wlforums.com

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

asdf

wlforums.com

Post by asdf » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:16 pm

Anyone know what happened to the Weightlifting Forums? Seems like they've been down for a while.

https://wlforums.com/

damufunman

Re: wlforums.com

Post by damufunman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:46 am

asdf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:16 pm Anyone know what happened to the Weightlifting Forums? Seems like they've been down for a while.

https://wlforums.com/
I haven't gone there in a long time, from what I could tell from at least 2 years ago it was overrun with bots and I was getting frequent account hacks/attempts. Not sure what's been going on since then.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:44 pm

damufunman wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:46 am I haven't gone there in a long time, from what I could tell from at least 2 years ago it was overrun with bots and I was getting frequent account hacks/attempts. Not sure what's been going on since then.
I was there a month or so ago. I found several long threads that interested me, but that I didn't have time to read, so I bookmarked them. Now it seems the site is gone. Pretty sure @mbasic used to post there.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 am

asdf wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:44 pm
damufunman wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:46 am I haven't gone there in a long time, from what I could tell from at least 2 years ago it was overrun with bots and I was getting frequent account hacks/attempts. Not sure what's been going on since then.
I was there a month or so ago. I found several long threads that interested me, but that I didn't have time to read, so I bookmarked them. Now it seems the site is gone. Pretty sure @mbasic used to post there.
Weird. Maybe the long threads were about shutting the site down... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:19 pm

damufunman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 am
asdf wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:44 pm
Weird. Maybe the long threads were about shutting the site down... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Actually, what damn-man said....

...the guy who opened and maintained that forum, posted a long piece / thread asking the remaining members what he should do with the site....because traffic was so slow and non-existent. That was about 10 months ago. I'm actually surprised it has been around for as long as it has since then.

There were about half a dozen very knowledgeable lifters/quasi-coaches who posted there. That Erpel's knowledge and background info wrt weightlifting was very interesting. That place was the polar opposite of the reddit/weightlifting..... was a great resource at times.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:59 pm

damufunman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 am Maybe the long threads were about shutting the site down... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, one was about Boris Severov and the other was about Prilipen's chart.
mbasic wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:19 pm There were about half a dozen very knowledgeable lifters/quasi-coaches who posted there.
Yep. Wish I'd finished those threads before the site evaporated.

Found a Google cache of the beginning of the Severov thread.

Do either of you know who the poster "strapping" is?

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:29 am

asdf wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:59 pm Do either of you know who the poster "strapping" is?
No idea, haven't been on there in 2+ years, and didn't follow anything closely.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:54 am

asdf wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:59 pm
damufunman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 am Maybe the long threads were about shutting the site down... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, one was about Boris Severov and the other was about Prilipen's chart.
mbasic wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:19 pm There were about half a dozen very knowledgeable lifters/quasi-coaches who posted there.
Yep. Wish I'd finished those threads before the site evaporated.

Found a Google cache of the beginning of the Severov thread.

Do either of you know who the poster "strapping" is?
Don't know, because I can't see the site....to refresh my memory. (that archieve thing aint working for me right now)

There was one dude there that trained in the Ukraine, was a lower tier international competitor. Trained under some elite level coaches ... (Europe, etc). That might be him.

================

That place was funny. I remember when Rio was going on, we all logged in and were doing a defacto live chat as sessions were underway, watching the live stream....commenting.

Some of those (WLforums) people would post on the r/weightlifting reddit as well.... but not a whole lot.
The WL-reddit is filled with retards. Noise to signal ratio isn't worth investing much time into that place.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:00 am

@mgil

might pay to have an "Olympic Weightlifting" subforum here if that place did cease to exist?

If that place did go down, we could advertise that on the r/WL reddit ...

IDK, maybe a disaster too?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:01 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:00 am @mgil

might pay to have an "Olympic Weightlifting" subforum here if that place did cease to exist?

If that place did go down, we could advertise that on the r/WL reddit ...

IDK, maybe a disaster too?
I made a poll to gauge interest