Competition Bench form feedback - thank you!

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

zem1

Competition Bench form feedback - thank you!

Post by zem1 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi all,

I’ve bitten the bullet and am signed up for my first meet in July. I’ve no experience with commands but will be able to get some practice before then. In the meantime I’m trying to practice lifting to a 1-1-1 tempo to get used to the pause on the chest.

I was hoping you could watch a few recent videos and provide feedback on:
(1) the length of the pause
(2) any observable form problems.

There’s a few little details I notice but no catastrophic faults though I’m sure more knowledgeable minds will see something I don’t.

A sincere thank you in advance.

Videos (from most recent to eldest):

augeleven

Re: Competition Bench form feedback - thank you!

Post by augeleven » Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 pm

On your last rep of the set, you are quick to rerack the bar. I’m pretty sure there is a rack command after the lift, so you might want to add a 2-3 count pause on lockout of the last rep to simulate waiting for that command.
I think...

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue May 18, 2021 2:44 pm

augeleven wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 pm On your last rep of the set, you are quick to rerack the bar. I’m pretty sure there is a rack command after the lift, so you might want to add a 2-3 count pause on lockout of the last rep to simulate waiting for that command.
I think...
Yep.
My last meet we were all basically screaming cheering this guy on as he fought for his 3rd attempt.
He got it, and it was a beautiful thing.
Then in a split second, we all groaned as he beat the rack command, racking it the moment he locked it out.

zem1

Post by zem1 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:00 pm

I didn’t know that! Will definitely add it to my practice now. Thanks heaps, may have saved me a lot of heartache.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Good comp feedback. Overall, try to work through hearing all the commands, even if it’s just in your head.

Form looks good for now, most things are clean. When your competition is over, post those singles and let’s see what comes of it. There may be a few things to consider when you’re going for heavy singles that aren’t as apparent on a set of five.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue May 18, 2021 3:10 pm

There is no minimum pause length - the head judge is supposed to give the press command once the bar is motionless on the chest (IPF/USAPL rules). You probably want to practice with at least 2-count pauses. What you showed in the more recent videos would be if you got a perfectly timed press command, which is rare from what I have seen.

In a meet, I don't initiate re-racking squats or bench myself even if I've heard the command, to be honest. I just hold it until the spotters start moving the bar towards the rack.

Record a set from the side so you can make sure your butt is not coming off the bench and both feet are staying flat on the ground.

zem1

Post by zem1 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Thanks Manveer, will do on the weekend and come back with a fresh video. I do practice a 3-count pause on Thursdays for the reasons you’ve mentioned 🙂

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue May 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Manveer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:10 pm There is no minimum pause length - the head judge is supposed to give the press command once the bar is motionless on the chest (IPF/USAPL rules). You probably want to practice with at least 2-count pauses. What you showed in the more recent videos would be if you got a perfectly timed press command, which is rare from what I have seen.

In a meet, I don't initiate re-racking squats or bench myself even if I've heard the command, to be honest. I just hold it until the spotters start moving the bar towards the rack.

Record a set from the side so you can make sure your butt is not coming off the bench and both feet are staying flat on the ground.
The butt thing...

Do you get redlighted because your butt came completely off the bench, or because it moved somewhat (while still making contact with the bench?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue May 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:52 pm
Manveer wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:10 pm There is no minimum pause length - the head judge is supposed to give the press command once the bar is motionless on the chest (IPF/USAPL rules). You probably want to practice with at least 2-count pauses. What you showed in the more recent videos would be if you got a perfectly timed press command, which is rare from what I have seen.

The butt thing...

Do you get redlighted because your butt came completely off the bench, or because it moved somewhat (while still making contact with the bench?
Supposed to be if the refs can see "daylight."
So yeah, some portion of your butt must remain in contact with the bench.
In USAPL it's head, shoulders, butt remain in contact with bench, and feet must remain flat on the platform.
Feet can slide, but soles of shoes stay flat.
That's why i wear my heeled shoes for bench.
They allow me to have my feet back and still keep the shoe sole flat.
I've seen refs not give the start command to lifters who have their feet rolled somewhat onto one edge, but i've also seen that pass when it may have been borderline.
Like European Championships (iirc) one of the years on youtube a lifter had a bad issue with the rolled over feet thing, and i think i recall the lifter missed two of their attempts timing out/not getting a start command, and came out for their 3rd with their squat shoes on, and made their attempt.
Looked like the coaches or somebody caught it and the correction was made.

