Do cambered swiss bench bars carry over to regular bench?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hector

Do cambered swiss bench bars carry over to regular bench?

Post by hector » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:06 pm

Have cambered Swiss bars (like the Kabuki Kadillac Bar or Bells of Steel Arch Nemesis bar) helped anyone here improve their regular flat bench press numbers?

I can see a use case for people who need that perpendicular grip. Or for people who don't care about using a regular Barbell. I'm neither of those.

I always wondered about the Kadillac bar, but it was expensive enough i never seriously considered it. Rep has a clone out now for half the price, so I'm half considering. But would still appreciate any first hand experience.

adamv

Re: Do cambered swiss bench bars carry over to regular bench?

Post by adamv » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm

I've been using one since January. For me, it's a 3rd bench slot (of 4 per week) exercise that has a similar ROM to a dumbbell bench but easier to go heavier on. I doubt it's high on the list of things driving my bench right now, but I like the variety.

I've wondered about the design of the rep cambered swiss bar. Seems like you only get a larger ROM from the widest grip.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:22 am

If novelty/variety helps drive volume then hypertrophy should follow.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:39 pm

I just ordered the Arch Nemesis so will find out soon. Much like @adamv , i plan to use it as 1 of 4 pressing days. For mainly to save shoulders.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:02 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:39 pm I just ordered the Arch Nemesis so will find out soon. Much like @adamv , i plan to use it as 1 of 4 pressing days. For mainly to save shoulders.
Can't wait to hear your review!

hector

Post by hector » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:05 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:22 am If novelty/variety helps drive volume then hypertrophy should follow.
Does the longer rom help hypertrophy? Or would it not, since the longer rom means lower weights are used?

hector

Post by hector » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:08 pm

adamv wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:25 pm I've been using one since January. For me, it's a 3rd bench slot (of 4 per week) exercise that has a similar ROM to a dumbbell bench but easier to go heavier on. I doubt it's high on the list of things driving my bench right now, but I like the variety.

I've wondered about the design of the rep cambered swiss bar. Seems like you only get a larger ROM from the widest grip.
I hadn't noticed but i think youre right. I would have thought you'd want the longer rom on more grips. Not sure why they did it that way.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:53 pm

hector wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:05 pm
mgil wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:22 am If novelty/variety helps drive volume then hypertrophy should follow.
Does the longer rom help hypertrophy? Or would it not, since the longer rom means lower weights are used?
I don’t think the longer ROM is a huge factor for hypertrophy since they are both similar.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am

hector wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:02 pm
TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:39 pm I just ordered the Arch Nemesis so will find out soon. Much like @adamv , i plan to use it as 1 of 4 pressing days. For mainly to save shoulders.
Havent trained with it yet but came in today. Build seems pretty good. Have to be careful with how light it is [25lbs] when loading. I think the handle placement will be good for me. I'll be using it with monos so a little worried about the smaller lip having to catch a thicker bar but think I'll be ok. No rust issues

hector

Post by hector » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:46 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am
hector wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:02 pm
Havent trained with it yet but came in today. Build seems pretty good. Have to be careful with how light it is [25lbs] when loading. I think the handle placement will be good for me. I'll be using it with monos so a little worried about the smaller lip having to catch a thicker bar but think I'll be ok. No rust issues

Nice!
Can't wait to hear how you like training with it.
I dont know why this is italicized.