Jerkin It Split Style... I Can Haz Explosiveness?

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

mouse

Jerkin It Split Style... I Can Haz Explosiveness?

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm finally ready to pick the free advice brains of people smarter than me on the internet on this now...

Awaiting surgery in the eons that have passed since my bicep/shoulder injury, I've been working on my weak side one armed press, and part of that has been trying to learn to split jerk in hopes that it will eventually translate to my strong side, and hopefully log/axle once I can use two arms...

Anyways, I'm officially open to harsh criticisms and directional pointing to good resources for drills and such that might help me improve this useful skill, as I know very little outside of what I've picked up from some IG posts and general mimicry...

Some things worth throwing out there out of the gate:

- ignore the weird one handed clean and support/off hand position... I plan on (hopefully) continuing to train it post surgery and if my arm is gonna be in a sling for a bit, that's how I've been preparing so it isn't weird...

- the first clip is probably the third or so I took, but the first from that angle and immediately noticed my heels. That was less apparent from the front and I couldn't quite feel it.

- the next couple clips I'm intentionally cueing my heels down, and as such my dip slows down a bit as it becomes more deliberate, I'll work on speeding it up in the future...

K, have fun and thanks for looking...

Hardartery

Re: Jerkin It Split Style... I Can Haz Explosiveness?

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm

I don't think that I'm an expert on this by any means, but I am curious. Why the Split Jerk and not a Squat Jerk? I'm just curious. The Split translates better for 1RM stuff, but is much slower if it's for reps. Your feet are slow, and you aren't dropping under very much, more of a straight Muscle Jerk, but the weight doesn't appear to be heavy enoughfor you to do the form differently. I see the O-lifters drop down after the catch even if they caught it high and are actually riding the weight down to the bottom position. I'm sure that they have their reasons for that. It looks basically okay to me, just needs some practice.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Looks pretty good actually. A bit slow on the drive, but I think with practice it'll get faster and smoother. Don't really have anything helpful other than keep doing them.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:33 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm I don't think that I'm an expert on this by any means, but I am curious. Why the Split Jerk and not a Squat Jerk? I'm just curious.
Mainly because I'm just trying to see if I can learn how to actually do it well enough to a point where in the future it might be a useable tool, and in a somewhat sad twist of irony... because I feel like I was able to drop down a little faster than my typical push/squat jerk...
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm Your feet are slow, and you aren't dropping under very much, more of a straight Muscle Jerk
I have all the explosiveness and quickness of a lumbering man twice my size... but none of the strength lol
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm but the weight doesn't appear to be heavy enoughfor you to do the form differently.
That's one of my concerns for the future if I stick with it, once actual weight starts ramping up that it will start falling apart, but since I'm pretty restricted by what I can clean with just my left and a knee assist I figure I should try to figure it out light so that the (at least somewhat) correct patterns will be there later...

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 am

Not sure how the overhead position effects a jerk, but whatever. It looks to me like you're getting on your toes and forward in the dip/drive and how you end up over your front foot in the split. Try some footwork drills with chalk to find your stance and positions, then work on moving your torso straight down in the dip and driving straight up. You start pretty wide. Usually the feet are about hip width and toes out for the dip and drive and move out for stability in the split with toes in. Dip with knees out so your hips don't go forward and you stay balanced on the whole foot. Drive straight up and land with your back leg bent and your front shin at an angle 90 degrees or greater.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm

mouse wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:33 am
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm I don't think that I'm an expert on this by any means, but I am curious. Why the Split Jerk and not a Squat Jerk? I'm just curious.
Mainly because I'm just trying to see if I can learn how to actually do it well enough to a point where in the future it might be a useable tool, and in a somewhat sad twist of irony... because I feel like I was able to drop down a little faster than my typical push/squat jerk...
Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 pm but the weight doesn't appear to be heavy enoughfor you to do the form differently.
That's one of my concerns for the future if I stick with it, once actual weight starts ramping up that it will start falling apart, but since I'm pretty restricted by what I can clean with just my left and a knee assist I figure I should try to figure it out light so that the (at least somewhat) correct patterns will be there later...
The split is mre natural feeling for most, it's the time to reset afterwards that slows you down. But, I am going to make a suggestion that possibly no one here will agree with. Try doing an overhead squat with the weight after the jerk. How comfortable you are on the drop to catch might be the limiting factor - your body won't want to drop and will fight you. Plus, they're hell on the core.