Glycine supplementation?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Glycine supplementation?

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:58 am

I'm just curious if anyone is supplementing with glycine.

It's a conditionally essential amino acid, and is the most abundant amino in collagen.
Afaik, we can synthesize up to 3 grams daily, but the modern diet of lean meat leaves us short of what we need.

The main reason i'm starting supplementation is to boost collagen production.
I was getting ready to buy more gelatin anyway, and have decided to go this route instead.
It's more economical than buying collagen or gelatin, as is supposed to have a long list of other benefits.
I'll admit i haven't delved super deeply into any papers, and am taking the advice that we are short of this if we aren't doing things like bone broth or organ meats.

I need to get back to using canned salmon.
Wild caught with the skin and bones will help with the collagen shortfall.
I always used the skin and bones and just did scrambles with a couple of eggs and 4oz salmon.

Article on whey and collagen, with some info on glycine specifically -
Metabolizing muscle meat uses up glycine.
I don't eat a lot of meat, but i found this interesting.
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/collage ... FhekhXeiJ9

Culican

Re: Glycine supplementation?

Post by Culican » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:53 pm

The arbitrator of all things scientific disagrees over on another site.

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... issue.html

BTW, I tried gelatin when I had medial epicondylitis. Don't know if it helped because I tried about a dozen things all at once to cure it. It finally went away so it may have helped.
Last edited by Culican on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Culican wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:53 pm The arbitrator of all things scientific disagrees over on another site.

BTW, I tried gelatin when I had medial epicondylitis. Don't know if it helped because I tried about a dozen things all at once to cure it. It finally went away so it may have helped.
Me getting glycine isn't about tendon rehab.

Though i do think many people who try the protocol for rehab, maybe don't understand it's a long term process, with specific exercises.
Also, i didn't read that SS thread past the title.
My life is more enjoyable when i don't read stuff from there.

Culican

Post by Culican » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:06 pm
Culican wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:53 pm The arbitrator of all things scientific disagrees over on another site.

Me getting glycine isn't about tendon rehab.

Though i do think many people who try the protocol for rehab, maybe don't understand it's a long term process, with specific exercises.
Also, i didn't read that SS thread past the title.
My life is more enjoyable when i don't read stuff from there.
I've really limited my posting there since that thread. They basically ridicule anything that they haven't come up with. I even posted two of the papers that were cited in the article you posted.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm reading that glycine is more of a conditionally essential amino acid, in that we can only synthesize a small part of what we ideally need, and (for lack of a better term) the modern diet falls short in supplying the rest.

What meat we buy is boneless, and i'm not going to constantly buy bones and dedicate the time to make broth.
I get most of my protein from whey isolate, which has some glycine content, but not a great deal, so i'm looking at glycine powder as a more economical way to get it in me.

Multifarious Beneficial Effect of Nonessential Amino Acid, Glycine: A Review
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5350494/

I guess i'll read that now.

**Well, skim it anyway. :lol:
Culican wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:13 pm I've really limited my posting there since that thread. They basically ridicule anything that they haven't come up with. I even posted two of the papers that were cited in the article you posted.
My only exposure to that place is from links posted here, and i've never been able to read much at all before i start to feel... not good.