Uneven bar rise - deadlift

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Re: Uneven bar rise - deadlift

Post by Hamburgerfan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

I had the same problem for a little over a year. It was actually a little worse in my case. The bar was very clearly uneven when I deadlifted, and I had chronic SI joint pain on my right side. Like almost every other problem I've had, it was completely cured by adding a lot more direct lower back and hamstring work. I didn't really include any unilateral work, and I didn't investigate any possible leg length discrepancy. I just did tons of GHRs, leg curls, reverse hypers, etc. Might be worth a try. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, stronger hamstrings can only be a good thing in general.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:53 am

Hamburgerfan wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm I had the same problem for a little over a year. It was actually a little worse in my case. The bar was very clearly uneven when I deadlifted, and I had chronic SI joint pain on my right side. Like almost every other problem I've had, it was completely cured by adding a lot more direct lower back and hamstring work. I didn't really include any unilateral work, and I didn't investigate any possible leg length discrepancy. I just did tons of GHRs, leg curls, reverse hypers, etc. Might be worth a try. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, stronger hamstrings can only be a good thing in general.
Thanks, @Hamburgerfan
I really do need to continue at some point with the good mornings i had started to include before i stsrted this DUP layout a couple of months ago.
At this point, it feels like i have really found a sweet spot of challenging vs recovery and growth with squats and bench which are on this scheme.
I'll play my old man card here, but honestly, i can tell that if i want to sustain this pattern through November, i will need not to burn out.
It is a very long cycle, but that's the experiment i'm running.

I don't have any SI pain or other pain involved with this deadlift issue.
And that it is on my right side clearly points out (to me) that it's not a muscle weakness issue. Well, not an imbalance favoring my left side anyway.
My right calf is bigger enough than my left that my sleeves fit differently, and right side measurements in general are slightly bigger than left.

I'm not at all saying direct work isn't a good idea. And i absolutely appreciate the input and recognize the results you get with your very dedicated work.

Last DL session was an off day to start with, so things were compounded.
I'm very close to the end of this ten week DL cycle.
Thursday i go again, and i'm going to try barefoot left foot and Nano on the right.
I've pulled 425 so far, and it looked much better than some of last Thursday's reps w/ 400.

For now, i'm going to try and stick to my plan and move my total up significantly for my November meet.

It is perhaps not the completely smartest plan, but if i want to stick to it, i have to just push on.

If i'm lucky, i'll find a way to ameliorate whatever is going on (i don't think my right leg is shorter, btw)
And most days already, it is passable.

Next year i may end up having to program differently, and as mentioned, i really do want to put GMs back in in a serious way.

Hopefully day after tomorrow i'll find a little improvement.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:53 am

To take @Hamburgerfan's post a little further, Did you do any DL variations, SGDL, Block/rack pulls, semi sumo etc.? I'm curious how different stancewidths and ROM's would affect your issue or maybe help diagnosing it further.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm

mettkeks wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:53 am To take @Hamburgerfan's post a little further, Did you do any DL variations, SGDL, Block/rack pulls, semi sumo etc.? I'm curious how different stancewidths and ROM's would affect your issue or maybe help diagnosing it further.
Also a great suggestion, and also something i will likely choose put off till next year.

For better or worse, i am committed at this point to finishing two one more ten week dl cycle before my meet.

If it all falls apart, at least then i will have tried finishing what i have laid out for myself.
As long as there aren't too many off days like last Thursday, which honestly is the first off day for deadlifts i've had since starting the SSPT cycles last September, i should be able to complete my plan for my meet and put up the number i want to finish the year.

I have 410 for 5 singles Thursday, and will be trying the one shoe one sock approach.

I don't want to be the guy who thinks he knows better than more experienced people, and i really do think these are great suggestions for training even w/o my little problem here.

I also feel value in finishing the plan i have so i can hopefully learn something from it.
I am very interested in what the result will be for my squat and bench, and i feel things are pretty well in balance for me right now in terms of work and recovery/growth.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm Also a great suggestion, and also something i will likely choose put off till next year.

