Specific Deadlift Concern

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

damufunman

Re: Specific Deadlift Concern

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 pm

@chromoly For a while I was dragging up my legs, as evidence by having scrapes (cuts? how are these categorized?) if I didn't wear tall socks. I think lately I've been doing it less, just due to trying not to tear up my legs from all the pulling I've been doing.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

chromoly wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 am Am I the only one here who does actively try to drag the bar up their legs?!?

One of the ways* I'll lose a limit deadlift is if I let it get away from my legs, especially an inch or two off of the floor.

* just about the only way, unless I round my back, but for the sake of this conversation, let's keep it to flat-back pulling**
** the other way is that I'm just not strong enough to get it past the weak point just off the floor
My pulls feel way stronger when they stay in contact with my legs the whole time. It also helps my keep my back extensors and lats tighter to cue pulling back rather than up, which necessarily pulls the bar against my legs.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

damufunman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:00 pm @chromoly For a while I was dragging up my legs, as evidence by having scrapes (cuts? how are these categorized?) if I didn't wear tall socks. I think lately I've been doing it less, just due to trying not to tear up my legs from all the pulling I've been doing.
@damufunman Sometimes I get some bruises on my shins, but no scrapes or cuts (except when using a power bar and wearing shorts, then I get scrapes on my inner thighs at lockout). This happens mostly when I start with the bar too far away, then it swings in toward my legs as it breaks the floor and I get a nice bruise. Would need to see a video of your deadlift to see if there's something in particular that would cause getting cut up legs. Although it could just be that your stance is wider than mine and legs touch the knurling...?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 pm

I do not touch the bar with my legs.

AaronM
Pheasant

Re:

Post by AaronM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:09 pm I do not touch the bar with my legs.
NDTP

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 pm

chromoly wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm
@damufunman Sometimes I get some bruises on my shins, but no scrapes or cuts (except when using a power bar and wearing shorts, then I get scrapes on my inner thighs at lockout). This happens mostly when I start with the bar too far away, then it swings in toward my legs as it breaks the floor and I get a nice bruise. Would need to see a video of your deadlift to see if there's something in particular that would cause getting cut up legs. Although it could just be that your stance is wider than mine and legs touch the knurling...?
Yeah, its the knurling hitting my shins. Knees out puts me just off the smooth. It's really bad with snatches, possibly why all of my misses are forward...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 pm

I often bruise my legs just above my knees when i set the bar down. Mostly my right leg it seems.
I know turning your knees out before setting the bar down can help prevent this, but i am currently too absorbed with how heavy (for me) this shit is, that i never have time to do that.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 pm I often bruise my legs just above my knees when i set the bar down. Mostly my right leg it seems.
Left knee for me. My sweats all have a big hole in that spot.