what supps you take, bruh?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Culican

Re: what supps you take, bruh?

Post by Culican » Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 am

ithryn wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Melatonin or sometimes even Benadryl for sleep

... and yohimbine (up to 25 mg / day) and honestly noticed zero effect what. so. ever.

Half a tablet of Benadryl (12.5mg) and 1/4 of a 3mg melatonin tablet (0.75mg) at the same time is the ticket.

It seems that sensitivity to yohimbine varies widely, 2mg and I get chills and shakes and can't sleep for 8 hours.

psmith

Post by psmith » Sun May 06, 2018 7:30 am

Yeah, magnesium is one of my few old reliables. I like mag cit fizzy drinks before bed--some of it goes to your brain and helps you sleep, some of it stays in your gut and helps you poop the next morning. Seems to help a bit with soreness and hangovers too.

I'm also gonna throw in a plug for hydrolyzed collagen here. Also seems to help with sleep quality and helped a lot with some chronic injury pain. I've actually tried it before for different injuries and it didn't do anything for me then, but this time I noticed the effects pretty much right away. Not sure what to make of that--I wouldn't keep taking it on faith alone, but it might be worth a try, and if it works for you like it did for me you'll know.

(Or eat more pho and ask for extra tendon, maybe.).

ithryn

Post by ithryn » Sun May 06, 2018 12:32 pm

We give mag citrate to old people to clean em out for colonoscopies.

I'd eat pho every day, that's not a bad idea.

mbasic

Vitamin D thing

Post by mbasic » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Well, usually the vitamin D suppliments are poo-poo-ed on as shit you don't need, over sold, you get enough from food, bullshit....

...well TIL my wife is/was actually Vitamin D deficient. Twice. Two tests two different doctors.

Funny, we live in AZ....I forget, we have something like 400 days of sunshine a year on average or something like that.
She is a active runner, marathoner, trail hiker, etc. outside all the time.

Pretty healthy well rounded diet...

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 am

I feel like my biggest health boosts have come from NOT eating things, anti-supplements so to speak.

I.e. dropping my 1-2/day alcohol habit to 1-2/week, cutting back on caffeine, abstaining from snacks, etc.

Lately I'm experimenting with cutting back on fatty red meats in favor of more beans and fish. I sort of fell for the keto/paleo bullshit that saturated fat doesn't matter. The science pretty clearly says otherwise.

I ate grilled pork belly at a Korean BBQ place last night anyway though. I'm going to have to eat a lot of tofu, venison, and sardines to make up for that meal...

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Just creatine for me. I used to make basically my own version of "gainzzz Rx" using scivation xtend as the base but stopped and dint really notice anything different. It was delicious and somehow made going to the gym a little more fun though.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am

cwd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 am I feel like my biggest health boosts have come from NOT eating things, anti-supplements so to speak.

I.e. dropping my 1-2/day alcohol habit to 1-2/week, cutting back on caffeine, abstaining from snacks, etc.
I endorse this. For a while before about 6 weeks ago, I had been doing 1-2/day about 3-4x a week, and I definitely recall feeling bleh. I haven't had any since Lent started, and I'm feeling pretty alright.

Cutting down on caffeine is substantially harder for me. I've been drinking coffee *way* longer than I've been drinking alcohol.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:39 am

cwd wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 am I feel like my biggest health boosts have come from NOT eating things, anti-supplements so to speak.

Concur. The anabolic effects of not drinking 5-6 drinks a day, 4-5 days a week have counteracted the catabolic effects of cutting. @Hanley, this, more than anything else probably explains why my cut has been fairly successful so far.

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Agree with this. I've been cutting since January and I think one of the reasons I've been successful (down almost 30 lb) is the elimination of alcohol. It makes a huge difference. I've had a glass of wine here and there when going out to dinner with the wife and my sleep just doesn't feel the same.

MPhelps

Post by MPhelps » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Cutting out caffeine sucks way worse than quitting either alcohol or chewing tobacco for me. I felt flat for a month, just really bored with everything. Plus pooping in the morning wasn't as easy. In the long term, it's been really beneficial. I wake up with energy, I don't get tired after lunch, no crashes or really gross stomach aches, bad breath, Brown teeth, and morning poops are fine although maybe not quite as on time. I'm still irritable because life sucks, but it's not an up and down type thing. I'm definitely caffeine sensitive though. 3 cups of coffee will make me buzzy and causes my guts to churn.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Anyone try ephedrine? It is extremely cheap and easily available in Canada, and I was about to make a supplement order and I was considering whether to include it in the order.