The side refs won't signal the head ref to give the start command until you have unracked the bar, have your elbows locked, all parts touching the bench that are supposed to, and feet flat.
If the lifter doesn't acheive correct starting position (including being within legal grip width) they will give the rerack command.
Then if you are lucky, you'll be informed what was wrong, and if you have enough of your 1 minute left, you can resetup, and hopefully get the rack command.
I don't think the refs are even required to inform you of the error.
But i have also seen a head ref come up to a lifter and move his hands into legal width before the unrack.
I think that would have been a lanuguage barrier situation, a Japanese lifter is how i remember it.

But it would be good to video yourself in training to be sure your feet are flat and everything else is in order.

USPA iirc, your head can come up, and you can have your heels up/bench with toes touching floor.
But i'm not completely sure about USPA rules.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed May 19, 2021 9:51 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:47 pm
Renascent wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:52 pm

The butt thing...

Supposed to be if the refs can see "daylight."
So yeah, some portion of your butt must remain in contact with the bench.
In USAPL it's head, shoulders, butt remain in contact with bench, and feet must remain flat on the platform.
Feet can slide, but soles of shoes stay flat.
That's why i wear my heeled shoes for bench.
They allow me to have my feet back and still keep the shoe sole flat.
I've seen refs not give the start command to lifters who have their feet rolled somewhat onto one edge, but i've also seen that pass when it may have been borderline.
Like European Championships (iirc) one of the years on youtube a lifter had a bad issue with the rolled over feet thing, and i think i recall the lifter missed two of their attempts timing out/not getting a start command, and came out for their 3rd with their squat shoes on, and made their attempt.
Looked like the coaches or somebody caught it and the correction was made.

The side refs won't signal the head ref to give the start command until you have unracked the bar, have your elbows locked, all parts touching the bench that are supposed to, and feet flat.
If the lifter doesn't acheive correct starting position (including being within legal grip width) they will give the rerack command.
Then if you are lucky, you'll be informed what was wrong, and if you have enough of your 1 minute left, you can resetup, and hopefully get the rack command.
I don't think the refs are even required to inform you of the error.
But i have also seen a head ref come up to a lifter and move his hands into legal width before the unrack.
I think that would have been a lanuguage barrier situation, a Japanese lifter is how i remember it.

But it would be good to video yourself in training to be sure your feet are flat and everything else is in order.

USPA iirc, your head can come up, and you can have your heels up/bench with toes touching floor.
But i'm not completely sure about USPA rules.
Ah, thanks.

Probably never going to compete, but I didn't know about the one-minute setup rule.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat May 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Depends on the federation, but you could have a longer pause. IPF and affiliates tend to pause longer, some other feds go the other way.

Good rule of thumb is assume you'll be held on your chest for a while.

walterkurda

Post by walterkurda » Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 am

zem1 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:11 pm Hi all,

I’ve bitten the bullet and am signed up for my first meet in July. I’ve no experience with commands but will be able to get some practice before then. In the meantime I’m trying to practice lifting to a 1-1-1 tempo to get used to the pause on the chest.

I was hoping you could watch a few recent videos and provide feedback on:
(1) the length of the pause
(2) any observable form problems.

There’s a few little details I notice but no catastrophic faults though I’m sure more knowledgeable minds will see something I don’t.

A sincere thank you in advance.

Videos (from most recent to eldest):

-----------------------------------------------------------------
it's your style, actually quite good. Lifting the dumbbell out of the rack can be done more effectively. I hear you exhale as you push up. That's not so good. The gas exchange should (must) take place at the highest point of the locus curve, in the form of forced breathing.

walterkurda

Post by walterkurda » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:14 am

... watch my competition-videos on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/user/walterkurda