Fat sources

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

psmith

Fat sources

Post by psmith » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Looking for reasonably shelf-stable """""healthy"""""" fat sources to add to or eat alongside protein shakes. Have a vague sense I should look at plant fats since I already eat a ton of cheese, ghee, and chicken thighs. Using avocados right now (alongside, not mixed in) and they're pretty good but shelf life is a concern. Nut butters (huehuehue) are an obvious answer but it's way too easy for me to eat half the jar in one go. Coconut oil? (I've done spoonfuls of room-temp coconut oil before, bit off-putting but maybe that's a good thing if I'm trying to drop weight.). Avocado oil? (Looks like the fatty acid breakdown is pretty close to olive oil, so: olive oil?) MCT oil? Something else I haven't thought of? And what to do about scam oils, which I understand is something of a problem with olive oil? (see e.g. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarod ... 87ec8e639d)

pls respond

CtMcBride

Re: Fat sources

Post by CtMcBride » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Almonds. Whole, raw, unseasoned.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Just as to the olive oil thing, buy the California Olive Ranch brand (green bottle). It is uncut with other oils.

Coconut oil is easier when you put it in your coffee.
Though i will sometimes do 1 Tbsp along with 1 Tbsp peanut butter.
Mostly if i'm bulking, and just need to fill in calories for the day.
Makes them both taste better (to me)

Piping Rock has good deals on MCT oil.
Wait for the BOGO or watch the %off sales.

If you haven't used MCT oil, build up slowly.
Start with a teaspoon per serving.

I tolerate two tablespoons in a shake, but i almost always use only one.

I time my avocados by buying them hard, putting one or two in a brown paper bag to fast ripen, and setting the others down below in a cold cupboard.
Then there is just setting them out on the table at room temp as a middle speed deal.
Well, the table ones get a little soft, and then i put them in the cold cupboard to slow them down for later use.
The refrigerator does weird things to them.
I'll buy one ripe one to use the first day, if they look good, and not overripe at the store.

I gave up on having them everyday, since some eventually get weird toward the end of the week.
Once it's summer, maybe i'll try the basement for the cool storage part.

Butter incorporates very well into scrambled eggs, so maybe just use more than you are used to.
Grass fed butter is great, but expensive.

I guess tallow and lard are pretty popular in the low carb domain, and grass fed sources are available.
I've never used it.
Pretty spendy, and i really don't cook, other than eggs a few times a week, so don't know how i'd use it.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:17 am

I like almonds and walnuts if they're on sale, or peanuts because they're cheap. I pack a couple servings to work every day along with my other food and shakes.

I tried coconut oil in a shake once and it did not blend well at all. Olive oil in a shake isn't bad though.

psmith

Post by psmith » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks guys!
I time my avocados by buying them hard, putting one or two in a brown paper bag to fast ripen, and setting the others down below in a cold cupboard.
[...]
I gave up on having them everyday, since some eventually get weird toward the end of the week.
Yeah, this is just about where I'm at too. That and the grocery stores around me aren't carrying as many green ones as they were earlier in the season.
Coconut oil is easier when you put it in your coffee.
It sure is, I actually really like it that way.
nuts
To you guys, too.

j/k, I'll give it a go--and I do like walnuts--but I've been exercising caution with phytate sources as part of a kitchen-sink approach to treating and preventing stress fractures. (Supposed to inhibit calcium absorption, not sure if effect size is large enough to matter.).

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:11 pm

psmith wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:42 am

j/k, I'll give it a go--and I do like walnuts--but I've been exercising caution with phytate sources as part of a kitchen-sink approach to treating and preventing stress fractures. (Supposed to inhibit calcium absorption, not sure if effect size is large enough to matter.).
Proper Calcium Use: Vitamin K2 as a Promoter of Bone and Cardiovascular Health
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566462/

I buy my K2 from Piping Rock, but maybe you have brick and mortar options available.
There is always shipping from PR, but they are still best for me, as i have to buy online.
No shops here.
What i get is a K1 K2 complex, with two forms of K2.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Walnut are high omega3.

