Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Manveer
M3N4C3

Re: Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

Post by Manveer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Met a guy at my gym last week who said he went to the local SS gym, but it was way too expensive. So he came to our gym, which is way better and much cheaper. He’s running SSNLP. I just told him not to worry too much about “milking LP”, and to talk to other people in the gym rather than just listening to Rip.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Manveer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm Met a guy at my gym last week who said he went to the local SS gym, but it was way too expensive. So he came to our gym, which is way better and much cheaper. He’s running SSNLP. I just told him not to worry too much about “milking LP”, and to talk to other people in the gym rather than just listening to Rip.
Another impressionable new deciple led astray from the one true path by the agents of darkness. For shame.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 am

TimK wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 pm
Manveer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm Met a guy at my gym last week who said he went to the local SS gym, but it was way too expensive. So he came to our gym, which is way better and much cheaper. He’s running SSNLP. I just told him not to worry too much about “milking LP”, and to talk to other people in the gym rather than just listening to Rip.
Another impressionable new deciple led astray from the one true path by the agents of darkness. For shame.
I overheard someone else talking to him last night, telling him that there’s a lot of other equipment in the gym besides the squat racks, benches, and deadlift platforms. Maybe he’ll get it after he spends enough time in the gym.

Savs
Dream Weaver

Post by Savs » Wed May 29, 2019 8:25 am

Manveer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 am
TimK wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 pm
I overheard someone else talking to him last night, telling him that there’s a lot of other equipment in the gym besides the squat racks, benches, and deadlift platforms. Maybe he’ll get it after he spends enough time in the gym.
Yup, that dude is lost forever, I'm afraid. There are just too many temptations in the world. Somebody in the church should have warned him.

Also, I knew Manveer was the devil. Kids, " Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."

Rasmusb

Post by Rasmusb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:38 am

Personal training in China.

This PT does this with ALL of his female clients. Although it isn't an uncommon sight around here it gets my blood boiling everytime I see it. He had another female client immediately after this one, so they apparently like it...

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Pulling off some thread necro here for one of the most bizarre things that has ever happened to me at the gym. I had deadlifts today and had just finished a warm up set of 315x5, had loaded the next set, and was taking a quick minute rest. I was sitting on my normal plyo box, listening to music, and screwing off on my phone when I noticed some random dude coming up obviously trying to get my attention. I figured he was going to ask about using the platform or rack.

That was not what he wanted.

I took off my headphones and the guy unloads on me about how I'm dropping my deadlifts and there is a sign on the wall saying that is forbidden. I don't drop my pulls. Ever. I do use deep dish Ivanko plates which can be load when they come down and I sometimes, especially on warm ups, I am trying to focus on bar speed and it can be a little loud. Over the last 3.5 years I've been at this gym I have had 2 or 3 occasions someone said something about the noise and I try to be accommodating. This guy wanted to make sure that I understood that I WAS WRONG.

When I explained that "dropping" a bar requires actually taking your hands off the bar, he started to get really upset. He decided to elevate the situation by saying that I, "needed to stop all this stuff and obviously don't know how to train properly. I mean, look at me and look at you." I couldn't help myself and I burst out laughing in his face. The guy has arms and absolutely leaner than I am. Trust me, I know that I have a power belly and my body fat is too close to 25%. I also don't particularly care right now, but the idea that this guy, who I have never once seen touch a barbell, thinks that he's going to body shame me into seeing his point was just hilarious.

Going by his reaction, he was not expecting me to laugh at him. He went full on profanity laced rage yelling at me about how I didn't know what I was doing and we being a fucking asshole. I tried to deescalate everything by saying we could go talk to the manager if he felt this strongly about everything which didn't help. He yelled about not needing to hide behind someone else and how he could take care of things on his own. I tried to tell him to calm down which was met with him screaming that if I took another step toward him he was going to take a swing. I hadn't moved at all and told him as much and then told him we were done with the discussion and he should leave.

He started to go, but then remembered he had to school me and yelled that, "And you shouldn't ever deadlift because your spine..." I laughed again and just told him to have a good day. He actually came back with "YOU TOO." One of my gym crew was in there at the same time and she reported the guy's actions as creating an unsafe environment. Best part is that there is a camera that has a full view of the weight room, so it is all on tape.

