Bar cleaning/maintenance

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

zappey1

Re: Bar cleaning/maintenance

Post by zappey1 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 am
zappey1 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm
DannyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm Realized that I've had my equipment about 4mos and never really cleaned my bar... I wiped it with a damp cloth to get chalk out of the knurling, then dried, then sprayed with some WD40. Anything else that I should/should not do? Should I get some kind of brush (like a golf brush or something)? I think the knurling has worn down a bit and whatever steps I can take to keep it from degrading further would obviously be good... Could also just feel that way from there being some of that lovely chalk/sweat/dead skin cocktail still in the grooves.
I have taken apart my bars for maintenance. I would suggest maybe once or twice a year. You need: Snap Ring Pliers and to be careful with order you take things out. I use 3 and 1 oil not WD40. 3 in 1 does not attract as much dust.

DO NOT TAKE APART A BEARINGS BAR. I think you just drop in some oil. TX power bars are harder to take apart
I'm wondering who here has the least expensive pair of snap ring pliers that they are still completely happy with for use on rings of this size/stiffness.

If you have the time to post links, that would be great.
Mine are still going strong. I actually think I could have gotten away with ordering cheaper ones. I never use any of the other attachments and they may be missing.

I whish I could find a video/tutorial on on how to take apart my TX power bar.

OCG

Post by OCG » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:19 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 am I whish I could find a video/tutorial on on how to take apart my TX power bar.
It's pretty simple, having done it before. Use a pin punch to punch out the two roll pins on the end of the sleeve, then just pull it off.

Here's a video:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:56 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 am
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 am
zappey1 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm
DannyP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:00 pm Realized that I've had my equipment about 4mos and never really cleaned my bar... I wiped it with a damp cloth to get chalk out of the knurling, then dried, then sprayed with some WD40. Anything else that I should/should not do? Should I get some kind of brush (like a golf brush or something)? I think the knurling has worn down a bit and whatever steps I can take to keep it from degrading further would obviously be good... Could also just feel that way from there being some of that lovely chalk/sweat/dead skin cocktail still in the grooves.
I have taken apart my bars for maintenance. I would suggest maybe once or twice a year. You need: Snap Ring Pliers and to be careful with order you take things out. I use 3 and 1 oil not WD40. 3 in 1 does not attract as much dust.

DO NOT TAKE APART A BEARINGS BAR. I think you just drop in some oil. TX power bars are harder to take apart
I'm wondering who here has the least expensive pair of snap ring pliers that they are still completely happy with for use on rings of this size/stiffness.

If you have the time to post links, that would be great.
Mine are still going strong. I actually think I could have gotten away with ordering cheaper ones. I never use any of the other attachments and they may be missing.

I whish I could find a video/tutorial on on how to take apart my TX power bar.
Brand is irrelevant. The El Cheapos at Northern Tool or even Harbor Freight are going to work as well as anything else for taking apart a bar every once in a while and nothing else. Better brands only matter in tight spaces and complicated applications - like some places on a car and rings in degraded/rusty condition.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am

So I'll be the odd one out and tell you to AVOID getting the cheapo snap ring pliers. I inherited a cheap ass pair that I couldn't get the ring off with and after a few tries one of the teeth snapped off. Got a second cheap pair for like $6 and again, the teeth would slip and the ring was just too tough to get off...

Splurged and bought a proper pair of Knipex 4411J2 for like $25 and it was night and day. Rings came right off super easy.

Buy once cry once...

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:12 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am So I'll be the odd one out and tell you to AVOID getting the cheapo snap ring pliers. I inherited a cheap ass pair that I couldn't get the ring off with and after a few tries one of the teeth snapped off. Got a second cheap pair for like $6 and again, the teeth would slip and the ring was just too tough to get off...

Splurged and bought a proper pair of Knipex 4411J2 for like $25 and it was night and day. Rings came right off super easy.

Buy once cry once...
This is my general approach with tools, I own professional everything not the cheap stuff. But I found zero difference between the Snap-on and the el cheapo ring piers in straight forward stuff. Things usually have to be a little jacked to break them on a ring.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:12 am
mouse wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 am So I'll be the odd one out and tell you to AVOID getting the cheapo snap ring pliers. I inherited a cheap ass pair that I couldn't get the ring off with and after a few tries one of the teeth snapped off. Got a second cheap pair for like $6 and again, the teeth would slip and the ring was just too tough to get off...

Buy once cry once...
This is my general approach with tools, I own professional everything not the cheap stuff. But I found zero difference between the Snap-on and the el cheapo ring piers in straight forward stuff. Things usually have to be a little jacked to break them on a ring.
Don't get me wrong, first set was absolutely jacked hahaha... second set (cheapos) did better than the first but the fit wasn't quite right and they would keep slipping out right as the ring was about to pop free...

When I sprung for the Knipex that were the right size and big enough to actually close the ring the job got so much easier and there was so much less swearing...

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 am

@Wilhelm I have the 8” husky reversible type from Home depot ($10) These just get the job done. If you are going to use them once a year or whatever, they will work fine. More frequently than that and i would go with something higher quality/less cheap.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:29 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:12 am

Buy once cry once...
Don't get me wrong, first set was absolutely jacked hahaha... second set (cheapos) did better than the first but the fit wasn't quite right and they would keep slipping out right as the ring was about to pop free...

When I sprung for the Knipex that were the right size and big enough to actually close the ring the job got so much easier and there was so much less swearing...
Less swearing, what's that like? I thought it was required, like an incantation for a wizrd...lol. The wrong size will definitely cause a problem though. Says the guy known to use two drift punches when there isn't a pair of pliers around.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks, fellas.

I have a pair of Channellocks that were here in the workbench odds and ends when we bought the house.
Unfortunately the set of tips in them are thin, and flex too much by the time they are closed to get the snap ring fully compressed.
I played around with setting them deeper in, past the stop, but then imagined finnaly getting the rings out, and then not being able to get them back in.

Would suck since i'm in later stages of meet prep.

I did see the Husky ones online, and the Knipex as well.

I think i'll look at our hardware store and see how stout whatever they have look. (some True Value option)
I think now i've felt what it will take, a i can size up a pair if i can actually hold them.

I noticed some have the teeth, or pins canted inward to grab the ring in the compressed position.

Sleeves are still spinning fairly well, so i'll put off the operation till after my meet.