Pepin Fast Adjustable Dumbbells

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hector

Pepin Fast Adjustable Dumbbells

Post by hector » Wed May 18, 2022 8:51 am

$2,000 is out of my price range, but if it weren't, these look nice. They also look more durable than the Nuobell.

https://www.dumbbellpepin.com/product-p ... ies-240lbs

Dollar for dollar, used Ironmasters might still be the best value for adjustable dumbbells.

murphyreedus

Re: Pepin Fast Adjustable Dumbbells

Post by murphyreedus » Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am

This is the first I've seen the Pepin Fast model, but the Ironmasters are cheaper for more weight and are the best adjustables I've ever used, and I think people make too big of a deal about the weight change times.

75# IM set: 869
heavy handles kit (+15 pounds/handle): 159
120 expansion: 399

$1427 + tax shipped for 5-135# dumbbells and a stand is hard to beat. Throw in the microplates for $40 and you can also have 1.25-2.5# weight increments up to 130/hand (I think), which I find really handy with dumbbells.

My main knock on IM right now is the availability. They aren't doing the lottery anymore, which I never won anyway, but they are still selling out very fast. I just managed to snag the 120 expansion kit this week, and it's on the way.

hector

Post by hector » Wed May 18, 2022 3:44 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am This is the first I've seen the Pepin Fast model, but the Ironmasters are cheaper for more weight and are the best adjustables I've ever used, and I think people make too big of a deal about the weight change times.

$1427 + tax shipped for 5-135# dumbbells and a stand is hard to beat. Throw in the microplates for $40 and you can also have 1.25-2.5# weight increments up to 130/hand (I think), which I find really handy with dumbbells.

My main knock on IM right now is the availability. They aren't doing the lottery anymore, which I never won anyway, but they are still selling out very fast. I just managed to snag the 120 expansion kit this week, and it's on the way.
F.
Thanks for the wake up call. I was still waiting to win the IM lottery.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm

Aside from the 120lb max and the changing method, these look pretty similar functionally to Power Blocks. The side bar that holds the weight adjustment mechanism gives the same cage design the PBs have, which are way cheaper for 90lbs.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed May 18, 2022 6:50 pm

hector wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:44 pm
F.
Thanks for the wake up call. I was still waiting to win the IM lottery.
Definitely sign up for the waiting list if you aren't on it already. I know the 120 kit just came in and sold out, but they're still listing the 75# set as mid/late May restock.
damufunman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm Aside from the 120lb max and the changing method, these look pretty similar functionally to Power Blocks. The side bar that holds the weight adjustment mechanism gives the same cage design the PBs have, which are way cheaper for 90lbs.
Yeah, I should probably compare them to PBs since the normal Pepins are more like the IMs. I don't really like anything about PBs, so it'll be interesting to see a review on these.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:02 am This is the first I've seen the Pepin Fast model, but the Ironmasters are cheaper for more weight and are the best adjustables I've ever used, and I think people make too big of a deal about the weight change times.

I have the old school “spin lock” collars and plate for 100lbs per bell. I hate them. They work, but are useless for benching. (Can’t rest them on my knees).

Was looking at iron masters. Never in stock.

The pepins are basically reverse spin locks.

If you had existing plate would you have considered the pep in handles? 600 bucks.

Not sure if I should wait for IM or just get the pep in handles.

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun May 22, 2022 7:33 pm

I hate that the Ironmasters are $200 more than they were 2 years ago but they're still by far the best deal (if you can get them) when you take everything into account.

I'll probably break down and get powerblocks next year if I can't get ironmasters by then. I came very close to buying Nuobells but decided even though I don't drop my dumbbells I don't want to have to treat my lifting equipment like fragile china -- lifting heavy is stressful enough.

The Peppins look pretty cool and potentially solve the one problem most people have with most versions of Powerblocks (your hand is caged) -- but they're seriously $1000 overpriced. While ONE benefit of the adjustables is space, the main benefit, I think, is cost. $2300 is comparable to prices for relatively nice full sets -- especially if you loook at used.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun May 22, 2022 7:43 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm If you had existing plate would you have considered the pep in handles? 600 bucks.

Comparing the Pepin HD/Pro series to Ironmaster:

I am 100% happy with the Ironmasters so far, but if a set of Pepins pops up locally for a good price I'm sure I'd get them to try them out (I have an equipment acquisition problem). That said, I think the Ironmaster design is superior with the square plates that nest together, adding to security and making plate changes very easy, whereas the Pepins just look like nice "reverse spinlocks".

The only weak point to the IMs is the stand, which feels like it was an afterthought (the IM owner did say they're working on a redesigned stand, though, so might not be a problem for much longer). Pepin's stand looks nice, but it's expensive.

Also, if you already have the plates, you can use them with the Ironmaster handles, as @TimK's nice video demonstrates:

https://www.exodus-strength.com/forum/v ... php?t=3173

Ironmaster is still listing mid/late May for restock on the 75# kit, so I'd just say get on the waiting list and see what happens in the next week or two.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 am

murphyreedus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:43 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm If you had existing plate would you have considered the pep in handles? 600 bucks.

Comparing the Pepin HD/Pro series to Ironmaster:

I am 100% happy with the Ironmasters so far, but if a set of Pepins pops up locally for a good price I'm sure I'd get them to try them out (I have an equipment acquisition problem). That said, I think the Ironmaster design is superior with the square plates that nest together, adding to security and making plate changes very easy, whereas the Pepins just look like nice "reverse spinlocks".

The only weak point to the IMs is the stand, which feels like it was an afterthought (the IM owner did say they're working on a redesigned stand, though, so might not be a problem for much longer). Pepin's stand looks nice, but it's expensive.

Also, if you already have the plates, you can use them with the Ironmaster handles, as @TimK's nice video demonstrates:

https://www.exodus-strength.com/forum/v ... php?t=3173

Ironmaster is still listing mid/late May for restock on the 75# kit, so I'd just say get on the waiting list and see what happens in the next week or two.
Nice video link. Gives me another option but I’m wondering why iron master is still having supply issues?? Most others seem to be back on tr@TimK

Still trying to wrap my head around 400-600 for reverse spin locks since spin locks are about 50-60 bu@TimK

I guess whatever the market will @TimK