Deadlift form

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

oldguy

Deadlift form

Post by oldguy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Other than letting bar drift forward on first rep, other issues ?

Cellist

Re: Deadlift form

Post by Cellist » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Does the bar go forward because it was too close to the shins at the start?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Take a little more time to get the slack out. You might wanna try shifting your hips back a little and really cranking your lats down.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:16 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:58 pm Take a little more time to get the slack out. You might wanna try shifting your hips back a little and really cranking your lats down.
I was going to say this too, but hey, nice damn double.
The ideal being that your torso and the bar move in unison right from the start.
I'm getting to where i can manage that more often than not now on top weights.
It is a minor bit of movement when watched, but it takes away force going into the bar.

I'm getting a lot better at having my hips at the right height too.
I habitually set up with them too low for a long time.
(not saying this about you, iirc, yours were set just about right, don't 100% recall)

**Ok, yeah, just watched again.
On the first pull, see how the bar doesn't bend until you fully go for it?
I want to see that happen during my set up, right before i fully commit.
Set & pull (pretty much as one movement) , then lift/push with legs/ aka pull lol.

Had to go back a bit for what is a better clean rep for me.
But it shows a little bar bend, hips set right, and pretty good unity off the floor.
I'm sure there are mistakes i'm not even seeing, but this is what i shoot for at this point.
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Wilhelm on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks gentlemen. This is very helpful advice and certainly appreciated.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Yeah, slack is a big issue for you (and most people).

There's getting tight and rigid as a lifter but without pulling on the bar, and then there's the right way.

You essentially want to do everything you can to make you and barbell a single entity (soviets talk a lot about the "barbell athlete system" or BAS). The idea is to use the loaded barbell to pull or leverage yourself into position.

Not a rigid body holding a barbell, but a rigid body and barbell unified as one.

It's a strange concept right up until you feel it, and then it makes sense.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 am

Testiclaw wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm Yeah, slack is a big issue for you (and most people).

There's getting tight and rigid as a lifter but without pulling on the bar, and then there's the right way.

You essentially want to do everything you can to make you and barbell a single entity (soviets talk a lot about the "barbell athlete system" or BAS). The idea is to use the loaded barbell to pull or leverage yourself into position.

Not a rigid body holding a barbell, but a rigid body and barbell unified as one.

So it's basically an isometric contraction. For a deadlift, is there anything wrong with loading up the bar with a huge weight, getting in a good set up position and pulling on it to get "unified"?

From my own experience, and anecdotes from others, initial attempts at getting a tight start position are pretty uncomfortable and depending on abdominal girth, well-nigh impossible, which at some point raises the question "how does one learn a rolling start?". I know some coaches would say "not at all". My guess is that for those who don't rule it out, the best prerequisite would still be nailing the static position, but probably at lighter weights and for ease of positioning, beltless. At some point, when you get more repetitions and add more weight, you get a feel for the place where the bar comes off the floor with the least downward resistance. Still that's not easy.

This Tuchscherer video has some interesting cues on the start position (basically what @mgil said):

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:31 am

Cellist wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 am
Testiclaw wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm Yeah, slack is a big issue for you (and most people).

So it's basically an isometric contraction. For a deadlift, is there anything wrong with loading up the bar with a huge weight, getting in a good set up position and pulling on it to get "unified"?

From my own experience, and anecdotes from others, initial attempts at getting a tight start position are pretty uncomfortable and depending on abdominal girth, well-nigh impossible, which at some point raises the question "how does one learn a rolling start?". I know some coaches would say "not at all". My guess is that for those who don't rule it out, the best prerequisite would still be nailing the static position, but probably at lighter weights and for ease of positioning, beltless. At some point, when you get more repetitions and add more weight, you get a feel for the place where the bar comes off the floor with the least downward resistance. Still that's not easy.

This Tuchscherer video has some interesting cues on the start position (basically what @mgil said):

I've set pins for people to pull an empty bar into at starting position height for just that reason.

I like it more because if they relax it's easy to see, the bar dips.