Deadlift Technique advice

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

JaJL

Deadlift Technique advice

Post by JaJL » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 pm

So I took a video of a heavy single from today and, while the angle probably isn't the best, I noticed that it looks like I am "kicking" the bar forward at the start of the pull. Anyone have advice on why I am doing that/ how to fix it?
Thanks!

JaJL

Re: Deadlift Technique advice

Post by JaJL » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:02 pm

and I realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum :o is there a way for me to move it?

ohlol

Post by ohlol » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Don't jerk the bar and push your feet into the floor. You're trying to pull it up which is how SS teaches and it's totally wrong.

Also rotate your camera 90 degrees. Portrait mode sucks

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 pm

JaJL wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:02 pm and I realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum :o is there a way for me to move it?
Good catch.

Use the report button, the exclamation mark at the top right of your post, select the appropriate category in the drop down menu (i think either the 3rd or 4th option will be fine) and request the mods move it to the technique/form check forum.

Actually, i don't think the report button appears on your own posts.
I'll go ahead and make the request.

As for the deadlift, i see you take the slack out of your arms fairly well, but then at the last moment you have some elbow bend and then you pull.

The goal as i understand it, is to take all the slack out of the system before you pull.
Arms, shoulders, and the bar plate connection as well. Actually pull the bar itself up.
It will bend before you start your actual pull if you do this right.
Lats tight too, pulling the bar back into yourself.

There is a sitting back into it that seems to work for me.
On lighter reps the bar will really want to leave the floor before i begin the actual pull.

There is a significant gap between the bar and your legs when you get right above your knees too.
The makes the pull effectively heavier, since the weight is more out in front of you.
Drag the bar up your legs, and pull it back into yourself as you are bringing your hips through.

You pull more than i do, and as you work these things out, you'll only do better.

JaJL

Post by JaJL » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 am

@Wilhelm , @ohlol; thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 am

@JaJL, first and foremost, that’s a strong pull.

The guys above have it correct.

Watch the video:

You’ll see your elbows bend, hips and knees move in two dimensions, and the position of your shoulder relative to the bar change.

When you start with a “dynamic” motion like that, your body is going to push the bar forward a bit and then when it leaves the ground is has to correct itself.

There are two fairly safe paths to go down from here:

-get into position and really work at “exploding slowly” from the setup with little deviation from when the bar is completely at rest to when you start to break it from the floor.

-clean up the dynamic start a bit and control it. A good example is Doyle Kenady deadlifts.

Regardless, the main concern is to get that quick movement of extension-flexion-extension out of the elbows.