cgeorg

Re: Fix my poverty bench?

Post by cgeorg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

Last work set from today:

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:18 pm

cgeorg wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 am I ended up finding this on bulldog grip: https://stronglifts.com/bench-press/wrists/

Here's set 3 from yesterday, better angle to see grip and stuff.

I'd like to leave the chest stuff in because I want the hypertrophy either way, if it isn't negatively affecting things. I could add a bench slot Mondays but I already squat heavy, deadlift and press medium that day (as well as pressing heavy on Weds and seated DB OHP for volume on Fri... and my press hasn't moved in like 2 months... maybe I do need to just redo all of this press programming.) My priority for adding weight to the bar is Press at this point, I don't mind bench moving along more slowly for now. Getting the form cleaned up should get me some technique pounds though, and 49 useful bench reps a week should produce SOME gains right?
Yeah, 50 bench reps a week isn't high volume.

Form looks fine.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:48 am

25-40 BP reps per session (not including warm ups) is where most folks will need to be to drive up gains. Total pressing reps over the week should be no less than ~75 for a regular intermediate.

Day H:
5x5

Day L:
3x8

Day M:
5x5

74 total reps. Dropping a day to a 1x5 (TM) with no drop sets puts a lifter back around 50 reps a week (or less) which won’t drive the bench up optimally.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 am

In this 3 week cycle, I have 147 bench reps and 131 press reps, not including additional accessory work. I mean... I'm sorry this is just confusing to me when I can see Cody making progress at much heavier BW-relative weights, and a lot less volume than you guys are talking about.

Does DB bench count? I'll replace some tricep/chest stuff with that next cycle which will get me back over 75 bench-specific reps a week for bench only.

JohnHanleyFanAccount

Post by JohnHanleyFanAccount » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm

cgeorg wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 am In this 3 week cycle, I have 147 bench reps and 131 press reps, not including additional accessory work. I mean... I'm sorry this is just confusing to me when I can see Cody making progress at much heavier BW-relative weights, and a lot less volume than you guys are talking about.
This is an interesting question. I looked at his log and it seems he's been peaking recently, which may be a partial answer, but presumably you're asking about his longer term training too.

In any case I've always heard "volume drives the presses up" and "bench more to bench more" from Andy Baker, Greg Nuckols, Jordan Feigenbaum, and basically every lifting person I trust.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm

JohnHanleyFanAccount wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm
cgeorg wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 am In this 3 week cycle, I have 147 bench reps and 131 press reps, not including additional accessory work. I mean... I'm sorry this is just confusing to me when I can see Cody making progress at much heavier BW-relative weights, and a lot less volume than you guys are talking about.
This is an interesting question. I looked at his log and it seems he's been peaking recently, which may be a partial answer, but presumably you're asking about his longer term training too.

In any case I've always heard "volume drives the presses up" and "bench more to bench more" from Andy Baker, Greg Nuckols, Jordan Feigenbaum, and basically every lifting person I trust.
I dunno man, according to Pharaoh you just need to LP your way to a 300lb+ press. He doesn't even know why we have all these complicated programs using % and RPE...