Dissenting SSCs

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

MPhelps

Re: Dissenting SSCs

Post by MPhelps » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:08 pm

To be fair, it was the 60s, not a lot of competition except Hendrix, Robby Krieger, probably a few more I can't recall off the top of me head.

Mkgillman
Biker

Post by Mkgillman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Wait just a damned minute. If we are doing prog guitarists and not talking about Camel or King Crimson, I will burn this place to the ground.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm

MPhelps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:08 pm With that said I always live by the principle that most musicians are stale and/Or looking for a steady paycheck by the time they're 40 so its hard to expect anything earth-shattering.
This is generally true which is why I am always fascinated by those who buck the trend.

Neil Young's Sleeps with Angels is a late career masterpiece. 69 year old Bowie's Black Star probably takes the prize for quality vs. age when it comes to rock. Then there's Tom Waits' Alice and Blood Money, Bob Dylan's Time out of Mind, Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel etc...

Unlike most Prog rock bands King Crimson have never put out a bad album.

Swans released their most critic and fan acclaimed series of albums after their comeback with Michael Gira pushing 60. Leonard Cohen was 40 in 1974 :lol:

Robert Wyatt never got stale.

Some bands like The Legendary Pink Dots, Ozric Tentacles and The Fall who don't have any super famous classic material to fall back on just seem to keep up a decent level of quality eternally with a ridiculous number of releases.

In the Electronic World Aphex Twin is never a let down and Autechre who have been a duo since 1987 just released their most ambitious album yet, spanning 8 CDs or 12 LPs.

I'm not even going to get into Jazz. All age bets are off with some peeps not even starting their career until they are into their 50s or 60s.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum A Tribe Called Quest were like 150 in rap years when they released their excellent final album.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:16 am

neandrewthal wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm I'm not even going to get into Jazz.
I will. Miles Davis. If we're talking about people who don't rest on laurels or get stale after 40.

at age 19, in at the ground floor of Bebop, but notice the harmonic complexity and clear phrasing, over the same 12 bar blues those guitarists get
SpoilerShow
at age 39, hiring the greatest minds in 70's jazz in the 60s, notice how his rhythm, note selection and phrasing have markedly changed
SpoilerShow
at age 43, playing his trumpet through a wah pedal. With a funk band. That cuica though...
SpoilerShow
at age 63 and 2 years before his death, still killing it and still trying to remain on the cutting edge
SpoilerShow
Anybody can play the guitar. I can and I squat sub-3playt

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:04 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:29 am Yes, I saw that. I don't believe SSCs were dissenting in E&P, though, so that's a different topic.

If that is correct about Bay Strength, then,

Katherine Bickford
Gwyn Brookes
Kelly Bryant
Jeremy Tully

And we know already,

Jordan Feigenbaum
Austin Baraki
Alan Thrall
Leah Lutz

and also,

Joe Pemberton (announced his bailing on his blog)
Tom Campitelli (I've not seen any official announcement, but SS is no longer mentioned on his website bio, nor is he listed as SSC on the forum, his last post is late Feb and last login end Apr, and of course we do know he's working with BBM)

That's 10. Any others bailed? Not just let things expire like Izzy did, but officially and formally quit?
pretty sure michaelwolf quit on rip.

i saw on his IG that he doesn't list "SSC" as a credential; got me curious

checked the SS SSC coach register thingy .... doesn't come up.

------------------

EDIT: yeah, if I seem to search for any SSC staff that are affiliated with BLOC, they don't come up as an SSC anymore.
This used to be not the case.
Gotcher, Skillin, Andrew Jackson, etc. ... gone.

... maybe this is old news and/or 'I'm doin it wrong' ?

I'm not going to check the whole BLOC staff, but Sully is the only one that seems to still hold dual certificates with both orgs.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:32 pm

@mbasic old news brah

call me when someone fist fights Rip

asdf

Post by asdf » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:29 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:04 pm Sully is the only one that seems to still hold dual certificates with both orgs.
Weird necro thread, but I'll play: Ness Oszast.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:59 am

asdf wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:29 pm
mbasic wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:04 pm Sully is the only one that seems to still hold dual certificates with both orgs.
Weird necro thread, but I'll play: Ness Oszast.
that's weird

Initially, I would think rip gave all of those BBL coaches an ultimatum. And gave Sully a pass or something.

But I bet those BBL peeps just saw no point in renewing their certs, I bet Ness just have some time left on her (newer) SSCert.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:26 am

Ness has been an SSC for a pretty long time, iirc. Possibly one of the more senior SSCs now?

I’m gonna guess that it costs nothing to maintain BLOC credentials, whatever they may be, as opposed to paying for the re-up on the SSC. I don’t think Rip cares if a coach works for BLOC and he might be legally required to not care based on what the settlement was.

Nevertheless, in the world of online coaching for novices, not much of that really matters. You basically need a website with some concise and clear content and some ability to market and get on people’s radar. Then you can write the simplest Rx and rehash basic nutritional advice for $100+ a month, based on the current evidence.