Giants Live/World DL Championships

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

Giants Live/World DL Championships

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Anyone have results? I know no one got 505, and Novikov pulled 1000 lbs with 4 existing tears, which is nuts. Other than that, I got nothing. Oh, except that I'm annoyed that Nick's Strength and Power keeps calling it Powerlifting. It isn't bloody PLing, it doesn't go by any PL feds rules, it's purely a SM event that just happens to have some PLers participating.

Hardartery

Re: Giants Live/World DL Championships

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Looks like Singleton first
Pavlo second
Novikov third

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:06 pm Looks like Singleton first
Pavlo second
Novikov third
What was the logic behind 505kg? Eddie's "record" only needs 501kg -- and even if they want to actually break Thor's record without mentioning it (which I agree with, Thor has GOAT deadlift), they'd only need 502 kg. I don't think anyone could have actually pulled 502 kg either that day but -- maybe.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:07 pm

FredM wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:34 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:06 pm Looks like Singleton first
Pavlo second
Novikov third
What was the logic behind 505kg? Eddie's "record" only needs 501kg -- and even if they want to actually break Thor's record without mentioning it (which I agree with, Thor has GOAT deadlift), they'd only need 502 kg. I don't think anyone could have actually pulled 502 kg either that day but -- maybe.
501 is viewed as "Chipping" the record. 505 is meant to be a more definitive jump. That's the reasoning, be it good or bad reasoning. Brits are odd about stuff involving them and records and SM. The organizers of WSM have historically slanted thing to favour the Brit when possible, or the drinking buddy of one of them (Same thing to Dougie back in the day). They aren't going to give up on Talking about a Brit holding it if they can finagle a way to do that - like clinging to Thor's not being done at a full contest somewhere. Whatever, it's how it is. They wanted somebody to do something much bigger than Thor and as quickly as possible I think.