chicago Hope, Law & Order, and Mental.
You mean I supposed to read the article before trying to make a funny quip? #fail

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 am

Poor bastard just wanted to bum some quarters.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 am

He killed it with his bare hands! It was an 80 pound juvenile. So I'm still not sure if I'd fight the wolf or the full grown mountain lion. I have a feeling that one of those body builder chimps could kill either. I don't know. Wolfs and Chimps probably don't ever cross paths. But my Indian friends tell me that monkeys and dogs are mortal enemies.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/14/travis-ka ... are-hands/
He said he tried to scare off the animal by putting up his arms and screaming at it, but the mountain lion charged at him and pounced.

The big cat, which weighed about 80 pounds, sunk a tooth into his wrist and another into his thumb. It then scratched his back with its front claws and gouged his thighs with his hind legs.

As he struggled with the animal, they both tumbled off the trail.

“But during that fall, the cat ended up on its back and it still had my wrist this whole time in its mouth,” Kauffman told the radio station.

He was able to pin the animal’s hind legs down with his body, then he picked up a rock and started hitting the cat in the head.

Eventually, Kauffman decided his best plan of attack was to strangle the cat.

“I got my right foot onto its neck,” he said. “And then I was able to get some weight onto its windpipe and that’s what eventually suffocated it.”

The fight lasted only about 10 minutes, he told the radio station, but it was long enough for Kauffman to fear for his life.

“One of the thoughts that I was having was like, ‘Well this would be a pretty crappy way to die,'” he said.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:41 am

"the fight lasted only about 10 minutes"

Calling bullshit on that, maybe it felt like 10 minutes but I'd bet everything on it being more like 2-3. The initial struggle up until he got his foot on its throat was probably much less than a minute.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:02 am

Good point. Is anyone in good enough shape to wrestle an 80 pound cat for 10 minutes! After about 2 minutes, I'd probably be so tired that I'd just roll over and let it bite my neck.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 am

There was probably something 'wrong' with that mountain lion.

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 am There was probably something 'wrong' with that mountain lion.
Poor victim selection, if nothing else.

Smart predators do not attempt to prey on other predators twice their size, unless they have the advantage of surprise.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am

Kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.cb ... -case/amp/

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:43 am

Stenson wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am Kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.cb ... -case/amp/
its sort of a little funny to me how that article, and most other's i have just read, word this story.
Even the recent articles that have been published over the last few hours.

"This is MAGA country!" was yelled during the attack.
..or something something "N*gg**".
Detectives tracked them down through surveillance cameras in the Streeterville area, where Smollett says two men shouted racial and homophobic slurs at him late last month, hit him and wrapped a rope around his neck while yelling, “This is MAGA country!”

Smollett, in his first TV interview Thursday, said he believes the two people captured by those cameras are his attackers. “’Cause … I was there,” he told “Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts. “I don’t have any doubt in my mind that that’s them. Never did.”
The two suspects are black....
ok, I could see the N-word & F*gg*t thing coming from the two, different context (not necc a racist thing, [/quagmire] ).
But the "this is MAGA country" thing? that sounds pretty hokey to me.

Trump has a much broader 'constituency base' than people give him credit for I guess

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--------------------------------------------
a different article:
The police statement adds a twist in the narrative of the reported attack on Smollett on 29 January. The statement came only a day after the actor and R&B singer had given his first detailed account to ABC News in which he said he had been set upon by two white assailants hurling racial and homophobic insults at him and slinging a noose around his neck.
Smollett’s account of events has been challenged by doubters on social media who have questioned why he initially resisted handing over his cell phone to police and why later he gave them only a heavily redacted record of his calls around the time of the incident. The actor defended himself on ABC News, saying he had been hesitant because he wanted to protect the privacy of his partner, family and fellow Empire cast members.

“It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot more,” he said.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Honestly I think he made the whole thing up. I believed it at first but his story is unraveling...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Stenson wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 pm Honestly I think he made the whole thing up. I believed it at first but his story is unraveling...
probably deserves its own thread.
it'll be interesting to see the whole thing play out.

I've heard reports of:
- the rope was a small string
- he just got into a fight earlier with his BF, and got punched in the face at a club or something (prior to the "assault" )
- one of the first things he told/asked the cops was to turn off their body cams
- wouldn't give ALL of his phone data over to detectives; (only 'gave' partial phone data)
- just ate at subway, but was still eating it when talking to the police or something ....the sandwich somehow survived this whole ordeal?
- "MAGA Country" is a nicer part of Chicago???
- supposedly had a broken rib from the attack; later 'downgraded' to bruised rib; day after attack was performing at a concert, dancing, gyrating torso, etc
-

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 am

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/washte ... r-accident

Powerlifter lifts Jeep off a guy after an accident. Right guy, in the right place, at the right time!