Rogue's New Belt Squat - Monster Rhino - AKA What I wish my nickname was

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Testiclaw

Re: Rogue's New Belt Squat - Monster Rhino - AKA What I wish my nickname was

Post by Testiclaw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 pm

damufunman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am
Testiclaw wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:03 am
iamsmu wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 pm Has anyone tried to use a double pulley system for belt squats? It seems like you could use a low pulley, such as one set up for seated rows, and attach a belt to it. The other pulley would be high and connected to a loading pin. I'm not sure if the cross member would get in the way of your feet. . . . . I guess you could also just stand on blocks and use the loading pin with smaller plates and skip the pulley complexity.
I've used homemade lever ones, machined/manufactured lever ones, and a pulley one (the original Westside version, not their newer "ATP").

I prefer the lever versions.

The pulley ones just...feels weird.
Could you elaborate on this? I'm thinking of the pulley/cable version as well, cuz then I'd could get a low row (and probably pull down) set up as well.
It's kind of hard to explain, but the line of pull isn't always straight down. Free-weight on a belt will hang and pull straight down, and levers tend not to move over a large enough distance to really arc that much, but the pulley ones seem "easier" to get into a position that has a funny line of pull. It's just more pronounced than the other methods.

It's not a huge deal, and if a cable option is what gives you the most bang for your buck I'd be in favor of it. I'm just being picky.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Testiclaw wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 pm
iamsmu wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 pm Has anyone tried to use a double pulley system for belt squats? It seems like you could use a low pulley, such as one set up for seated rows, and attach a belt to it. The other pulley would be high and connected to a loading pin. I'm not sure if the cross member would get in the way of your feet. . . . . I guess you could also just stand on blocks and use the loading pin with smaller plates and skip the pulley complexity.
I've used homemade lever ones, machined/manufactured lever ones, and a pulley one (the original Westside version, not their newer "ATP").

Could you elaborate on this? I'm thinking of the pulley/cable version as well, cuz then I'd could get a low row (and probably pull down) set up as well.
It's kind of hard to explain, but the line of pull isn't always straight down. Free-weight on a belt will hang and pull straight down, and levers tend not to move over a large enough distance to really arc that much, but the pulley ones seem "easier" to get into a position that has a funny line of pull. It's just more pronounced than the other methods.

It's not a huge deal, and if a cable option is what gives you the most bang for your buck I'd be in favor of it. I'm just being picky.
Ok just curious, but that makes sense. Still not sure which way to go yet, don't even know if I'd use a cable thing.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:00 pm

Testiclaw wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 pm

I use a lever belt squat (Wenning knockoff) and the forward pull is pretty brutal as I get into the hole, it feels like the force vector is mostly horizontal at the bottom, so I think this is hugely machine and anthropometry dependent

it’s awkward enough that I’ve tweaked my knees on it a few times