Alek’s Deadlift

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

alek

Alek’s Deadlift

Post by alek » Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback on some deadlifts.

First portion is a top single of 415@6; second portion is first of three triples at 370, which I rated @6 as well. Last portion is fourth set of four at 345, and I rated it @7.

A couple things:
1) I kick the bar forward on first reps. I had been setting up a bit too far away, and I’ve been crowding the bar at setup lately. I’ve watched some video at 1/4 speed, and it seems after the initial kick, there isn’t any forward movement when the bar starts to rise. Doesn’t seem to happen on subsequent reps.

2) These were after some squats, and I still had some lowback fatigue while doing these.

Thanks for taking a look!

OCG

Re: Alek’s Deadlift

Post by OCG » Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 pm

They aren't too bad, position looks pretty okay. Your main problem is you just setup and go. The moment your shins hit the bar you start pulling. You never stop moving. Spend some time down there pulling the slack out of the bar and getting some tension and tightness. Like, once you get down there and get your back into extension give it a good 3-5 count every rep. Don't be afraid of just spending some good time down in the bottom position getting a feel for things. Don't rush it.

alek

Post by alek » Mon May 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks, @OCG. I guess I just “grip it and rip it”.

•••

Here’s some snatch grip deadlifts from today. I tried to slow down, and I seemed to on a few reps. This is the first set of a 5x5 workout, and I rated it @6.

OCG

Post by OCG » Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 am

Try and get more time under tension at the bottom, "pulling the slack out of the bar". That 5 count should be after you set up and pull against the bar.

alek

Post by alek » Sun May 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Some SLDL from today. First set of 5 at 275.

They look more like my conventionsl deadlift than I thought they would.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:20 am

OCG wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 am Try and get more time under tension at the bottom, "pulling the slack out of the bar". That 5 count should be after you set up and pull against the bar.
I try to remember to also pull the slack out of my arms and shoulders at the same time.
That might seem an automatic result of pulling the slack from the bar, but for me it seemed to help to think of it "in addition to".
Lats still engaged, of course.
I heard a cue of long arms somewhere recently.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:56 pm

Good tips by everyone here, but I have two more things:
1) if the bar moves forward and stays there, maybe you're setting up with it behind midfoot. I'd move it a tad forward at setup and try it;
2) lock your knees earlier - sometimes the bar almost hits your knees on the way up. A mental cue that works for this is pushing the floor away