Cold smoke

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Corrie

Cold smoke

Post by Corrie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:02 am

Anyone every use a cold smoke gun before? You see them a lot on those cooking shows like Masterchef and I made one out of a USB vacuum and a bowl from a bong this summer. It's surprisingly good. Takes a cheap cheese and makes it taste great for example.

I'm going to buy this one next time it goes on sale. I'm wondering though, am I just turning my food into carcinogen laced junk? Surely it can't be worse than actually cooking with a smoker.

omaniphil

Re: Cold smoke

Post by omaniphil » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am

Ooh, that's a great idea. I've wanted to smoke salmon for a long time, but my regular smoker would be way too hot for that. Mind sharing more details on how you constructed and use the home made one?

Corrie

Re: Cold smoke

Post by Corrie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

omaniphil wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am Ooh, that's a great idea. I've wanted to smoke salmon for a long time, but my regular smoker would be way too hot for that. Mind sharing more details on how you constructed and use the home made one?
Sure, I will mention I wasn't totally satisfied with it so if you think it's something you'd like it might be worth just going for the real deal from amazon. The resin and soot from the burning wood gummed mine up pretty fast which is why I want to buy the Breville one.

Anyways all you do is take a USB vacuum and find yourself a pipe/bong bowl that you can attach to the sucking end. Then you attach a tube to the blowing end and put that in your smoke receptacle. Put your wood chips in the bowl, turn on the vacuum and light it like you would a pipe. It will suck the smoke in and out the exhaust tube.

I followed a guide on youtube. This should be the one