Sachi inchi nuts/seeds (insanely high Omega3)

Cacao nibs. (anti-oxidants)

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm

I think coconut oil might be a not-particularly-healthy source as it's mostly saturated fat. Nuts are probably your best bet here.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Chia seeds are quite good too and are high fibre. Bit of a pest to clean shakers etc that have had them though!

That said I’ve found when cutting that reducing fat intake has been the easiest way to sustain weight loss with limited impact on performance, so if you are on a decent cut one option could be to leave the additional fat out and see if it helps with your goals. Obviously I’m just extrapolating from your OP so may be totally wrong!!

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:53 am

Nuts are awesome, cuz fiber. Lots of evidence for olive oil. Canola oil has good shelf life too. I don’t see a reason for regular consumption of saturated fats like coconut oil.

psmith

Post by psmith » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 am

Vitamin K2
Yep. I use Thorne Research drops, which I think are the best price per mcg but a little less convenient logistically than the pills/gels.
Sachi inchi nuts/seeds
Never even heard of these but sounds pretty good!
Cacao nibs. (anti-oxidants)
True, but also maybe cadmium: https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/Coc ... flavanols/
I’ve found when cutting that reducing fat intake has been the easiest way to sustain weight loss with limited impact on performance
Fair point. I've been experimenting with a higher-fat approach in the context of preparing for long days innawoods after reading a bunch of stuff by the Uphill Athlete guys.
saturated fats
But muh ROS theory of obesity...nah you guys are probably right. (though I'm not sure there's a good reason to actively avoid saturated fats either)
Canola oil
Broscience suggests this one is a bad idea, idk though.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:41 pm

psmith wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:00 am
saturated fats
But muh ROS theory of obesity...
Had to google this. Wish I hadn’t. Charlatans gonna charlatan, I guess.

CeeKa

Post by CeeKa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Anyone have a reliable study on differences regarding health impact between saturated and unsaturated fats? Last time I checked there was pretty much only evidence that trans fats are big shit.

psmith

Post by psmith » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 pm

CeeKa wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm Anyone have a reliable study on differences regarding health impact between saturated and unsaturated fats? Last time I checked there was pretty much only evidence that trans fats are big shit.
I thought this was a pretty good popular overview with links to various studies and meta-analyses: https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/10/f ... fat-diets/

alek

Post by alek » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 pm

CeeKa wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm Anyone have a reliable study on differences regarding health impact between saturated and unsaturated fats? Last time I checked there was pretty much only evidence that trans fats are big shit.
Of what I’ve read, limiting SFA to no more than 10% of daily calories seems to be the bee’s knees. Going lower doesn’t really reduce risk of “bad stuff”, but going higher seems to increase the risk. According to Alan Flanagan, the Nutritional Advocate, there’s a variety of different types of research pointing to this. I don’t have any links for that right now, but searching for Alan may lead you on a decent path.

Regarding TFA, that’s the only thing everyone agrees on that you should not eat any of it at all.

Eta: I just searched for “alan flanagan 10% sfa” and here’s one of the first links; https://www.biolayne.com/articles/nutri ... han-sugar/

Eta2: Yes, I’m biased, but I love the last paragraph:

“In the context of food-based recommendations, let’s end with this statement: we know what diet patterns maximally benefit human health. Those diet patterns are high in unsaturated fats from fish, nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils like extra-virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil, they are high in complex carbohydrates from legumes (lentils, chickpeas, various beans) and whole grains (oats, bulgar, couscous, pasta, polenta, and breads from whole grain sources), they are rich in a variety of non-starchy vegetables, and include plenty of fruit. Movements in nutrition that mount spurious claims about diet and health obscure the simplicity of this truth.”

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Bearnaise, that's a good one.
Bechemel, that's good too
My Nonna used ot make a sausage ragu that was very oily

oh, wait

ragebb

Post by ragebb » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:34 pm

Is it okay to only drink water to lose fat? I avoid eating fatty foods now. Trying to slim down while searching for supps. Any suggestion?