"Drug free muscle potential" Bullshit or not?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Murelli

"Drug free muscle potential" Bullshit or not?

Post by Murelli » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/your- ... al-part-2/

I remember reading some discussion regarding this, but since it popped again on my e-mail and I've finally took my time to read it, here it goes: I still can't figure out if it is bullshit or not. It sounds like it is, because it says I'm lifting at 65% efficiency and that I have potential to lift 300+ kg on the squat.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: "Drug free muscle potential" Bullshit or not?

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:29 am

Those things are always bullshit.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

It's based on fitting a line to performances by elite competitors, right?

So all it predicts that an elite squatter your height & weight at 12% bodyfat can squat 300kg.

If *you* can't, then either (a) you aren't that lean or (b) you are too light for your height and would have to bulk up to a higher weight class (still at 12% bf) to be elite, or (c) something is wrong with your squat.

(c) could be almost anything, right? An injury, form, long femurs, genetic tendency towards the wrong kind of muscle fibers, tendon insertions too close to the joints. We can't all be elite.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 am

cwd wrote:It's based on fitting a line to performances by elite competitors, right?

So all it predicts that an elite squatter your height & weight at 12% bodyfat can squat 300kg.

If *you* can't, then either (a) you aren't that lean or (b) you are too light for your height and would have to bulk up to a higher weight class (still at 12% bf) to be elite, or (c) something is wrong with your squat.

(c) could be almost anything, right? An injury, form, long femurs, genetic tendency towards the wrong kind of muscle fibers, tendon insertions too close to the joints. We can't all be elite.
What about that old "genetic potential" thing?

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 am

I think "genetic potential" includes skeleton shape, natural T levels, tendon insertions, blah blah.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am

Cody wrote:Those things are always bullshit.
+1

OCG

Post by OCG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:41 pm

The articles or the calculator?

Once again, Greg goes drawing conclusions out of thin air. I would very much like the see the dataset used to make this calculator. I have a feeling it's not very good, or "complete".

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:56 am

OCG wrote:
The articles or the calculator?

Once again, Greg goes drawing conclusions out of thin air. I would very much like the see the dataset used to make this calculator. I have a feeling it's not very good, or "complete".
Both.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:47 am

I always got the impression from that site that they are more interested in speculation than they are in providing hard facts and solid conclusions.

I recall somebody on another site criticising an article about progression strategies. The criticism was that the linear progression chosen wasn't optimal. The article merely set out to compare hypothetical strategies, not to recommend them.

Likewise, this article has used available calculators to come up with an hypothetical figure. I ran my own data through it some time ago and did wonder what it would take to make me into a 90kg 8% body fat superman. I probably wouldn't want to do it though.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:24 pm

cwd wrote:It's based on fitting a line to performances by elite competitors, right?

Or, you know, the elite lifter might be on supplements that you aren't taking.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:54 pm

DirtyRed wrote: Or, you know, the elite lifter might be on supplements that you aren't taking.
Nope, I went on the needle this morning (via the legal route, using an M.D.). From here on out, I'll have no excuse at all.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Well, the needles hey use are filled with different things, and much more of them.

I also gotta say, I agree with DR. Given the current environment around drug use, it's impossible to eliminate it as a variable. Always shits me when Greg uses elite IPF lifters as the pool of natural lifters to compare with.

tersh

Post by tersh » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

cwd wrote: Nope, I went on the needle this morning (via the legal route, using an M.D.). From here on out, I'll have no excuse at all.
If you want any advice on this front, let me know. I've been at it a while.

cwd

Post by cwd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 am

tersh wrote: If you want any advice on this front, let me know. I've been at it a while.
Thanks. No questions so far, I read up quite a bit and the clinic (a national chain) seemed to say and do all the stuff I expected.