American Barbell Elite Power Bar

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

pcolumbus

American Barbell Elite Power Bar

Post by pcolumbus » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 am

Hello good folk,

I'm in the market for a Power bar & have my eyes set on the American Barbell Elite Power Bar. I need it to fit between joists in my basement(for OHP), so need exact measurements before I buy it.

If any of you happen to own it, can you please let me what these measurements for the bar are?

1) Distance between sleeves, outside to outside & inside to inside
2) Total length of the bar

Thanks!

SquatsALot

Re: American Barbell Elite Power Bar

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:27 pm

I bet if you email them, they would send the measurements to you.

I think the Rogue OPB is so popular here, might not be anybody that has that bar.

Skander

Post by Skander » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 am

@thejosef do you have that bar?

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:22 am

Skander wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 am @thejosef do you have that bar?
I do! Phenomenal bar! I’ll go measure it in just a few minutes for ya @pcolumbus ..

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am

pcolumbus wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 am Hello good folk,

I'm in the market for a Power bar & have my eyes set on the American Barbell Elite Power Bar. I need it to fit between joists in my basement(for OHP), so need exact measurements before I buy it.

If any of you happen to own it, can you please let me what these measurements for the bar are?

1) Distance between sleeves, outside to outside & inside to inside
2) Total length of the bar

Thanks!
Between sleeves outside to outside (“shoulder”/collar): 53 13/16”
Between sleeves collar inside to inside: 51 1/2”
Total length: 86 1/2”

Hope that helps! Let me know if u have any other questions about the bar. It has a mild, yet very grippy knurl, solid and very quiet build, and very clean stops/starts on the knurl. She’s a beauty!

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 pm

thejosef wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am

Hope that helps! Let me know if u have any other questions about the bar. It has a mild, yet very grippy knurl, solid and very quiet build, and very clean stops/starts on the knurl. She’s a beauty!
Thanks for the detailed measurements! Distance between my joists is 49 13/16", so this leaves me a couple of inches room on each side for OHP. Ordered the bar after your post & it got delivered today. Probably a month until I get the gym setup and unwrap the bar.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:20 am

pcolumbus wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 pm
thejosef wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 am

Thanks for the detailed measurements! Distance between my joists is 49 13/16", so this leaves me a couple of inches room on each side for OHP. Ordered the bar after your post & it got delivered today. Probably a month until I get the gym setup and unwrap the bar.
If it's still too tight you can either put smaller plates inside against the sleeve collars (blasphemy!), or if you have/get an extra set of clamps and put those on before the plates (also blasphemy!!).

I lifted like this for a while (Olympic lifting and not wanting to mess with bar dynamics (even at my paltry weight that doesn't bend the bar much)) and rarely had any issues, though only risk point was standing with a Jerk, but only hit the joists once or twice.

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:27 am

My regular AB Power Bar (not Grizzly, not Elite): collar-to-collar, inside measures 51 1/2 inches; collar-to collar, outside measures 53 3/4 inches. Maybe add 1/8 inch to each. I measured with the bar in the rack, a little tricky.

EDIT: It's a gorgeous bar. Nicest I've ever used.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:57 am

damufunman wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:20 am
If it's still too tight you can either put smaller plates inside against the sleeve collars (blasphemy!), or if you have/get an extra set of clamps and put those on before the plates (also blasphemy!!).

I lifted like this for a while (Olympic lifting and not wanting to mess with bar dynamics (even at my paltry weight that doesn't bend the bar much)) and rarely had any issues, though only risk point was standing with a Jerk, but only hit the joists once or twice.
Clamps before the plates is something I didn't think about, that's a great idea. I should be ok with 2" of spacing on each side. Will use that trick if it ends up being too tight.