EAAs vs. Food

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

JonnyRockets

EAAs vs. Food

Post by JonnyRockets » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

Would a dose of essential amino acids (EAAs) provide the same protein and/or muscle protein synthesis (MPS) response as the equivalent dose of whey/food?

For example, is a 10g scoop of EAAs equal to a 30g scoop of whey in terms of MPS (or any other benefit of protein)?

In theory could one eat only carbohydrates and fats, and take a dose of EAAs 3-5 times a day and get the same outcome as someone consuming a diet containing similar doses of 'food protein'? Would there be any downsides to this? (Other than it being a miserable experience.)

Cellist

Re: EAAs vs. Food

Post by Cellist » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:05 am

Obviously food high in dietary protein has some good stuff a powder doesn’t, but in some scenarios you could reduce it and not have to worry about getting enough MPS by taking EAAs.

JonnyRockets

Post by JonnyRockets » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:28 am

Cellist wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:05 am some good stuff
Vitamins and minerals?

Just so everyone knows, I’m not considering doing this...at all. I just want to know IF there is a nutritional difference. And especially as it relates to MPS.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am

Just off the top of my head number one is flavor and that could satisfy appetite. Another is that protein keeps me satisfied longer than carbs. So even if replacing protein with EAAs would help maintain muscle during a cut, I wouldn’t totally eliminate protein. OTOH it could make it easier to go more plant based.

I just got some yesterday to add to my workout drink.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:54 pm

I think it's all hand wavey bollocks tbh at our level. A chicken mayo sandwich with a milk whey shake suffices for me. Much like training, consistency is key.