Over Eating Doesn't Cause Obesity?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

KringJ

Re: Over Eating Doesn't Cause Obesity?

Post by KringJ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 am

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:03 pm I just had to eat enough protein (which I needed anyway for muscle), and my hunger was controlled.
I would +1 this for weightloss. I increased my protein by about 75g a day a few weeks ago and have been losing weight consistently since after a few years of yo-you dieting. At the end of the day, the increased protein intake just makes me way less hungry and thus I am far less prone to overeating.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:03 pm I don't enjoy Layne's delivery. However, it seems to be working for him from a media standpoint.
I kind of agree?
His videos and posts tend to go something like this:
"Person/study/celebrity/TikToc says X. Now, that's kind of sort of a tiny bit right, but it's TOTAL BULLSHIT." (Insert very good breakdown of science, logic and reasoning behind his own claim and why what he is responding to is wrong)
The shortened clips get a little click-baity, which is how you make money on social media. I don't really mind it, I'm there for the science but hey, make your money man. From what I'm picking up from YANSS and Hidden Brain, it's not really going to change anyone's mind, probably?
KringJ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 am I would +1 this for weightloss. I increased my protein by about 75g a day a few weeks ago and have been losing weight consistently since after a few years of yo-you dieting. At the end of the day, the increased protein intake just makes me way less hungry and thus I am far less prone to overeating.
If eating +75g of P helps you reduce your total caloric intake by >300, sure, probably? I've found that Carbon has me on lower protein intake both while cutting and while "reverse dieting" than I had ever been doing before (previously I would target 1g/lb BW, was about .9g/lb on cut and .85g/lb on reverse diet) and I seem to be maintaining strength? Hard to tell because I keep changing my main goal and thus my programming.

KringJ

Post by KringJ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:30 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am

If eating +75g of P helps you reduce your total caloric intake by >300, sure, probably? I've found that Carbon has me on lower protein intake both while cutting and while "reverse dieting" than I had ever been doing before (previously I would target 1g/lb BW, was about .9g/lb on cut and .85g/lb on reverse diet) and I seem to be maintaining strength? Hard to tell because I keep changing my main goal and thus my programming.
It might just be a difference in appetite more than anything. I've always been able to eat a lot. I originally had targets similar to yours and I never seemed to have problems maintaining strength either, it was just a lot easier for me to overeat calorically even when consuming satiating foods.

I dont know that the extra protein is making any difference in my rate of progress in the gym either as I was already progressing pretty steadily beforehand. Doesnt hurt though

alek

Post by alek » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:23 am

@JohnHelton, Layne can be pretty caustic. I go through periods where I can watch him and times where I can't.

I think the biggest thing for me that I've learned from him, Jordan, Nadolsky, Aragon, and others is that there is no diet that is better than the others when an apples to apples comparison is made. I also find that very empowering and convenient. Could you imagine if there were such a diet that was superior in terms of weightloss? Suppose that special diet was alternate day fasting, but what if you couldn't adhere to or otherwise hated ADF? Well then you'd simply be shit out of luck; good luck with your weightloss.

So I think what's most powerful about the EBM is that once you equate calories, any diet that you can adhere to will lead to weightloss or gain, depending on your goals. And you can do that with whatever diet you like or have found that works for you.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:15 am I've found that Carbon has me on lower protein intake both while cutting and while "reverse dieting" than I had ever been doing before (previously I would target 1g/lb BW, was about .9g/lb on cut and .85g/lb on reverse diet) and I seem to be maintaining strength? Hard to tell because I keep changing my main goal and thus my programming.
That's inline with what i've read here
https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of ... ybuilders/
And iirc BBM have refrenced these findings/studies as well

I don't know, but i think i read for enhanced that would be different
*Yeah, that is refrenced in the linked article.

I get .75 from whey and .9 total daily.
The extra being mostly peanut butter which isn't very complete.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:59 am

@Wilhelm Thanks for the article. I've heard of those study results before, but it is nice to see it aggregated. I don't have a problem eating a lot of protein normally, but it can be brutal on a cut. Nice to know that you don't have to go crazy. If you generally keep it above .7-.75g/lb, then you should be fine.