Stupid Questions Thread - Nutrition

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

CamLeslie

Re: Stupid Questions Thread - Nutrition

Post by CamLeslie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:05 am

Dumb Question:
I've been dieting using MacroFactor for almost 12 weeks now, (80 days), and lost 11 pounds (223-212lbs). I feel pretty good, still eating 2600 calories, lifting a couple times a week. My question is should I keep going after 12 weeks. I watched a podcast with Mike Isratael that said to stop at 12 weeks and take 12 weeks off then resume. Like I said earlier, I feel pretty good. I'm making progress and am not dreading continuing. Does anybody have any experience with long cuts or thoughts on what I should do?

edit: I'm not yoked or anything, probably 20-25% BF.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 am

Can't imagine forcing yourself to diet break for a full 12 weeks when you don't want to is a good idea. Who has the time for that?

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:39 am

@CamLeslie I've heard Dr. Mike say that. The SBS guys don't buy it. I think it has more to do with taking a mental break rather than a physical break. If you feel good, then keep going. If you get tired of cutting, then go to maintenance for awhile. But I would keep going if I were in your shoes.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:41 pm

As John mentioned, implementing a diet break is largely a preventative measure to avoid the negative psychological effects that can come from prolonged dieting. Psychologically, you are in control of the process rather than breaking down and binge-eating as a result of the diet. There isn't much data on the physiological side of things for "athletes", but transient improvements in training quality and muscle mass retention due to improved muscle glycogen and consequently, reduced fatigue are theoretically possible. This is ultimately a mute point, though, when you dive back under and resume a calorie deficit. On the personal side of things, a few years ago I was in a calorie deficit for 19 straight months and I never felt the need to implement one, though they do have their uses of course.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 pm

lheugh wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:41 pmOn the personal side of things, a few years ago I was in a calorie deficit for 19 straight months...
Genuinely curious ... why so long, if you don't mind me asking?

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:04 pm
lheugh wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:41 pmOn the personal side of things, a few years ago I was in a calorie deficit for 19 straight months...
Genuinely curious ... why so long, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind at all - I let myself balloon up to 169kg and dropped down to 98kg (which at 6'7 was a bit too light but I wanted to give myself a longer runway to improve body composition when I upped calories again).

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:51 am

You can also do a "reverse diet," where you very slowly increase calories over a few weeks to improve your baseline maintenance calories.
Trying to find a good single Instagram post about it, but not seeing the one I am looking for at the moment.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:25 am

Is there a practical difference between maintenance and hazy diet compliance?

I’ve been on a slow cut since September, and I have been compliant enough to steadily drop weight, but there have been weeks where weight loss has stagnated and even reversed.
I feel like this approach (for me, right now) is way more sustainable than a hard cut, and I don’t feel the need (for me, right now) for an official maintenance period.
That may change when summer time comes and my daily structure is eradicated.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:26 am

augeleven wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:25 am Is there a practical difference between maintenance and hazy diet compliance?

I’ve been on a slow cut since September, and I have been compliant enough to steadily drop weight, but there have been weeks where weight loss has stagnated and even reversed.
I feel like this approach (for me, right now) is way more sustainable than a hard cut, and I don’t feel the need (for me, right now) for an official maintenance period.
That may change when summer time comes and my daily structure is eradicated.
I don't think your body knows the difference. If you are maintaining a certain weight, then you are physically in maintenance. I don't know if it is better psychologically to tell yourself you are cutting but not be in compliance vs being in maintenance and complying. The alternative might be to tell yourself you are in maintenance and not comply. That would definitively be worse. Been there, done that.