I hear it is like a mild amphetamine and that it is synergistic with caffeine

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Fzt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm Anyone try ephedrine? It is extremely cheap and easily available in Canada, and I was about to make a supplement order and I was considering whether to include it in the order.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9614001665
https://www.drugs.com/compare/ephedrine ... oephedrine

Apparently ephedrine is a stronger, faster pseudoephedrine. Decongestant, stimulant, and for raising low blood pressure.

Not something I'd mess with as a pre-workout stimulant -- caffeine is plenty for me. I'd be really cautious if you have high blood pressure. I am not a doctor or a pharmacist.

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 am

Fzt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm Anyone try ephedrine? It is extremely cheap and easily available in Canada, and I was about to make a supplement order and I was considering whether to include it in the order.

In case you didn't end up ordering it, my experience is that it strongly adds to caffeines stimulant effect, increases focus and absolutely kills hunger for a few hours.

As for the "amphetamine" thing... when I first started taking it I accidentally overlapped 2 doses (forgot what time I took the first one). Driving to the store, I suddenly felt like I shouldn't be driving... I was way too focused. I would fixate on one thing instead of paying general attention to my surroundings.

That said, I'm sure I'm on the ADHD spectrum somewhere, and I'm prone to that kind of thing.

As long as you start small and use responsibly, it's pretty good IMO.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Ephedra will mess you up if you take too much (and this is very hard to determine until you take too much). The last time I took a stack containing ephedra, I ended up in the bathroom crying and shaking. I might have been laughing too. May not have been ephedra in retrospect but it did come from a "reputable" Indian pharmacy shipping out of/from Canadian website.

Fzt

Post by Fzt » Wed May 22, 2019 11:13 pm

@bobmen10000 my understanding is that ephedrine is the primary medically active compound in ephedra, which is an herbal extract. I think it is the fact that it is a plant extract with inconsistent ephedrine content that makes ephedra unsafe/unreliable.

The only reason I didn't get any was because the place I get my protein powder from was out of stock. I've heard that at the worst it is extremely good stuff if you have a cold and have to go to work.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu May 23, 2019 10:45 am

platypus wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 pmFiber gummies, because protein powder gives me the runs. The fiber gummies don't actually help, so I'm pretty much just finishing the can because they taste really good.
Try adding to your shakes to get the fiber and fats. Examples:

8 ounces of almond milk.
scoop of protein
tablespoon of peanut butter
1 cup of spinach

8 ounces of almond milk.
6 ounces of 2% yogurt
scoop of protein
tablespoon of peanut butter
1/2 cup or more of blueberries

*I blend these together in a ninja pro.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 pm

My supps, currently cutting hard:

Whey
as a meal replacement.

Leucine
3g before every meal. As per BBM, I always ensure 3-5g of leucine per meal. As per Stronger by Science, supplementing before a meal is more effective, and I can reduce total protein/calories.

HMB
Just started experimenting with this preworkout and pre bed.

Fish Oil
Only using because my intake is so low, as per Rapid Fat Loss recs for health/safety on extreme cuts.

Caffeine, creatine,
Obviously

Going to experiment with using BCAA as a meal replacement paired with leucine 15 mins beforehand for lowest possible calories.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnCPONcyLM&t=4790s podcast with Peter Fitschen, Eric Trexler, and Greg Nuckols where they talk about how disappointing all the HMB research has been, after the original too-good-to-be-true study that didn't replicate.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat May 25, 2019 11:15 am

cwd wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWnCPONcyLM&t=4790s podcast with Peter Fitschen, Eric Trexler, and Greg Nuckols where they talk about how disappointing all the HMB research has been, after the original too-good-to-be-true study that didn't replicate.
Thanks!
I've seen a lot of debunking on the "too good to be true" stuff, but I ordered the HMB after reading something about it being inferior to leucine for MPS, but several times more potent for preventing muscle protein breakdown. I can't remember where I read this now, of course, and I'm questioning my purchase...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat May 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Funny, iirc Jordan (despite the posts above) puts HMB in his PotionRx.

It used to NOT have it before (~year ago?), now I see that is does.