Several week ago someone had written on the white board (I saved the pic on my phone and am too lazy to upload it somewhere),
You have to resist gravity to gain muscle!
Always have protein shakes before AND after training
Practice Weider principles;
Isotension, drop pyramiding, muscle confusion
Use proper weight for strict and correct form.
At the time I thought it was someone goofing off. I know exactly who wrote that now.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:34 pm

You shoulda reported him but it's even better that someone else did.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:35 pm

LOL, "Weider Principles"

cole

Post by cole » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:37 pm

damn, sounds like you did the right thing @Mkgillman by keeping cool. i guess i would have just walked away right when he started yelling. but somewhere deep down a part of me would want to kick his knee from the side and hear it go "crack"

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm

I don't understand what prompts people to do crap like that. I spent 12 years in commercial gyms, met some real morons, but never encountered someone flying off the handle.

Hopefully he gets his membership voided. Definitely should have reported him yourself.

Did you ask him how much he benched in high school?

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Damn, that reminds me of when I had some shit-tier 74-83kg powerlifter come to.the commercial gym I was working at at the time and try to fight me because I had used a power rack to bench after my squats, while he had to let some guy work in with him for squats on his power rack. He completely refused any explanation that the gym bench stations had hooks way too low for me to unrack without getting a hand-off for even my warm up sets, but my coward manager let him stay even after the guy tried to come at me with "we should step outside."

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 am

These are .... some of the better gym stories I've ever heard. Brings tears to my eyes.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:17 pm the guy tried to come at me with "we should step outside."
"I'll meet you out there in 20 minutes, ya l'ittle b*tch. Yorkie?"

Then finish lifting and go home.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:00 am

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm I don't understand what prompts people to do crap like that.
The chronic use of __________ includes increased likelihood of psychiatric complications such as labile mood, lack of impulse control and aggression.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:00 am
murphyreedus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm I don't understand what prompts people to do crap like that.
The chronic use of __________ includes increased likelihood of psychiatric complications such as labile mood, lack of impulse control and aggression.
Snatch grip deadlifts?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:23 am

Insecurity. They see someone significantly outperform them in the gym and they get their little man ego bruised. I have had several men approach me over the years in the gym to 'confront' me on my lifting. I have never had a woman do so. Dammit, I must be putting out the wrong vibe. Should I not squat in a man thong?

And since it couldn't be you are outperforming them because you train harder and smarter than they do...oh no, couldn't be that. They come over to let you know you are doing it wrong.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:49 am

aurelius wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:23 am
Insecurity. They see someone significantly outperform them in the gym and they get their little man ego bruised. I have had several men approach me over the years in the gym to 'confront' me on my lifting. I have never had a woman do so. Dammit, I must be putting out the wrong vibe. Should I not squat in a man thong?

And since it couldn't be you are outperforming them because you train harder and smarter than they do...oh no, couldn't be that. They come over to let you know you are doing it wrong.
Maybe I just look better in a thong than you do.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 am
Hanley wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:00 am
Snatch grip deadlifts?
Passive Voice?

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:53 am

This happened to a guy I know in Raleigh while he was deadlifting. Evan is a really nice guy too, and super strong. Guy got mad at him for using chalk.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 am

LexAnderson wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:53 am This happened to a guy I know in Raleigh while he was deadlifting. Evan is a really nice guy too, and super strong. Guy got mad at him for using chalk.

That's funny. That guy is up to a fuckton of plates already.
There is barely any excess/unwarranted chalk residue to be seen.
His black shorts, black platform, his hands, plates, etc etc
What's on the bar is minimal.

Then again, that visor-guy is still the asshole ... but you gotta a question lifting at a gym that
has a super nice (rubberized) deadlifting platform like that with "No Chalk - DO NOT DROP WEIGHTS"
stenciled right on it .... all around the perimeter-frame.

what's the end story here?
that is incredible

----------------------------------------------

do any of you think this is road-rage psychosis related?

Today was one of my first encounters in a long time with any kinda of roid-thing.
Two gymbros, (20-25 y.o.?) somewhat-kinda-jacked-not-real-big walk into the lock room.
Apparently, they both work at One Stop Nutrition (a supplement/vitamin store franchise thing here in AZ).
They were both wearing their OneStop T-shirts, lamenting about work stuff, sales, hours, etc.
...one was a store manager apparently.

The one guy goes, "yeah that Chandler store's foot traffic is dead, but over at the Tempe Store (by ASU), I can sell those college kids gear all day ..."
(I don't think he was talking 3 ply squat suits, and knee wraps)

I was kinda taken back by that.
Last edited by mbasic on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.