Injury robbed my of Squat depth

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

DPriest442

Injury robbed my of Squat depth

Post by DPriest442 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:16 am

About a month ago I hurt my low back and progress for squats and deadlift have stopped. Training for them has been mostly whatever I can do. For squats this was the second time I've done any sort of freeweight squat in the past 3 weeks. Before this I did 100kg x 10 which was even higher than this (110kg x 5). I don't feel like my much has changed from before, I just can't get as deep.

This is me working with 40kg trying stances. The first is normal, but I really tried pushing my knees out as much as possible. Second was a very wide stance and third was very narrow.

And this was a 130kg x 1 I hit nearly a week ago

The only major difference, aside from not squatting and getting hurt, is my belt. Before I was using a thin leather bodybuilding style belt. Now I'm using a proper 10mm belt and while I like it for bench, squatting and deadlifting positioning with it is still something I'm getting used to

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Injury robbed my of Squat depth

Post by mgil » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:23 am

Have you tried squats paused at the bottom?

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 am

@DPriest442 I would highly recommend the chiropractor. Find one that knows about lifting.

I had a lower back tweak for a good part of the last year. I dropped the weights WAY down and tried to rehab it my self for most of the year. Went to the chiropractor and in about 3 or 4 session back was feeling like new. I wish I would have gone earlier.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:34 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 am @ DPriest442 I would highly recommend the chiropractor. Find one that knows about lifting.

I had a lower back tweak for a good part of the last year. I dropped the weights WAY down and tried to rehab it my self for most of the year. Went to the chiropractor and in about 3 or 4 session back was feeling like new. I wish I would have gone earlier.
Yes.
Effective chiros who know what they are doing do exist.
Personal experience has shown me this.

Find one of those if you go this route.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 am

I think you'll be fine in short order.
You are not that far off, and as you said, you haven't squatted in a while.

I don't think running to chiro (to fix ur skawt depth) at this point is the answer at all.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:43 pm

There isn't really much between pre and post injury. I wouldn't worry much.

My experience with this kind of thing is that it is usually a better idea to figure out what happened and why before anything else. If it really is a mystery then a good place to start is making sure your bracing is correct; making sure your hamstrings and glutes aren't tight (for me there is a very, very strong correlation between glute and/or hamstring tightness and back issues); and doing regular ab and lower back work.