Eating keto on the road

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

platypus
mammal?

Eating keto on the road

Post by platypus » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am

Jimmy Johns: you can order any sandwich as an unwich and they give it to you in a lettuce wrap. They don’t skimp on meat like Subway, either.

Five Guys: You can order a burger bowl where they throw everything in a little aluminum tray bunless.

Supermaket delis: Rotisserie chickens are probably the cheapest option for meat that someone else prepared.

Buffalo Wild Wings: Half-price wings on Tuesdays. Speaking of wings, a lot of bars wing specials on Wednesdays.

If anyone's got more tips, I'm all ears.

5hout

Re: Eating keto on the road

Post by 5hout » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:41 am

Wendys: Double/Triple Baconator, no bun, not ketchup. Comes in a little clamshell case. Can also ask for extra lettuce if so inclined.

Culvers: Bunless double/triple swiss mushroom burger, comes in paper box thing and the mushroom sauces probably has a bit of sugar in it, but much better than a plain hamburger.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:08 pm

I'm not keto but I think rotisserie chickens are a great idea for cheap (?) tasty protein sources on the road.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Kinda wouldn’t want to mess with a rotisserie chicken while driving. I eat while I drive a lot - probably way too much.
I like sunflower seeds to snack on, they’re cheap and are at every gas station ever. I’ll get a half pound of sliced chicken or turkey from the deli counter, maybe an 1/8 pound of cheese ( I usually ask for 4 slices on the thick side). I have a secret death wish, so I will also buy some veggies and eat them without washing them. I’ll get the smallest tub of triple washed spring mix and eat with my hands while thinking of this guy:

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:54 pm

augeleven wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm Kinda wouldn’t want to mess with a rotisserie chicken while driving. I eat while I drive a lot - probably way too much.
I like sunflower seeds to snack on, they’re cheap and are at every gas station ever. I’ll get a half pound of sliced chicken or turkey from the deli counter, maybe an 1/8 pound of cheese ( I usually ask for 4 slices on the thick side). I have a secret death wish, so I will also buy some veggies and eat them without washing them. I’ll get the smallest tub of triple washed spring mix and eat with my hands while thinking of this guy:

I think the idea is places you can find suitable meals when away from home. Not specifically eating while driving.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Subway's salads/Protein Bowls are considerably less shit than they were 2 years ago. The salad is actually filling, good size (still have to get extra protein, but it used to come with a skimpy lettuce/veg portion).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:34 am

5hout wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:44 pm Subway's salads/Protein Bowls are considerably less shit than they were 2 years ago. The salad is actually filling, good size (still have to get extra protein, but it used to come with a skimpy lettuce/veg portion).
yep.....haven't done it a while ... but you get a ton of spinach (more nutrition than lettuce).
And tell them to throw a glob of that avocado-mush in the corner.

dw

Post by dw » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Rotisserie chicken update:

Currently away from home for a week and on a cut. Bought rotisserie chicken twice, once for $5.99 at the mid-tier grocery store and once for $6.99 at the swanky one.

Absolutely delicious when hot, still tasty when refrigerated. Only difficulty is estimating the calories of what I eat.

It also has zero fiber.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:33 pm

dw wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:00 pm Rotisserie chicken update:

Currently away from home for a week and on a cut. Bought rotisserie chicken twice, once for $5.99 at the mid-tier grocery store and once for $6.99 at the swanky one.

Absolutely delicious when hot, still tasty when refrigerated. Only difficulty is estimating the calories of what I eat.

It also has zero fiber.
A few options:
- If the deli is selling it, sometimes you can get cooked broccolli or a salad.
- Nuts are an option, depending on how many grams of carbs you're willing to take.
- A quest bar is terrific for fiber, but they're also ludicrously expensive.
- A can of psyllium husk is pretty easy to pack, and you can choke down a shake with each meal. It's really better done in a blender than a shaker cup, but you do what you can on the road.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:28 pm

1.19 for single wrapped, raw, broccoli heads at my local grocery store. I eat 1 per day, mostly raw as I crave the crunch on keto. If you're grabbing a deli chicken can grab a wrapped broccoli head and they are basically single serving.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:10 am

Chipotle:

Salad (or bowl or whatever)

Greens on bottom. (they them: " a little more please" )
Then Fajitas.
Double Steak .... seems to fill you more than chicken.
Hot sauce, and the mild (pico de gallo).
Cheese (they them: " a little more please" )
Guac.
....get a little side of sour cream and lightly dip some of your fork-bites in there ...

From their nutrition calculator:
CALORIES 730
Calories from Fat 385

TOTAL FAT 42g

PROTEIN 52g

CARBOHYDRATES 27g
Dietary Fiber 13g
Sugar 5g
Now if you were really worried about the carbs there,
delete the two salsas and the scrap the fijitas and then dump tabasco all over the thing.
That would get you down to ...
CARBOHYDRATES 14g
Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar 2g
...about 4 net carbs.