Mini-Bulks and Cardio:Math/Procedure?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Inverstone

Mini-Bulks and Cardio:Math/Procedure?

Post by Inverstone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Stupid Question time: How to make the extra "free food" work for me?

I'm pretty well read on evidence/research based lifting/fitness, but, I have a stupid question that I've never fully understood and have seen EXPLICITLY explained...links or help would be welcomed.

If one does a mini-bulk (200-300 cal. over maintenance) getting extra nutrients into them, and does cardio (or lifting) to burn off 1. Some in a mini-bulk. 2. All of the extra calories
in a cut, is there a time "window"?:

Do we simply wait 2 to 4 hrs. to allow full digestion first? Do fasted cardio lst thing before eating "using up "yesterdays" surplus, what? Should I bulk to a point 200-300 calories above whatever caloric count I burn off doing cardio? Just be sure that my caloric intake ends up being 200-300 calories over maintenance AFTER whatever I burn off from cardio?
That seems logical...it's the math of doing this that I need to zero in on...

I'm trying a mini-bulk after some cutting and want to know how this works exactly.
I'm 68, cutting/bulking after 5 to 10 lb. swings. Lift 4 days min. per week with 70-90% of 1RM most days around 80% to failure (not true failure, just when form breaks down or can't get the bar up again). I realize that it would be more efficient to bulk far longer and diet down again, but with limited time left to build more muscle and having gotten fatter'n a pig on SS mini-s are something I want to try.

I know this stuff is everywhere and simple, but I've never understood the full picture.
Thanks.

mettkeks

Re: Mini-Bulks and Cardio:Math/Procedure?

Post by mettkeks » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Just be sure that my caloric intake ends up being 200-300 calories over maintenance AFTER whatever I burn off from cardio?
Si, senor. You want to be +300 at the end of the day. Calories in, calories out.

3000kcal maintenance > 3300 = bulk.

3000kcal + 300kcal cardio (-) > 3300 maintenance > 3600kcal = bulk.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks mettkeks. I was concerned that the short term mini cut thing might be more time sensitive somehow regarding the use of cardio either fasted or no-making use of all the nutrients before burning off the excess to get to the target daily total. Sounds like it wouldn't really matter and compliance is the primary factor/ driver. Same as for a longer (real) bulk.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:02 am

Inverstone wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:24 pm Thanks mettkeks. I was concerned that the short term mini cut thing might be more time sensitive somehow regarding the use of cardio either fasted or no-making use of all the nutrients before burning off the excess to get to the target daily total. Sounds like it wouldn't really matter and compliance is the primary factor/ driver. Same as for a longer (real) bulk.
Yep. If there's a net-negative at the end of the day, you'll lose weight. If you burn off the calories you're ingesting with cardio (that'd be some looong cardio sesh.) then you'll dig right into your fat storage the rest of the day. The total amounts matter much more than the distribution. Though (mainly protein) distribution is a little more important on a bulk, if you meet your cal and P goals in at least 3 meals you're 95% there.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:53 am

Ok, thanks again. I always try to make the weight training the basis for burning off excess rather than a ton of cardio (who likes cardio?) but we'll see how a mix goes this time with a shorter time frame to work with.
The experimentation never stops! Just when you think you know what works for yourself (and what's pretty simple/basic) aging seems to make just enough of a change to make you tweak things or at least think you should-trying to make the simple more complicated ;)
Anyway it'll be fun to see if I can make the mini-bulk and cut thing work for me these days.
Appreciate the feedback. Cheers.