Started a business. Don't want your money. Just Sharing :)

Offering services? Make a post. Be clear and concise.

The administrators and moderators make no money from services offered here.

No warranties or guarantees made nor implied.

Moderators: mgil, Chebass88

dcw

Re: Started a business. Don't want your money. Just Sharing :)

Post by dcw » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 pm I'd missed this, I hope it's going well, Dexter.
Thanks my dude! The first year was much more productive than I expected, and it's been a fun little project. Growth is pretty slow, but I like it that way. When personal training was my only career, it took me about two years to get to a full schedule, and it was through word of mouth only. I think that kept client retention high. All of my business thus far has been in-person training (what I enjoy the most) and a handful of custom programs. The online stuff (remote coaching, templates, etc..) will come if I ever dedicate some time to putting work into it, lol. I work a lot of OT as it is, so i'm making myself only work on the business if "it's fun". It's already profitable even in its infancy, so I call that a win.

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 pm There's likes and then there's engagement. Instant attention vs slow burn.

If you actually want to train people - as opposed to writing books, doing seminars, endorsements and the like - I think the slow burn works better. It's much less money though.
This is a great point. I've found that I don't particularly enjoy the online content production much, and couldn't care less about likes, BUT it's really cool when someone sends a PM asking advice or saying that the info helped their training in some way.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 pm

I wonder if you could get FLETC to recognize courses or educational materials as CEUs, especially since you ground your stuff in federal gov't recs from Health and Human Services. Producing that and keeping it up to date, training departments in it is much more full-time than you'd want to mess with while doing all your crazy shifts and interrupted sleep, man!

dcw

Post by dcw » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:12 am

OrderInChaos wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 pm I wonder if you could get FLETC to recognize courses or educational materials as CEUs, especially since you ground your stuff in federal gov't recs from Health and Human Services. Producing that and keeping it up to date, training departments in it is much more full-time than you'd want to mess with while doing all your crazy shifts and interrupted sleep, man!
Luckily for me (but not really for the overall quality of cert holders), the LE Fitness Coordinator program requires no formal upkeep. Once you go through the program, you're "good" (this is in contrast to other psychomotor instructor programs like control tactics or firearms). The program is more in-depth than your run of the mill weekend Personal Training Certification, but it's not really comprehensive enough to be meaningful for being an effective practitioner. From what I gathered it's mostly just a "checked box". The federal LE agencies have to have someone with the certification at their respective field offices to run the PEB, and the only reason my department coughed up the money to send me was because we have to have someone certified to keep our department's CALEA accreditation. Most of the folks in my LEFCTP class weren't sworn personnel with backgrounds in fitness; they were simply the most in-shape employee at their particular office and were told they were going. There were a few in my class who didn't do any type of exercise at all; I guess they just drew the short straw. That being said, the program was one of the best i've seen. Eight full days, with about half of that "lab time", in the gym actually training alongside the instructors, who were competent. The lecture material was good too, for an "entry level" type of program.

Before I was hired on with my department, there was actually a full time sworn Fitness Coordinator position. I would LOVE to have that job. We have just under 300 sworn personnel, so there's plenty of work that could be done to improve "mission readiness" department-wide. We actually had an annual fitness test back then too. All of that disappeared when our current administration came online. Now, we have a significantly undertrained, overweight, and out of shape department, and it's just a matter of time before it bites us bad (even ignoring the current level of "on duty injuries" and lost time due to "sickness', the majority of both being related to poor lifestyle). Oh well, in the meantime I'll just keep doing police work, helping out the handful of folks on the department that want to get better on my own time, and training everyone else through the side hustle. Influencing change on the department one person at a time is better than nothing.