Deadlift tightness of lack therof

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

OCG

Deadlift tightness of lack therof

Post by OCG » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:39 am

So basically, I'm shit at setting up tight in the deadlift. Maybe I just need to sack up more and practice harder, I don't know. Anyone have any tips for setting up tight as a motherfucker off the floor? Any exercises, variant of partials you could recommend? I'm also shit at using my abs when I deadlift (no problems turning them on for squats and bench though). Related? Probably.

Most recent deadlifts:

More:

I got like, uhh, the last 5 years of deadlifts if anyone really wants to go back that far.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Deadlift tightness of lack therof

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 am

*dealing with limited bandwidth at the moment: I can only see frames of the videos*

Have you tried using a dynamic setup akin to Doyle Kennady?

OCG

Post by OCG » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:55 am

I have not, at least not recently. I'll try. Was also thinking about deliberately rounding and setting up tight in that position.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:07 am

The dynamic start allows you to have the lower back sorted out before the pull begins, but the rolling of the bar allows you to get some other stuff ready to pull, one of which is actively shoving the abs against the quads as you finalize the setup.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am

I mean... I dunno man I'm not exactly qualified to be opining on such matters but these all look fine to me.

I mean sometimes you could be just a little more patient and emphasize the "chest up" thing a little more, but other than that I don't see a ton of break down or anything. Could be that I'm biased because I'm used to looking at my own deadlifts, which are way uglier than these usually...

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 am

The bar speed seems really fast, are these really light for you?
I definitely can have a hard time getting tight with deadlift (especially the variants) when the weight feels light.
It's almost like the heaviness I feel as I start pulling the slack out of the bar reminds to get tighter.

ETA: oops, the first couple of sets in each vid are warmups, yeah?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:29 am

mouse wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am I mean... I dunno man I'm not exactly qualified to be opining on such matters but these all look fine to me.

I mean sometimes you could be just a little more patient and emphasize the "chest up" thing a little more, but other than that I don't see a ton of break down or anything. Could be that I'm biased because I'm used to looking at my own deadlifts, which are way uglier than these usually...
+1

- A Guy Whose Only Decent Lift is DL

KarlM

Post by KarlM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:30 am

@OCG, it looks to me like there may be room to get more breath into you and do a better job pulling the slack out of the bar prior to initiating the pull. I'm curious what others think about that assessment.

This previous thread may be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2413

OCG

Post by OCG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:03 pm

I did some more today, although all pretty light:

I came to the conclusion (with a little help) that I was blurring together all the steps of my deadlift together and never really getting still. Usually I set up pretty much using the "5 step" method and I realised I wasn't going through each step one at a time. I breathe and rock forwards and back and never really get a proper bottom position with fixed hips.

Still need to play around with when I'm breathing. Right now it's hands on bar, legs to bar/drop hips, breathe in, chest up, abs tight. Might try chest up, then breathe in.

Viola

Post by Viola » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Honestly these look too light to make a good judgement on your form. I have coached someone very tall who got better at getting his back into extension as the weight got heavier. The heavier weight forced him to slow down the set-up steps, and also allowed him to pull hard against the bar to set up his chest properly.