Hi Bar Squat form check please

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

augeleven

Hi Bar Squat form check please

Post by augeleven » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I switched to High Bar in September due to elbow issues. My form is in need of help.
I don't think my low bar was all that good either since I kept hitting a wall around 250, although I shelled out for some SSC time.

I see that my lumbar spine is all over the place. I do the whole take a deep breath and clench everything bit, but apparently it isn't working.
I'm sure there are other issues too. I would appreciate it greatly if anybody has advice.

Trigger Warning: Wedgie

[*]

BenM

Re: Hi Bar Squat form check please

Post by BenM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:58 am

I might be wrong but I think you might be letting the bar get forward on the way down and that’s why you’re not able to sit back enough without lumbar flexion?

I’m kinda still learning high bar myself (did sets of ten with them yesterday - ouch) but I have the same issue with my low bar squat - I find high bar a bit easier to keep the bar over mid foot because I’m more upright.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:46 am

Maybe try widening your stance slightly, and concentrating more on a vertical bar path?

Cues would be visualizing the bar moving straight up and down, or alternately focusing on keeping weight centered between toes and heels. Depends whether visualization or proprioception work better for you.

Warning: I'm not a coach.

jake

Post by jake » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 am

I agree with cwd. Try widening your stance a touch. You might have to point your toes out a bit more too but start with the stance and adjust toes as necesary afterward.

Also looks like you are initiating descent by breaking at the hips. Breaking at knees and hips simultaneously will help with bar path. Really though these aren't half bad.