Trying Sumo

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

anelson

Trying Sumo

Post by anelson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 am

So, I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time today. They felt really strange. I don't have any training-related reasons for doing them, but I feel like they carry over to real life a little better, as far as picking things up.

This is my 5th set of 3 at 185, which I guess to be somewhere between 60 and 70%:

I feel like most good sumo pullers I see start with their hips more open, and closer to the bar. I don't know if that's a form flaw or lack of hip mobility on my part, or just segment lengths and bone structure. Other than that, I really don't even know what to look for.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Trying Sumo

Post by mgil » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am

Like anyone that pulls sumo after only doing conventional, you've got work to do. It's not trivial.

3 things I'd say to focus on:

-You already know about the hips.

-Once you get into your setup, you'll want to maintain your back angle. My best cue (for myself) is to drive the shoulders up and back.

-Finally, work on pulling from the floor slowly and then accelerating into lockout. That should help also.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I think Bryce is really good on this one:

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I want to give you two examples.

How not to setup (Probably one of my worst pull in awhile.):

How to setup (especially reps 2 & 3):

Notice how I'm jamming my hips into the bar and pulling out all the slack before starting the lift. This was after cueing from @Testiclaw. Working on this is my ongoing struggle with sumo.