For better or worse, i am committed at this point to finishing two more ten week dl cycles before my meet.

If it all falls apart, at least then i will have tried finishing what i have laid out for myself.
As long as there aren't too many off days like last Thursday, which honestly is the first off day for deadlifts i've had since starting the SSPT cycles last September, i should be able to complete my plan for my meet and put up the number i want to finish the year.

I have 410 for 5 singles Thursday, and will be trying the one shoe one sock approach.

I don't want to be the guy who thinks he knows better than more experienced people, and i really do think these are great suggestions for training even w/o my little problem here.

I also feel value in finishing the plan i have so i can hopefully learn something from it.
I am very interested in what the result will be for my squat and bench, and i feel things are pretty well in balance for me right now in terms of work and recovery/growth.
No worries, sir! Just throwing around ideas and I'm well aware that I am no where near an authority myself. I'm just curious since I've cleaned up my deadlifts from not being able to pull a set of 5 without pain for days to what I would say looks almost perfect. Yet I still have the problem that I favour one side while setting up, which sometimes manifests in moving sideways.

Good luck anyways!!!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 pm

@mettkeks, sumo is something i've actually been considering lately.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Utter failure with 410 singles today.
First two attempts left the floor, and the fail happened when i was trying to drag the right side of the bar up after it had lagged behind.

I don't know exactly what i'm going to do going forward, but i can't keep up this approach.
Sucks, because i've made good progress since last September.

Well, i just knocked together a platform wide enough for me to start sumo.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am

Started practicing sumo, and the different stance makes it more visible at light weight what is happening. My damn right arm acts as if is longer than my left. But when i widen my grip enough to get the bar to the knees at the same time, i finish with the right side higher, so not really an arm length issue. Only effectively.
Grip is even here. Index on the very beginning of knurl.
This is only 185lbs. If my hamstrings are that weak, i have no business squatting or deadlifting what i already have.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:57 am

Could be some unevenness in your thoracic bracing, or even just a slight lean to the side as you're on the way up.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re:

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am

cgeorg wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:57 am Could be some unevenness in your thoracic bracing, or even just a slight lean to the side as you're on the way up.
Yeah, something like that. :(
That it shows up with such light weight is... interesting.
Not a leg strength issue. (At least not the unevenness part)

Gonna stay focused on conventional , widen my right hand grip, and try to salvage something for my meet at the end of the November.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm

So, i think i can close out this thread now

@Sumo's suggestion that lat engagement could be the solution to my uneven bar rise is verified.
Had the right side lag on the second single, refocused and got even reps. Couldn't be much more pleased.
Also remembering to really take the slack out before pulling. I have the solution, it's just down to me to execute correctly.

I am very grateful, and somewhat astonished he was able to decode my issue just watching my clips.

It is not my immutable fate to have an ugly deadlift! \o/

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 am

@Wilhelm, I saw this update on Instagram and was super happy that you’ve been able to work this out and that the forum was helpful. Good stuff!

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm So, i think i can close out this thread now

Sumo's suggestion that lat engagement could be the solution to my uneven bar rise is verified.
Had the right side lag on the second single, refocused and got even reps. Couldn't be much more pleased.
Also remembering to really take the slack out before pulling. I have the solution, it's just down to me to execute correctly.

I am very grateful, and somewhat astonished he was able to decode my issue just watching my clips.

It is not my immutable fate to have an ugly deadlift! \o/
Great VVilly!!! May your bar rise evenly from now on.

Sumo

Post by Sumo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 am

Awesome Wil, this is great news mate, nothing more satisfying that figuring out a stubborn issue :D

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:40 pm

Necro-ing this to say the actual final solution is i started (long ago) gripping the right hand about a finger and a half wide.

I do that to this day, and it was the solution.
Something happens in my right side shoulder/collar bone area that cause drastic lag on that side.

Never pinned down exactly what it is, but it wasn't weak hamstrings.

This was about as good as it got with heavy singles back then. August 2018 410lbs

Feb 24 2021 438lbs