Off Balance on High Bar Squats

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

damufunman

Off Balance on High Bar Squats

Post by damufunman » Fri May 10, 2019 4:31 am

Usually my squats are pretty solid, but lately (possibly since I finished my weight loss and started squatting heavier again) I've been getting off balance forward while High Bar Squatting (and a bit on Front Squats as well). Any obvious issues with the set below? This was supposed to be x4 @9 (325 lbs), so higher RPE sets so far have been the worst. x1@8 was fine. Thanks!

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Re: Off Balance on High Bar Squats

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:52 am

How much did you lose?

EDIT: Looking back through your log a bit I wonder if the Lever Squats are throwing you off just a bit when the High-Bar gets heavy enough?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:52 am How much did you lose?

EDIT: Looking back through your log a bit I wonder if the Lever Squats are throwing you off just a bit when the High-Bar gets heavy enough?
Roughly 20-25 lbs.
I've only done the belt squats for real once or twice, and have only been squatting heavy again for the past 5 weeks. For the belt squats thinking sitting back more (balance-wise in heels, still want to stay upright) or the opposite, keeping balance similar to squatting, ie midfoot?

I do believe this issue (forward balance) has been cropping up more lately, just haven't had enough weight on me to need to correct this bad until last week and again this week.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri May 10, 2019 5:52 am

How did the other reps feel (in your feet).
They looked ok from where I'm standing.

Your x1@8 went fine? and you just had problems with that 4th rep?

Idk, maybe you were just tired

-----------------------------

EDIT: seems like i can see you pushing your knees out in reps 2 and 3.
#4 they stay forward (in?), or better said: don't seem come out so much.

When I don't keep my knees out, everything shifts forward.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:02 am

damufunman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 am Roughly 20-25 lbs.
I've only done the belt squats for real once or twice, and have only been squatting heavy again for the past 5 weeks. For the belt squats thinking sitting back more (balance-wise in heels, still want to stay upright) or the opposite, keeping balance similar to squatting, ie midfoot?
That amount of weight loss would probably put me off for a bit, especially if there's that much less of you to "bounce off" at the bottom...for an easier transition I'd try to keep the balance as similar to squats as possible but there are / may be advantages to playing around with the sitting back aspect, sure...

I may have misread the last part of your paragraph, so let me know if my response made no sense.. :)

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri May 10, 2019 6:08 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:02 am
damufunman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 am Roughly 20-25 lbs.
That amount of weight loss would probably put me off for a bit, especially if there's that much less of you to "bounce off" at the bottom...for an easier transition I'd try to keep the balance as similar to squats as possible but there are / may be advantages to playing around with the sitting back aspect, sure...

I may have misread the last part of your paragraph, so let me know if my response made no sense.. :)
Nope, that was what I was saying.

Regarding the bouncing off myself - I noticed I do have a bit of that drop and rebound in the hole, and my body weight change might be affecting that. I think I need to control that better and get used to the slow movement again. Next week I start some tempo squats so I'll see if that helps. If not I might throw in paused squats next block.

Alternately, maybe it's just leg weakness? Though it seems more strictly balance related and not so much butt coming up to unload quads.