Adjustable dumbbells/kettlebells, weight stack pulldown? Ya or nay?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Re: Adjustable dumbbells/kettlebells, weight stack pulldown? Ya or nay?

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:53 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:31 am Once you go Full Rack you never go back. With a good multi-tier rack it really doesn't even take up that much space if you can fit it against a wall.

If I had to choose an adjustable, it would be Ironmasters. If I was broke, Olympic handles and good collars.

I don't think rotating handles are valuable at all for the majority of people.
I did some measuring and I can absolutely fit a rack o’ bells in the basement.

Also eyeballin’ the Titan lat pull selectorized. Out of stock.

I want to buy a new RME soundcard. Out of stock.

Toyota released the new tundra. I want. Covid strikes again. Microchips. Can’t have it until??

Cabin fell through last year, can’t travel to the us, and I’ve never had so much disposable money piled up in my life and I can’t do anything with it.

I CAN buy some dumbbells. No hurry so I’m hoping there’s a bit of covid sell off

Wasn’t sure on the rotating handles. Rip has a video,on them. I know not much love for the guy but he made a case for rotation, but ya he also said you could loosen the grip on a snatch.

I think that’s a custom dealio anyway. I’ve only seen “solid” handles on any bells.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:20 am
Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:18 am I have a pair of Powerblock DB's, mostly because of Covid. They are okay, but I would totally have a giant rack with a DB selection in a heartbeat if I had room. The Nordic Track ones look okay, but they would be awkward for a lot of exercises.
Which dumbbells would you buy?

I watched the SS video on dumbbells and while mark doesn’t get a lot of love here his video made sense (rotating sleeves, max diameter plates).

I haven’t seen rotating handle dumbbells. Ho big a deal would that be?

It hasn’t been a problem for me. I use the spin locks and make mine as needed.

As I get older I want convenience
The Powerblock sometimes get sketchy mid set, to be honest. I've had the pin thingies move and stuff starts swinging around. Not cool, but I only do slower movements with them anyway so not particularly dngerous for me. If I had to buy adjustables, it would be those Ironmasters or some nice handles with some really good collars. Honestly though, I would go really far out of my way to build up a collection for a full rack, even if that meant buying in stages and slowly accumulating them.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:53 pm
murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:31 am Once you go Full Rack you never go back. With a good multi-tier rack it really doesn't even take up that much space if you can fit it against a wall.

If I had to choose an adjustable, it would be Ironmasters. If I was broke, Olympic handles and good collars.

I don't think rotating handles are valuable at all for the majority of people.
I did some measuring and I can absolutely fit a rack o’ bells in the basement.

Also eyeballin’ the Titan lat pull selectorized. Out of stock.

I want to buy a new RME soundcard. Out of stock.

Toyota released the new tundra. I want. Covid strikes again. Microchips. Can’t have it until??

Cabin fell through last year, can’t travel to the us, and I’ve never had so much disposable money piled up in my life and I can’t do anything with it.

I CAN buy some dumbbells. No hurry so I’m hoping there’s a bit of covid sell off

Wasn’t sure on the rotating handles. Rip has a video,on them. I know not much love for the guy but he made a case for rotation, but ya he also said you could loosen the grip on a snatch.

I think that’s a custom dealio anyway. I’ve only seen “solid” handles on any bells.
Rotating handles are honestly not appealing at all to me, and probably annoying to use in real life with anything remotely heavy. I know that the fasted way to make a grip event twice as awful in Strongman is to make the handles rotate freely.